Clones

Cannaconnect

Hello I put my clones in 1 gallon fabric pots. Fed 4-4-4 Gaia 400-600 ppm
And putting under t8 light. August 5th today. I will be taking outside in 2022 spring. How do I keep them small 12”-16”? Over winter.

image.jpg

Don’t have your lights too far away, or you’ll get stretch. Keep your room cooler than 26 degrees c.
Make sure your “day time” and “night time” temps don’t vary more than 10c

I am going to assume that those already have roots and are healthy and growing. That is the most important thing right now. Get them growing roots with some new stems and leaves and looking healthy.

Keeping them small until next spring can be done after they have a good root system and a good canopy. Then, the next step is to cut back on everything that we have learned about having healthy fast growing plants. What you will want to do is get the plants into a sort of winter time dormant stage. They will be alive but barely growing.

In my case, the flowering cabinet would be filled and I would still have plants in the vegetating stage so there were several things I would do to slow them down. But, the plants have to be healthy to start. Lower the temperature of the area. Easy to do in the winter. Night time or "lights off" temperatures in the low to mid 50s and day time or "lights on" temps in the mid to upper 60s will really slow them down. The plants will tolerate temps down into the 30s F but no point in pushing it.

Cut back on the water. Let the soil dry out more than usual. Don't push it though. If the plant starts to wilt then give water. Keep it at the point just before it starts to wilt. If you let it wilt to much or to often the roots will start to die and that is another reason you will need a healthy root ball before starting.

Cut back on the lighting. For the 24 hour cycle I went with about 13 hours on, then 5 hours off, then half the lights came on for an hour and a half and then everything off again for 4 and half hours. This sort of 24 light cycle is something called the Gas Lantern Routine. Look it up here on this message board and by doing google style searches. It is so different from what we have learned that it takes some getting used to.

Then, come early spring, you will have to bring them back. Start to bring the temperatures up to encourage leaf growth. Start to water more. Put the lights on a longer "lights on" schedule, maybe 10 hours of lights off and 14 on for a week or two and then start increasing the "lights on" to 16 hours and then to 18 on.

Then when spring comes outside the plants are ready to go out. And, that is spring determined by how warm the soil is outside, how the lawn, the trees and shrubs and other outdoor plants are starting to green up again, and not just by the date on the calendar.

I am going to assume that those already have roots and are healthy and growing. That is the most important thing right now. Get them growing roots with some new stems and leaves and looking healthy.

Keeping them small until next spring can be done after they have a good root system and a good canopy. Then, the next step is to cut back on everything that we have learned about having healthy fast growing plants. What you will want to do is get the plants into a sort of winter time dormant stage. They will be alive but barely growing.

In my case, the flowering cabinet would be filled and I would still have plants in the vegetating stage so there were several things I would do to slow them down. But, the plants have to be healthy to start. Lower the temperature of the area. Easy to do in the winter. Night time or "lights off" temperatures in the low to mid 50s and day time or "lights on" temps in the mid to upper 60s will really slow them down. The plants will tolerate temps down into the 30s F but no point in pushing it.

Cut back on the water. Let the soil dry out more than usual. Don't push it though. If the plant starts to wilt then give water. Keep it at the point just before it starts to wilt. If you let it wilt to much or to often the roots will start to die and that is another reason you will need a healthy root ball before starting.

Cut back on the lighting. For the 24 hour cycle I went with about 13 hours on, then 5 hours off, then half the lights came on for an hour and a half and then everything off again for 4 and half hours. This sort of 24 light cycle is something called the Gas Lantern Routine. Look it up here on this message board and by doing google style searches. It is so different from what we have learned that it takes some getting used to.

Then, come early spring, you will have to bring them back. Start to bring the temperatures up to encourage leaf growth. Start to water more. Put the lights on a longer "lights on" schedule, maybe 10 hours of lights off and 14 on for a week or two and then start increasing the "lights on" to 16 hours and then to 18 on.

Then when spring comes outside the plants are ready to go out. And, that is spring determined by how warm the soil is outside, how the lawn, the trees and shrubs and other outdoor plants are starting to green up again, and not just by the date on the calendar.
I’m leaving 18/6 now
Thank you for tips please let me know more

What do you mean flowering cabinet. ?

they are in my shed for now. I just put in fabric pots with organic mp soil and Gaia green 4-4-4 all purpose fertilizer
In water and made a 500 ppm average rain water bubbled drink. Is this ok?
So I will keep these growing tillfew new leaves and branches. Then I will cut back on feeding to just very little water just before wilting. Right?

image.jpg

A cabinet, kind of like the cabinet under your kitchen sink but my cabinet was larger, 4 foot 10 inches high and 5 foot long and 4 foot wide. My plants would only go into the cabinet when it was time to put them into the flowering stage. I had another area where they were allowed to be in the vegetating stage or were dormant.
So I will keep these growing tillfew new leaves and branches. Then I will cut back on feeding to just very little water just before wilting. Right?
No, you need to build a good healthy root system and a good healthy canopy. That will take several weeks and it will be a lot more than a few new leaves and branches.

It is going to be rough trying to pull it off. There are about 8 months till the plants can go outside.

I am going to figure that you are in the Northern Hemisphere, either the US or Canada, possibly Europe. I can't relate to what your usual weather will be next spring beyond that. The spring of 2022 does not mean March 20th which is the calendar date. You will need to consider the temperatures during the day and night and the soil temperature. More likely you will not be able to put them outside until some time in late April or early May when there is enough daylight to prevent the plants from going into flower way to early. Even in the southern US the weather has warmed up and trees and shrubs are turning green but it is to early for these plants because of the amount of light. You also have to consider whether you are going to put them outside and grow them in the ground or grow them in containers.

It looks like you have 15 cuttings in your shed, about 6 inches tall measured from the soil to the top of the tallest stem. You might be better off growing them up to a decent size over the next 6 weeks or so and then start to flower all of them.

Something that should have been asked earlier, are these plants photo-period or auto-flower? The strain does not matter at the moment, just whether they are auto-flower.

A cabinet, kind of like the cabinet under your kitchen sink but my cabinet was larger, 4 foot 10 inches high and 5 foot long and 4 foot wide. My plants would only go into the cabinet when it was time to put them into the flowering stage. I had another area where they were allowed to be in the vegetating stage or were dormant.

No, you need to build a good healthy root system and a good healthy canopy. That will take several weeks and it will be a lot more than a few new leaves and branches.

It is going to be rough trying to pull it off. There are about 8 months till the plants can go outside.

I am going to figure that you are in the Northern Hemisphere, either the US or Canada, possibly Europe. I can't relate to what your usual weather will be next spring beyond that. The spring of 2022 does not mean March 20th which is the calendar date. You will need to consider the temperatures during the day and night and the soil temperature. More likely you will not be able to put them outside until some time in late April or early May when there is enough daylight to prevent the plants from going into flower way to early. Even in the southern US the weather has warmed up and trees and shrubs are turning green but it is to early for these plants because of the amount of light. You also have to consider whether you are going to put them outside and grow them in the ground or grow them in containers.

It looks like you have 15 cuttings in your shed, about 6 inches tall measured from the soil to the top of the tallest stem. You might be better off growing them up to a decent size over the next 6 weeks or so and then start to flower all of them.

Something that should have been asked earlier, are these plants photo-period or auto-flower? The strain does not matter at the moment, just whether they are auto-flower.
These are photo. I’m in Ontario Canada.
I will grow them in shed till I get these as you see in picture done drying in my tent to cure. End October let’s say. Then those clones I’ll put in my tent that is in basement and use a led light with minimal water for feeding. Over the winter.

9564D064-E65B-459C-AEA8-36490B06E4B0.jpeg

Those plants are looking good.

Ontario, the part of Canada that those of us in southeastern Michigan find to our east, our north and to the south.;)

A tent in the basement will help make the clones grow slower since most basements really cool down during the winter.

Back
Top Bottom