Cloning machine recommend

rocks911

I cant clone worth a darn. Ive tried several methods (warming mat/humidity dome/Clonex Gel/Powder/in water/in peat/etc. etc.) but the efoort fails miserably every time.

Im looking for a cloning machine recommendation. There are several on Amazon but I havent the foggiest notion which might be best for me. I dot need it to be big, I just need it to be as bullet-proof as possible to warrant the expense.

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Hi rocks911 my record isn't perfect but i find a dome, starter cups, plain old dirt and root powder to work just fine as long as I trim them and tend to them properly and it costs next to nothing...did you want to chat about where your technique might be off at all or are you sold on automation?

everyone makes cloning so hard

take some rockwool cubes
soak them and drain the excess water
take cutting, dip in hormone if you want, and stick into the cube
once done with all your clones, take a xtra large ziplock freezer bag and put them in and seal it up, once its sealed unseal the corner and blow air into it so the top of the bag clears the clones and there is lots of co2 for them.
reseal and put under a light on a warmish surface for 2 weeks.
after two weeks and not one day before, check them.
they should be yellow and even brown maybe, but depending on the strain they should have roots and if not leave them another week.

thats it, you are now a 100% success cloner

Hello Rocks. As Pbass has mentioned you could lay down the outline of how you were attempting the procedure and get some solid advice that works. Rooting clones is a 2 week process. If you are expecting roots before 10 days you need to lower your expectations.
It's understandable that you may have tried this without the right guidance and have become frustrated.
My journal in the top of my signature shows cloning if you care to take a peek.
Sorry I don't have input on cloners. Haven't tried one.

I clone in cups of water, no hormones or anything. I've cloned in dirt and have some aero cloners as well. If your clones are dying your environment is poor. They don't need a lot of light and they need to stay cool, they have no way to drink water to cool themselves unless you mist them.
A Dewey Mister is my go-to recommendation, they truly are amazing.

thats it, you are now a 100% success cloner
lol it's not difficult but I don't find it that easy! If it were, there wouldn't be machines! I've been playing with age of cuttings, how much leaf to leave and how much to trim off, trial and error has honed this a bit for me but I'm still not perfect. I find the most important thing is keeping them covered and the dome misted every time I mist the plants (3 times a day to start) till they harden up and leaves get darker. I also don't have them too close to any light source. I'm probably a 75% success rater.

I clone in cups of water, no hormones or anything

Mr. Bucket I've often tried to leave cuttings in water and hope to see roots growing...and end up with smelly water and crusty rotting cuttings. That's not quite what you are talking about is it?

lol it's not difficult but I don't find it that easy! If it were, there wouldn't be machines! I've been playing with age of cuttings, how much leaf to leave and how much to trim off, trial and error has honed this a bit for me but I'm still not perfect. I find the most important thing is keeping them covered and the dome misted every time I mist the plants (3 times a day to start) till they harden up and leaves get darker. I also don't have them too close to any light source. I'm probably a 75% success rater.
then stop doing all of that stuff... dont mist, dont clip, just leave them alone until they have decent roots poking out of the cubes.
let them go and stress out, they will be fine.

you are loving them to death.

and the machines are buckets with airstones and nylon pucks
you could just put them in a glass of water its would be the same

Mr. Bucket I've often tried to leave cuttings in water and hope to see roots growing...and end up with smelly water and crusty rotting cuttings. That's not quite what you are talking about is it?
you have to change the water often to keep it fresh and oxygenated,
protip:
often is once every 3-5 days
not 6 times a day

then stop doing all of that stuff

@10gal In soil and root powder, if I don't mist them (2-3 times a day, tapering off as they "harden") they seem to die on me. Also if I leave too much leaf on they seem to take way longer to root and more likely to leaf rot (which doesnt necessarily mean they arent going to root, but tends to slow them down). I also find older growth harder to clone than new growth.

Are you saying with rockwool you don't have to keep the leaves wet? What about the rockwool, are you keeping that wet? Are you covering these clones?

@TurboBucket I've always got material...gonna make a clone jar right now!

Woohoo learning! Thanks guys :yahoo:

Haha not quite. But that does happen. Water quality is important, and you need to change the water once in a while. It stagnates after a time and can collect any contaminants floating in the air. I usually change mine once a week but if your source water or air is dirtier it may require more frequent changes.

Using softwood cuttings will make the biggest difference. Softwood cuttings are newer younger growth, these shoots have more hormones in them to allow roots more quickly than a semi-hard or hardwood cutting would. Hard cuttings are just that the older harder growth of the plant, once they start getting firm like sticks instead of squishy like flower stems they take longer to root. The plant cells have changed, the hormone content is different they don't want to grow roots there.

This is my clone home.

Two 3 gal Dewey misters for keeping the tents full and cups for preserving cuts until after smoke tests for new mom's. Be careful with paper cups they only last a couple weeks and can start to mold which can kill your clones. I typically use plastic but these were extra.
The leaf temp on the clones is typically between 65-70°f

@10gal In soil and root powder, if I don't mist them (2-3 times a day, tapering off as they "harden") they seem to die on me. Also if I leave too much leaf on they seem to take way longer to root and more likely to leaf rot (which doesnt necessarily mean they arent going to root, but tends to slow them down). I also find older growth harder to clone than new growth.

Are you saying with rockwool you don't have to keep the leaves wet? What about the rockwool, are you keeping that wet? Are you covering these clones?

@TurboBucket I've always got material...gonna make a clone jar right now!

Woohoo learning! Thanks guys :yahoo:
the giant zip lock bag, and the warm light, keep the clones in high humidity
the reason you cut the leaf, is the same reason you dont spray.
it forces the plant to run low on resources faster and thoes need to root faster to survive

rockwool is just the best cloning media there is.
it keeps the stem the right level of humidity, and as long as its in a bag you wont need to water it until they have roots

Back
Top Bottom