Cloning for sex

Pirate

Somethin doesn't make sense to me and maybe some of you can help me out with it.

I've been reading up on "preflowers". Everywhere I read it says that preflowers usually appear around the forth or fifth week of Veg. This is consistent with my grow. Most plants are beginning to show preflowers. So far I have 4 Ladies out of 9 plants. The others are not showing yet.

Here's the big question:
If plants show sex at the 4th or 5th week...............why would one need to clone to determine sex?

I've also read the you should never force flower until the plant shows its preflowers because it would be sexually immature. So again...........why would you clone for sex?

Makes no sense to me. I thought all along that I would not know sex until I forced flower. What am I missing here?

Thanks,
Pirate :headbanger:

i dont think you're supposed to 'clone for sex'

people clone the plants that show their sex (females in particular) so that they can grow another plant from that clone that is a promised female...

you can take one or several cuttings and clone those, so instead of starting from seed, you can start from a clone of a female...

hope that helps

:peace:
endo

You clone for sex to make sure that it is a female, generally when you plan on keeping a plant as a mother. I don't think preflowers can show you what sex it is, they just show that it is sexually mature. I could be wrong though, wouldn't be the first time. I'm pretty sure though.

Most plants will pre-flower around 4-6 weeks in veg.. and that will show you the sex of the plant. However, under low-light or other stressful conditions pre-flowers might take even longer.... soo....

Many plants growing under flourecents will have branches long enough to clone before they show sex.. Funny thing is.. usually by the time the clones root and start to grow, the donor plant will have pre-flowered showing the sex anyway....

Soooooo ... if you top a plant early on in veg before pre-flowers show, and use the clipped off top as the new clone.. then you might find it useful to flower the clone to determine sex as the topped plant will need some time to recover before it will pre-flower.

Peace
MC

i tried sexing my new little babys on my current grow, the plants showed sex before the clones showed, i just lost another papaya today it was a male.

Most plants will pre-flower around 4-6 weeks in veg.. and that will show you the sex of the plant. However, under low-light or other stressful conditions pre-flowers might take even longer.... soo....

Many plants growing under flourecents will have branches long enough to clone before they show sex.. Funny thing is.. usually by the time the clones root and start to grow, the donor plant will have pre-flowered showing the sex anyway....

Soooooo ... if you top a plant early on in veg before pre-flowers show, and use the clipped off top as the new clone.. then you might find it useful to flower the clone to determine sex as the topped plant will need some time to recover before it will pre-flower.

Peace
MC

Thank-you!! So much explained,simply.

Earliest preflower sexing for my grows was 12 days after seed popped and longest was 28 days after pop. 90% of strains show before week 3 after germination and haven't found one yet that didn't show before day 28 veg. I'm not topping nor training until they show sex. Then lst if it's a taller strain. I've seen people posting about cloning to see sex and also never understood why. I wouldn't waste time with a clone (i only grow from seed), until I knew the sex of the plant.

Earliest preflower sexing for my grows was 12 days after seed popped and longest was 28 days after pop. 90% of strains show before week 3 after germination and haven't found one yet that didn't show before day 28 veg. I'm not topping nor training until they show sex. Then lst if it's a taller strain. I've seen people posting about cloning to see sex and also never understood why. I wouldn't waste time with a clone (i only grow from seed), until I knew the sex of the plant.
The only way you "might" be seeing sex at 12 days from germination is if your inducing 12/12. Not the best way to grow either unless you want to grow a massive amount of plants to make up for the yield decrease. I've got over 20 years of experience and I can say with the utmost assurance that plants don't show sex at 12 days. Most only have two or three sets of internodes at 12 days.

The only way you "might" be seeing sex at 12 days from germination is if your inducing 12/12. Not the best way to grow either unless you want to grow a massive amount of plants to make up for the yield decrease. I've got over 20 years of experience and I can say with the utmost assurance that plants don't show sex at 12 days. Most only have two or three sets of internodes at 12 days.

Don't let your 20 years experience make you closed minded. I don't in any way induce sex, just look for it. The 12 days was unusual, a very prolific plant. The norm is @18 days from seed pop. Just finished 6 strains, all sexed before 3 weeks, SSH, Medman,ATF,SwissBliss,Belladonna,Sheherezade. Have grow threads at 3 forums showing plants as growing and as sexed(my favorite part), for that grow. Have been spreading the word about how to sex early for years (been growing weed since 1972), and actually remember a racefan poopooing the notion at OG, years ago. Get an eyelupe and use an open mind to locate the preflowers and learn how to sex them as they emerge. I DO IT and I don't lie!!! Others do it too!!! Open your eyes, know where to look and what to look for. If you need some help let me know.

According to my experience and about everything I read, pre-flowers don't show during the first 7 weeks of growth from seed. Not being closed minded here, but I'm struggling with 18 days. You got any pics of an 18 day old plant with a pre-flower?

Farmer Rich

Why even bother cloning it? Just put it in a bubble cloner somewhere with 12/12 light. It won't even need to form roots. It'll start going into flower, show it's gender, and probably die in a day or two. Mission accomplished!

According to my experience and about everything I read, pre-flowers don't show during the first 7 weeks of growth from seed. Not being closed minded here, but I'm struggling with 18 days. You got any pics of an 18 day old plant with a pre-flower?

Farmer Rich

I'd say most experienced, in the know about preflowers, growers agree 7 weeks is way out and that as MC replied above generally 4-6 weeks is the perceived "norm". Norm in my grows is before 3 weeks from seed pop. Just started a grow of Ak, Nebula,Trainwreck(1fem) (sprouted nearly a week ago), and threw in one Great whiteshark fem and one Lemon skunk fem that sprouted 2 days ago. Will try to pic those for you here. I'm not saying you are closed minded and agree there is very little out there indicating one can sex by preflowers by week 3 (normally) and absolutely by week 4 from seed sprout.

I think it's strain dependent,
maybe even more visible in High to pure Indiacs than Pure Sativas.

I've noticed very early pre-flowering traits(nothing a Newbie would notice)
in the KY Chronic strains I've come across.
The strains I've seen it in were also too compact(Very short node spacing) to get cuttings for clones or Do not like to be topped.

Strains do show at different times apparently, but Indica or Sativa, from either end of the spectrum all show early preflowers and can be sexed by week 4 from seed pop. I say from seed pop so as not to confuse between sprout, seedling, veg or whatever. I'm counting day one as when the sprout appears with seed casing off. Last grow SSH(3 phenos including haze pheno), all showed sex @week3 from pop. Have grown way over 100 strains indoors and I luv Sativas and Sativa doms, and all presex early. If someone will name a strain that won't sex early, i'll give it a go and see.
I can't possibly be the only one on the boards sexing in veg at @week3. Somebody back me up. Anybody?

Back
Top Bottom