Cloning and cloning and cloning

Germy

Not having good luck with clones without my aero cloner. Just moved to soil from hydro and am trying to learn as quickly as possible. Once I take a cutting, I dip it and stick it. Haven't been exposing cambium as much as sticky shows. I can start doing that. My issue is heat. To get humidity up, I lower my lights, more heat is captured in there. It gets to 85 ish with my light far enough away to maintain humidity. What is optimal humidity? 70-80% ? I am using rockwool and rootech. Any suggestions? Should I raise the light all the way up and add a heat mat? Should I just ditch the dome and use a heat mat or just remove the dome? Help me. Continuing to read now.

You are taking the right approach. Keep reading, keep trying. There is so much detail in cloning; one little thing wrong makes the whole batch wrong. Think about making a cake, from scratch. What would it taste like if you leave one ingredient out? An egg, the salt. What if you had the heat wrong in the oven?

Look at cloning like a recipe. Write down the directions, follow each one to the letter.

You say you are using an aerocloner ... then you say you are using rockwool. Which is it?

I have not had much luck with aerocloners ... I just can't get em to work. And I don't use rockwool any more - instead I use Oasis Cubes.

Find a good 'how to' on cloning - there are a couple of them that are quite good here. Print it, and check off each point as you execute.

~ Auggie ~

Any cloning wizards around?!

Germy,
Well I wouldn't say I'm a wizard at anything, but I have had excellent cloning success with Bubble Buckets. Over 90% success rate (really higher, I've only lost one out of many dozens over the years) with hardly any fuss. Here's a link to another thread partially describing the method. It works great for me! I get insane root growth in just a couple of weeks.

Bubble Cloning after care help!

Best Of Buds

JB

It's real easy to get rockwool too wet. Real easy. It should be damp, not wet - or the stem will rot.

How are you watering the clone cube? By dipping in ph'd water? Just do a very quick dip. Just the bottom fourth of the cube, for just one second. Damp. Not wet -- DAMP.

~ Auggie ~

Yes, the first time soak them ... that's fine. But they will dry out by evaporation, and later because the start is taking up fluids. As it dries do not soak them again, just keep them damp.
Wilting is caused by other things and should clear up in a day or two.

~ Auggie ~

Ok, taking cuttings in a day or two. I will have four cuttings. Should I run them with a humidity dome and heat Matt. No humidity dome with heat Matt, no heat Mat dome or nothing. Also, when I ran soil plugs in holders, I could have a bit of ware on the bottom for humidity. With rockwool on the tray, it would wick the water up. Light doesn't need to be close at all correct? That adds another heat element.

Ok, taking cuttings in a day or two. I will have four cuttings. Should I run them with a humidity dome and heat Matt. No humidity dome with heat Matt, no heat Mat dome or nothing. Also, when I ran soil plugs in holders, I could have a bit of ware on the bottom for humidity. With rockwool on the tray, it would wick the water up. Light doesn't need to be close at all correct? That adds another heat element.

The humidity dome and heat mat really depend on the environment. I live in an area that daytime temps, in the shade get up to 100F routinely, and 115F is not unusual. Do I need a heat mat? Hell no. The starts are going to be the happiest at about 75F to 80F. So, is your room in a garage in winter in Canada? Then, yes, use a heat mat. Summer time in Hell (where I live) you don't need it so much.

Personally I never use a dome - and if the humidity is way down I use one for the first day. That's all. 24 hours. I find that it really increases the chances of getting PM going.

You don't need a lot of light. A single light bulb, or a neon light is all you need.

~ Auggie ~

Back
Top Bottom