Clones starting to root: now what?

CassieA

Hi there,

Its my first time cloning and I have been anxiously waiting to see roots. It’s been over 3 weeks since I took my cuttings (followed all the proper cutting practices) I have them under a led light bulb meant for growing. Heat mat under humidity dome set at 73. Out of about 12 I am just starting to see roots poke out of the jiffy cube. They are not long, just the tips. Should I be transplanting these now into solo cups? I see conflicting info online. I’m worried I will leave them too long in humidity dome and loose all the effort I’ve put in.
Thanks.

Go ahead and put them into a clear solo cup (with holes in the bottom), sleeved with a colored solo cup. Fill half way with soil, then fill to about 1/4” over the pod. (I should have used more soil for mine)

Be sure to use a good soil (not too hot).

I have a good instructional thread in my signature to walk you through it all. (Soil build, clones, transplanting)

Thanks for the reply. I was wondering what the clear cup does inside the red solo cup? Can I not just place the jiffy pod inside the red solo? Or is there a major advantage to the clear cups ? Thanks again

That makes total sense thanks. I should have thought of that. I’ll look for some clear cups to get started. I assume that it’s not too soon to put in the cups based on these pics? Or should I wait a bit longer. Thanks again

Attachments

• 85204773-6047-41DE-826E-F85BA4F42647.png
    85204773-6047-41DE-826E-F85BA4F42647.png
    4 MB · Views: 135
  • 6B4356A1-887E-44E7-9EF6-23BD3968AF3D.png
    6B4356A1-887E-44E7-9EF6-23BD3968AF3D.png
    4.4 MB · Views: 128
The roots are showing, if they don't go into soil fast the roots will get air trimmed an those outside the pellet will shrivel.

If you can't get clear cups tomorrow I'd say go into the red ones.

Hi there

Hope you can answer one more question.

I have transplanted the clones into the clear cups and am trying to research what’s the best way to water.

(It’s a mix of a little soil and more coco that I’m using.)

I’m trying to decide between the following:

1) water from top until runoff like I do with the mother’s

2) water just a little bit (1-2oz) from top to moisten soil

3) set cups in water and let plants absorb from bottom.

Thanks for any advice

Attachments

• A76BEBC6-46A0-4309-818F-8019B1FAABE7.png
    A76BEBC6-46A0-4309-818F-8019B1FAABE7.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 99
Thanks for the reply.

Your plant looks great and I grew dos si do 2 grows ago. Great strain!

Before I saw your post I watered about the same amount as you mentioned but I watered the whole cup (not just outsides). I see that there is lots of wetness inside the cup. Small holes at bottom drained standing water out. I will wait till it hopefully dries in a day or 2 and then use your method.

Happy growing.

Thanks for the reply.

Your plant looks great and I grew dos si do 2 grows ago. Great strain!

Before I saw your post I watered about the same amount as you mentioned but I watered the whole cup (not just outsides). I see that there is lots of wetness inside the cup. Small holes at bottom drained standing water out. I will wait till it hopefully dries in a day or 2 and then use your method.

Happy growing.
Thanks! The mother is huge! Super excited to see how she turns out but she still has a month to go lol so gotta play the waiting game..
I would pour the excess water out let the roots search for more water stretching their feet otherwise the roots would not keep growing if it knows there's always water in the middle.
Let me how it turns out!

Back
Top Bottom