Cloning with fog - Fool-proof way to clone with a 100% success rate

Hey Roach. I looked at the fog unit supplier you linked to. Since it's American I wandered off in search of a Canadian supplier - less border hassles and wait time, etc.
I find a lot of cheap foggers out there. That's ok- they aren't expensive and I could buy a backup or two. However, I noticed that some of them came with a warning not to run the thing for more than 10 hours at a time.
Has your fogger been reliable?

After you have successfully grown the roots in the cloner, how are you all taking it to the next step? What method have you guys found works best for transplanting them from the cloner?

Thanks!

Hey Roach. I looked at the fog unit supplier you linked to. Since it's American I wandered off in search of a Canadian supplier - less border hassles and wait time, etc.
I find a lot of cheap foggers out there. That's ok- they aren't expensive and I could buy a backup or two. However, I noticed that some of them came with a warning not to run the thing for more than 10 hours at a time.
Has your fogger been reliable?

Hello, sorry for taking this long to answer. I moved again and I will not have internet until late august.
I keep my fogger unit on for weeks and months at a time. make sure the unit you buy has the option to replace the ceramic disks.

I just purchased a mister and a timer .. The water is pretty warm at 89 degrees. Anyone out there using a timer ?

A digital cycle timer that does as low as minute intervals is an option to control the temps in your cloner, however it will need to be set up with some trial and error.

I suggest starting with an off period that is based on how long it takes the fog to dissipate in your cloner (use plastic wrap as a temporary cover to determine this time).

The on time should be set based on how long it takes to reach the temperature you want inside the cloner (allow a few cycles to run to assure there is no temperature creep, 73°F is a great temp for optimal cloning success, the range is between 72°F and 74°F).

All of this works so long as the cloner is in a stable temperature environment, the more the environment changes the more unstable this type of timed control becomes.

If you notice low temps at night/lights off, install an aquarium heater and set the temp to the lowest temp you deam appropriate (I like 72°F), it will prevent a low temp situation.

If you notice an over temp trend/situation that isn't correctable with cycle time adjustments you can add a thermostat cut-off between the cycle timer and the power outlet, basically set the thermostat to turn off when the temps in the cloner reaches a maximum predetermined temperature (I suggest 74°F), you would need a thermostat with a temperature probe to do this of course. While this seems complicated it is actually simple, the thermostat just supplies power to the aquarium heater and fogger's cycle timer, if the temperature gets higher than your set point it cuts power and you have removed both of those items as heat inputs. When the temps fall below your set point power to the cycle timer and heater are restored, most any modern cycle timers and aquarium heaters will have setting memories so will return to full normal functioning. This will do nothing if your cloner is sitting in a ball of fire or in line with the suns rays through a window LOL.

The temps I provided work for me and the equipment I use, you may be able to fudge these a little or a lot depending on your situation and available equipment.

The thermostat I use is a Ranco ETC-111000-000 and requires a bit of wiring to a common power strip to be done, which is easy and plenty of videos are available on the web (this is a reptile world staple for maintaining very precise temps so that should help you find up to date instructions). I use the same type of thermostat on my exhaust fan to keep my veg room temps in check.

After much research, I found a tutorial here at 420 Magazine made by JohnnyBTreed, explaining how to build a cloning device using a rubbermaid container and a ultrasonic fogger. I was impressed by the results and after much consideration, decided to build one myself. You can find the thread here: Making the SH cloner
After making an upgrade to the original design, it turned out to be exactly wath I was looking for; a fool-proof way to clone. Just add water, plug and forget for the next 1-2 weeks.
I soon found that with this cloning method you dont need to mist the clones.
No more cutting leaves, not even scrapping the stem or adding rooting hormones.
Even better, 100% of clones would survive.
The clones will continue to be perky and healthy from day one till day 8-15 (depending on strain), when they are ready for transplant.
Because you didnt wash away the cuticle layer of the clone with constant spraying, these clones will be hardier and will adapt to the higher temperatures in the flowering much faster, reducing the chances of shock. Normally, you take a cutting and spray it to keep it humid; this washes away a thin layer of wax that covers the surface of the leaves and protects them from dehydration.
I am very happy with this cloning method and wanted to share it with you guys, as the original thread is very old and very few people have seen this method in action. Thank you to Mr JohnnyBTreed for posting the original thread.

WP_20150406_0011.jpg
clonerinside.jpg
improvedfloater.jpg
clon6day.jpg
WP_20150606_010.jpg
WP_20150608_0011.jpg
WP_20150610_001.jpg
WP_20150611_006.jpg
WP_20150611_008.jpg
WP_20150619_001.jpg

Tiis is the one upgrade I made to the original design. The fogging unit needs to be kept at a constant depth or it will stop making fog, so I came up with this floater made with a 3" netpot and a some pieces of a floating material in this case, swiming pool floaters for kids, only $2 at a local store. You just need a piece of it and you can also make the inserts with it.
improvedfloater.jpg
WP_20150406_0061.jpg
WP_20150406_008.jpg

You can buy most of it at a hardware store. You need a plastic tote ( I use a 10 Gal) neoprene inserts and the fogging unit

I hope it comes handy and if you have any questions let me now.
Did you have any problems with heat?

Back
Top Bottom