Cloning preferences - light cycle, misting, transplanting

Amsterdam28

Hey 420,

I am in the process of my first attempt at cloning and was wondering what some of you are doing in this area. I recently took 4 clippings from my Blue Mystic female that is in it's 2nd week of 12/12. The first two clippings I just cut the branch with scissors on a 45 degree angle, dipped in hormone gel, and then into rock wool. The latest 2 clippings I cut the branch with scissors but then went back and recut with a razor blade as well as did some scraping before the hormone gel and rock wool. Just want to see the difference if any.

Anyways, here are my questions for you:

1. Do you tend to put your clones in a 24/0 light cycle right away, 18/6, or what? I have been reading about people who go straight to 12/12 but I definitely want to veg for a few weeks first.
  2. How often do you mist your clones (assuming you are manually misting)? I find myself wanting to check on them multiple times a day, which I'm sure is just an overreaction to this being my first attempt, but I also notice that the leaves tend to appear dry well before the inside of the dome is dry. The rock wool has stayed pretty damp since the first initial soaking, but of course gets a little more with each misting.
  3. After a few weeks when the plants have hopefully established some roots, do you remove them from the rock wool before transplanting into soil (assuming you are using soil in the first place)? I would assume so, but also fear of damaging the roots if removing them if they have spread a lot.

Thanks guys for your input. Here's a couple pics to give you an idea of my grow space:

#1 - 2 plants in small white pots are seeds that were just germinated. 4 clones currently in dome under a T5 light.
DSC_01268.jpg

#2 - a peak under the dome at the 4 clones. The 2 in the foreground were just clipped in the last 30 mins. The ones in the background which you can't see too well are from 2 days ago.
DSC_01278.jpg

I have tried several different methods, but the one that works best for me is using the same soil I plant in. Fill a 16 or 32 oz cup, clear or colored, or styrafoam if thats all thats available. Put in a box covered with saranwrap, or use a clear 16 or 32 oz cup upside down to make a dome. good for one or two clones, Other wise I use the covered cardboard box. I also mist daily or at least every other day.

WW3g_org_clone_roots_14_days.jpg
WW3g_clones.jpg

WW3g_org_clone_14_days_in_box.jpg

I have also used jiffy pelts and rockwool cubes, but direct in soil works best for me, and no transplant shock, and you can see the roots develop in the clear or clear/colored plastic cups.

and here is another nice cheap dome for a few small ones, a rotisserie chicken container
WW_clones_4th_gen_2.jpg

WW_clones_4th_gen_1.jpg

Hey Hash Hound,

Thanks for the pics. I love the rotisserie chicken container idea, very green of you! I will give straight to soil a try on my next batch to see how those work out because I agree, that would definitely save the transplant shock.

When you are cloning to you typically go 24/0 or 18/6?

Ad28

I clone and start seeds at 16/8. Good results and save a little juice. My Papaya grow linked below was all fem seeds started 12/12 from seed. and was probably among my most yielding grows. a lot of different size plants that way, but the overall yield all evens out.

I have taken clones started 16/8 to the flower room and then start to reduce in veg time 1/2 hour a week, in 4 weeks most of the strains will show hairs between 14 and 13 hrs light. Soon as I see the hairs I go 12/12, and even then after 2 weeks I start reducing 15 min a week til harvest. usually giving me around 10 hrs light at the harvest. Been good so far.

I think the max out door any plants gets outside depending on the latitude is maybe 15-16 hrs on Jun 21st.

I stuck a few extra clones outdoor in very early April that were about 6 wks old and they were flowering within 2 weeks because they were only getting about 14 hours at that time of year. They were well into budding in early June when a tree fell during the storm and wiped them out.

The biggest lesson I learned is that a cutting gets all its moisture through the leaves. Therefore, the dome is essential. Warm (78*) but not hot (>85*). Rooting is fastest when light is not present there (stem below grade). Moist the stem not wet, big difference. Too much water will surly rot the stem and you'll get zip of any roots.
I mist 2X AM & PM and only get the Rapid Rooters moist when they are almost dry. Once the cut roots, no on taking it out of whatever medium you've used, roots are really fragile and one can break them just by looking at them to hard!

Once the cut roots, no on taking it out of whatever medium you've used, roots are really fragile and one can break them just by looking at them to hard!

haha, well said. In that case I will leave them in the rock wool and just plant the whole thing. Thanks sfttailpaul

HH, I cannot believe those plants were 12/12 from seed. They were huge!!

If I remember correct the Papaya and Super Skunk were close to 5 and 4 oz each. Lost some of the Papayas huge cola to bud rot it was so thick. Will top if I grow that strain again.

Back
Top Bottom