Closet Farmers 1st Soil Grow - White Ruski

This is my first indoor soil grow. I am going to be using Blue Planet Nutrients Organic. I am going to use soft sided air pots when I repot the plants.

What strain is it? White Ruski
Is it in Veg or Flower stage? Veg
If in Veg... For how long? 1week
Indoor or outdoor? Indoor
Soil or Hydro? Soil
If soil... what is in your mix? Fox Farms
If soil... What size pot? 5 Gallon Air Pots
Size of light? 400 HID for veg 600 and 1000 HPS for flower
Is it aircooled? yes
Temp of Room/cab? 78
RH of Room/cab? 50

Type and strength of ferts used? BLUE PLANET NUTRIENTS!

I know these nutes are stong. I can smell them through the shipping box! I am excited about using them.

I heard that --- recomends premixing the nutes in a 5 gallon bucket with air stones. I was thinking about using my small water cooler to keep the nutes cool. Does this sound like a good idea or a waste of energy?

Here are the pics of grow area.
3_sprouts_and_one_on_the_way.JPG

grow_area.JPG

My portable AC that I will be using and my water chiller I am considering on using for my bucket of premix nutes!

ac_and_water_cooler_if_needed.JPG

Right now the plants are vegging under 400W HID 18/6 18 light and 6 dark. I will switch to 600W HPS when I flip to 12/12. Then go to a 1000W HPS when the canopy gets thick for more penetration. The Power of Light!!!! :headbanger:

You should be fine using the premix that has room temp. The cooler is best for hydro application. However, it may offer some advantage for soil too. If you want to experiment have two buckets one with the cooler and one without. Feed half the plants available in your garden and take note on the results.

You should be fine using the premix that has room temp. The cooler is best for hydro application. However, it may offer some advantage for soil too. If you want to experiment have two buckets one with the cooler and one without. Feed half the plants available in your garden and take note on the results.

Hey Twelve12!! Thanks for the information. I really do not have room in this closet to have two different solutions to do a comparison...Very tight quarters. If there was an advantage I would use it if not... I will keep it for a future hydro grow.

I am really glad you are going to follow my first soil grow! You came so close to being the member of the Month last month!!! Looks like a lot of people on this site respect you a lot!! :tommy:

For best results, you need to mix the nutes, add a little molasses or fruit juice to feed the microbes and aerate for at least 24 hours. This will jump start the biological activity and make the nutrients more plant available.

This is VERY good advice! Make sure to listen to this.....

Also, Twelve12 gave good advice too. Usually cooler water for hydro. I have found that watering with slightly temped water, about mid 70's, is great for soil. The soil absorbs the water easier if it is slightly warmer. As long as you keep an airstone in your res you can keep the nutes good for about two weeks or so.

For best results, you need to mix the nutes, add a little molasses or fruit juice to feed the microbes and aerate for at least 24 hours. This will jump start the biological activity and make the nutrients more plant available.

I was not going to give the plants any nutes for the 1st two weeks. I am still waiting for one seedling to break soil.

I initially tried to start with 5 plants. I did a very poor job of planting the seedlings and only 3 made it. I planted another seedling correctly this time. I wanted to wait till it breaks ground.

Would it be an advantage to keep the nutes below room temperature? I could use my chiller and keep the nute bucket chilled at any temp. :thumb:

This is VERY good advice! Make sure to listen to this.....

Also, Twelve12 gave good advice too. Usually cooler water for hydro. I have found that watering with slightly temped water, about mid 70's, is great for soil. The soil absorbs the water easier if it is slightly warmer. As long as you keep an airstone in your res you can keep the nutes good for about two weeks or so.

That is what I was talking about. I can keep the nutes aireated at room temperature. My grow room will stay around the 80 degree range when the lights are on.
However, with the chiller....I can keep the nutes aireated in the mid 70 degrees or any other desired temperature. Would this be beneficial? If I already have the equiptment and if there would be even a slight advantage I would use it. If not, I will store for a later grow.:morenutes:

Hey Twelve12!! Thanks for the information. I really do not have room in this closet to have two different solutions to do a comparison...Very tight quarters. If there was an advantage I would use it if not... I will keep it for a future hydro grow.

I am really glad you are going to follow my first soil grow! You came so close to being the member of the Month last month!!! Looks like a lot of people on this site respect you a lot!! :tommy:

Wasn't aware that space is limited. Thought you're growing in a factory. ;} No problem with the comparison test. There is a slight advantage for using cooler water; it holds more oxygen. Since you have the premix airstoned should be just as good. This is another reason why hydro application with chiller can get plants to explode in growth.

"The solubility of oxygen in water is temperature-dependent, and about twice as much (14.6 mg·L−1) dissolves at 0 °C than at 20 °C. To illustrate, recall bubbles forming in a pot of water right before it begins to boil; these bubbles are oxygen that was dissolved at room temperature, but is being ejected as the temperature rises. Oxygen can slip into the crevasses or “holes” that exist in the loose hydrogen-bonded network of water molecules without forcing them apart. A very physical perspective on solubility of oxygen in water is that when the water is colder, the water molecules move less, and the oxygen remains trapped in the aqueous solution." -wiki.answers

No biggie without the chiller. Keep it simple is always good. Thanks for the kind words.

If your room temp is only around 80 and you have your res covered and on the floor you should not even need the chiller. Remember that the chiller will kick out some heat too adding to the overall room temp. Anything below 80 for water temp is fine in soil from my experience. Above 80 is a little warmer than I like.

12/12 hit the nail on the head about dissolved oxygen. Water temp is imperative in an aqua culture situation. The aerated nutes will be ok at room temp because higher temps promote more biological activity. Also the biological action while aerating will naturally raise the ph to the upper 6's ....close to 7 so if you need to ph the nutes, do so right before you feed. Also the process of aerating the nutes will cause the carbonic acid from co2 infused into the water to be released, thus raising the ph.

Great information. I will be storing my water cooler for a later grow. Thanks!!! :thumb:

Also definitely wait until the seedlings develop their first set of true leaves before thinking about adding any fert

When you say true leaves. You mean the first set of 3 to five finger leaves right?
:thumb:

The first true leaves are the first leaves that develop after the cotyledons (seed leaves). Still a little early to fert if your soil has nutes in it. just have to pay attention to your plant and make a judgement call . I usually wait for 2 weeks before adding nutes in a soil grow.

The first true leaves are the first leaves that develop after the cotyledons (seed leaves). Still a little early to fert if your soil has nutes in it. just have to pay attention to your plant and make a judgement call . I usually wait for 2 weeks before adding nutes in a soil grow.

Waiting 2 weeks before nuting was my original plan. On your feeding schedule you have a nute mix for 1 to 2 week old plants. When I start nuting in 2 weeks is that mix I should use?

Back
Top Bottom