CMH in medium Adjusta-Wing-Avenger vs HPS vs Mars 2000 Quantum LED

Fartoblue

420 Member
I currently flower under 4 x 600 HPS in Adjusta - Wing hoods supplemented with a single 315 CMH in the middle. During the summer my temps were sky high as was my electricity bill, so thinking of a change.
My grow area is 6ft x 9ft with 1 ft extra space on all sides so my current light set up is probably a bit overkill.
I live in Northern UK and whilst summers are warmish winter is cold so I do need a heater

Option 1: Stick with what I have and don't grow during the summer 2715 watts used

Option 2: run 6 x 315 CMH (Migro have 4K colour spectrum + Far Red boost on special offer for £53.00). My grow area is ideal size for this and I have spare Adjusta wing hoods so I would need 6 x adapters @ £8.00 each, 6 x bulbs and ballasts @ £80 - £110 each. 1890 watts used

Option 3: 6 x Mars TSW 2000 LED @ £202 each. and similar draw from the wall as the CDM. Only problem is I don't know if they would produce enough heat in the winter so the heaters may come on. 1800w used.

Any advice appreciated, I am edging towards the CMH at the moment.

Option 4: Pitch those open reflectors over the nearest hill and replace them with a set of air-cooled ones, pick ones for which those insulated covers are available (and get the covers), put your lights on a separate ventilation run from your grow space's "main" ventilation/filter run, draw air for it from somewhere else and then dump it somewhere else so that you don't end up "recycling" the air that's supposed to be cooling things and, therefore, keep throwing the heat back into the space, and even switching to insulated duct material inside the actual grow space.

Option 4: Pitch those open reflectors over the nearest hill and replace them with a set of air-cooled ones, pick ones for which those insulated covers are available (and get the covers), put your lights on a separate ventilation run from your grow space's "main" ventilation/filter run, draw air for it from somewhere else and then dump it somewhere else so that you don't end up "recycling" the air that's supposed to be cooling things and, therefore, keep throwing the heat back into the space, and even switching to insulated duct material inside the actual grow space.

Thanks Tortured I have my heart set in getting rid of the HPS to tell the truth to try and save some leccy and increase spectrum.

What do you think of this combo.

I could maybe save 315 watts if I skimped a bit. Would this work (See Below). The CMH cover 3ft x 3ft but the Mars only cover 2ft x 2ft so it would leave me 8 sq ft short but maybe this would be taken care of by overlap. Mars also do one that covers 4ft x 2ft but it is a single unit and I presume I may be better off with 2 units for the same price and power consumption. The 2 units use 150 watts each from the wall and the larger unit 300 watts so it is six and two three's. This configuration would save me 315 watts against 6 x CMH and probably some heat as well.

grow area.jpg

That would give you... what... about 28 watts per square foot of light?

Is this just a vegetative-growth room, or will you be flowering in there, too?

I would go with the 6 315 watt CMH fixtures. They will produce like 6 600 watt HPS but with a fraction of the heat and power consumption. Bulbs last 2 years... bla bla bla.. yes I am a CMH fan boy. LOL
Many great options... Good luck.

Thanks Green Lizard, I think that may be the plan.
I will be running them in Adjusta-Wing-Avenger hoods with adapters, can you foresee any problems with that? Probably have them on the narrowest setting as most of the CMH hoods look as if they condense the light rather than spread it.

Thanks Far To Blue

While I am not familiar with the hoods you are speaking about I can't foresee any issues. @Lowrider72 uses a similar setup as I do but he has reflectors that spread out more so perhaps he will have better insight for you on that.

Back
Top Bottom