Cloning cubes

Auggie

For the last thousand years or so I have been using Rock Wool cubes for cloning. I figured out how to get and keep the moisture just right for maximum root sprouting. I would let them get almost, as in almost dry before briefly dunking them and kinda wetting the bottom half of the cube. This, and a warmer mat and I'd have roots in no time. If I got and kept them all wet - I would end up with root rot and have to toss the whole tray. But, I got the rock wool down ...

This year I have been experimenting with Oasis cubes (you know the crisp brown ones). They cost about half of the rock wool, and I don't have to Ph them before using. I get the impression that I don't have to worry about over watering with these guys, they are porous enough that I don't think that root rot is as big a problem as it could be with Rock Wool. BUT, I wonder if I am letting them get too dry before dunking them.

Those of you who use Oasis cubes, or better yet have used both ... what is your opinion?
How do you do it? How wet do you keep Oasis cubes?
Can they be too wet and cause rot?

In anticipation of your overwhelming and learned response, I
.....................................................,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :thanks:
~ Auggie ~

I have only used the rock wool types - but was wondering what other medium might work well. Can they root in a small soil pot? Why not?

Mine seem to take forever to sprout roots - about 3 weeks. I don't have a warming matt.

I don't consider three weeks to be unreasonable for a root. I have read and heard boasting about "I get roots in _____ days", (fill in the blank). It really depends on the genetic. I have a HELL of a time getting my Harlequin to sprout - and it takes longer. Most of my Harley sprouts happen in FOUR WEEKS. Yea.

If you're not having problems with root rot, you are prolly ok.

I remember my mom putting cuttings (not marijuana, lol, not mom) in a glass of water and putting them in the window sill of the kitchen. They'd sprout. I have done the same with MJ. They sprout. Just not very many, and not very well. But, good enough for mom and her azaleas, or whatever ...

The thing I like about the Oasis cubes is that: 1) they don't need to be Ph'd, and 2) they cheap. And I am a cheap guy. If I can buy a sheet of Oasis for $5 that does almost the same job as a sheet of Rock Wool for $11 - I'm there. And, I am slowly figuring them out. I think I can keep them wetter without worries.

I just wondered if anyone else out there has used both ... I bet there's someone out there ...

~ Auggie ~

Back
Top Bottom