Cmitch55's First Ever Grow Dream Queen and Afgoo

Cmitch55

Alright everyone after lurking and reading like mad for the past 2 weeks I've decided I would start a Grow journal...my hope is that I can learn threw this with help from all you Green-thumb people out there, and hopefully grow some nice meds in the process.

What strain is it?: Dream Queen/Cush and Afgoo/Afgooey
Is it in Veg or Flower stage?: Veg
If in Veg... coming up on about 6 weeks now
Indoor or outdoor?: all outdoor
Soil or Hydro?: soil
Size of light?: sunlight
Any Pests?: none that I have found
How often are you watering?: Check the soil when it starts to feel dry I water it

Now its time for the background of this grow:
A while back a friend and I decided that we wanted to try and grow some plants...We didnt know much about the process but we did know one thing and that was the fact that we were tired of paying outrageous prices for the meds we enjoyed smoking. So after much thought and a bit of research we decided it was time to start trying to grow...We have 2 seeds we really were interested in that came from bags we bought that we were lucky enough to retrieve seeds out of, and then we had a handful of middies seeds that we figured we'd take a chance at growing...We germinated using the paper towel method making sure to keep the Afgoo and Dream Queen separate to know what seed was what. After 2 days all the seeds but one had sprouted the tap root and it was time to find spots to plant out little babies...Inside growing was out of the picture entirely so we found a few different spots to plant and continued from there...My friend decided he wanted to try and grow the Dream Queen at his grandparents house because it had a huge garden that was watered by sprinklers and had a great spot for the plant to get a lot of sun. I decided I would grow the Afgoo in the woods near my house so I could keep an eye on it...After about 2 weeks all the plants besides the afgoo were dying so I decided to just focus on the one plant and say the hell with all the other ones. I made many mistakes to begin with such as over and under watering which resulted in a slow start for the Afgoo that I am hoping will not affect my end result to badly...About 6 days ago while visiting my little Afgoo plant I made the decision to transplant it into a pot and move it from its previous home because I am pretty well convinced that the spot it was in was just not getting enough sun....When I did that I grabbed some soil that my mom uses in her garden and put it into a pot and successfully transplanted my Afgoo plant...A day or 2 later i started to see some yellowing and browning appear on the leaves that I believe to be nutrient burn...I watered the soil a good amount and am now currently watching to see if the problem begins to go away...I believe that the big issue was that I took a plant that had never been exposed to anything but natural earth and watering and moved it into soil that has added nutrients and the little girl was just shocked by it...New growth is coming in green so I am hopefully that the plant is adjusting to the new soil...Now I have been ranting and raving about my little Afgoo and all this time the Dream Queen has been neglected...Well the funny thing is that the plant had not been visited or taken care of at all by anyone other then mother nature and the sprinkler system that my friends grandparents have installed...Today my friend decided he wanted to go get it and move it back close to home so we went up there and grabbed it and I have to say mother nature has me beat when it comes to making things grow

Picture of my Afgoo plant taken about 2 day ago 7-9-11 more soil has been added since so that the whole plant gets sun and not just the top leaves
Photo07101308.jpg

Picture of the Dream Queen plant taken tonight 7-11-11
IMG_12696.jpg

Now I have been trying to read up on where I should go from here and am still a bit wary on adding nutrients for fear that I will ruin the plants, but on the same token I believe that if I deprive them of nutes for to much longer then it will affect them in the long run

My major concerns right now
1. Afgoo hasn't fully recovered from the nute burn and the plant is small in comparisons to others at its same age (i also know that my plants naturally will be smaller because they have been 100 percent grown outside but still I feel the plant is small)
2. Both plants have thin stems that I believe will affect the yield drastically if they do not grow bigger to support the colas.

I hope my first journal page isn't to long but I figured the more info I gave the better help I could get...Any help at all is appreciated as I said this is my very first grow so I have a lot to learn
Thanks for reading my Journal
~Cmitch55

Hey Cmitch,
You could try checking the PH of the soil for the plant that is yellowing. I'm sure the dirt you got from the garden is fine. So maybe it has nute lock.
Have the plants been in the same pots? I ask because the plants are kind of low in the pots. Maybe that can cause it to stretch.
Remember its a weed, let mother nature do the work.

Hey Cmitch,
You could try checking the PH of the soil for the plant that is yellowing. I'm sure the dirt you got from the garden is fine. So maybe it has nute lock.
Have the plants been in the same pots? I ask because the plants are kind of low in the pots. Maybe that can cause it to stretch.
Remember its a weed, let mother nature do the work.

Hey there Small thanks for reading my journal...The PH may be throwing it off but i've been using the same water the whole time on the plant that is begining to yellow so I don't know why all of a sudden the PH would go off...The plants have just recently been moved into the pots they are in...im assuming they are stretching so much because the sun is their light source and its so far away...Will have some more pictures soon. ;)

Update: well I went for a hike to visit the plants today and give them water and they are both improving...The Dream Queen is losing its lower sets of leaves but all of the new growth looks to be green and the plant is starting to stand back up...The afgoo is growing great getting bushier every day and starting to really get skunky smelling...Unfortunately I keep forgetting to bring a camera with me so no new pictures...will have some new ones soon!

Photo update July 19th 2011
Afgoo doing great getting bigger everyday
Photo07191833_1.jpg

Photo07191833.jpg

Dream Queen recovering from what I believe was a pulled root problem lower leaves all fell of and yellowed besides 1 but the tops seam to be growing back green so im not sure if its getting better or not yet
Photo07191833_2.jpg

Photo07191833_3.jpg

Other then the root issue I am exsperiencing what I believe are caterpillars eating little holes in some of the leafs what can I do about this? any help appreciated

Whats up Mitch welcome to 420 bud, You probably should have topped them to force some sort of bushiness earlier on.. they have minimal/no branching at 6 weeks so those ladies will definitly need some supplemental feed:morenutes: if your exepecting loads of bud growing outdoors(like most ASSUME). Judging from its thin stem they may not be getting enough wind so get the gals some breeze if ya can..and is that miracle grow organic mix?? MJ plants hate the stuff...Please Don't use it...ever..lol

These strains especially the DG is sativa dominant so its natural to stretch..if your plant cant hold its own leaves at this stage of life, check your run off ph's, should be bout 6.5-6.8 for soil I think.. I've never grown in the great outdoors tho..:goodluck:

Whats up Mitch welcome to 420 bud, You probably should have topped them to force some sort of bushiness earlier on.. they have minimal/no branching at 6 weeks so those ladies will definitly need some supplemental feed:morenutes: if your exepecting loads of bud growing outdoors(like most ASSUME). Judging from its thin stem they may not be getting enough wind so get the gals some breeze if ya can..and is that miracle grow organic mix?? MJ plants hate the stuff...Please Don't use it...ever..lol

These strains especially the DG is sativa dominant so its natural to stretch..if your plant cant hold its own leaves at this stage of life, check your run off ph's, should be bout 6.5-6.8 for soil I think.. I've never grown in the great outdoors tho..:goodluck:

hey Bubblez thanks for stopping by my journal...this is my first ever grow so im still learning alot and didn't want to try topping right away but is it to late now? I don't know exacly what kind of soil it is just something my parents use in a garden... I have yet to add any nutrients to these plants really because I'm worried i'll do more damage then good...I believe the Dream Queen is struggling so much because a friend moved it from its old home and I'm pretty sure he missed so of the root because before moving it was holding its leaves fine but now all the younger leafs fell off after moving it...Thanks for all the help
~Cmitch

That soil in the pot looks very wet. How often do you water? It may not be getting enough air down to the roots and you may get pythium. When you repot them, consider adding some perlite (hard to tell, but it looks like it has a bunch of vermiculite in it) to the mix to give them a little breathing room and to let the soil drain some. Also at the same time put some OC+ (osmocote plus) into the pots. It's a time release fertilizer that will do the trick for you, and almost zero chance of burn.

When you do water them, they should be almost completely dry. Check the weight of the pot and not how wet the soil feels. If you are just sticking your finger into the top inch of soil, that is not a good indicator of when to water.

Also, you need to get those stems to thicken up a bit. I noticed that you have them supported with bamboo sticks. That is not doing them much good in the muscle building department. They need to move a little with the breeze to develop some thicker stalks.

And you've already heard it a dozen times. pH! Buy a meter or get some test strips to check your runoff. And test your water that you are using as well to see if you need to adjust that.

Update 7-30-11
After some struggle and leaf loss Dream Queen is now on its way to a healthy recovery...New growth is green and the top is really beginning to have a skunky smell to it
Photo07301710_3.jpg

Photo07301710_2.jpg

The Afgoo is continuing to grow well and today for the very first time I attempted a topping so fingers are crossed on that
Photo073017101.jpg
Photo07301710_1.jpg

All and all pretty happy with the girls so far will continue with updates as the grow continues

Today I did a lot of work with setting up my grow spot better...The Afgoo has been transplanted into a much bigger pot where it will live the rest of its life out...Roots were fully to the bottom and plant was itching for some growing room...some seedlings have been moved from peat pellets to solo cups...Will be building a grow room soon for those guys as full outside will not finish in time for me before the winter months.

Update 8-2-2011
The topping that I did to the afgoo was a great success I now have 2 tops coming in right where I cut it so my first every topping has been completed with a bang (sorry if this sounds off im a little medicated right now:bong:)

The Dream Queen has 3 tops coming in on the very top of the plant without any sort of topping being done which i find rather awesome.

Picture updates in a few days... that's all for now
~Cmitch55

Update so both plants are growing great still but the Dream Queen has given a great surprise and started budding! I'm not sure how it happened because my afgoo plant still isn't flowering and she is much bigger then the little Dream Queen...Anyways this update really belongs to say 8-6-11 because that is when the picture was taken and It's the only one I got before my phone died...Will update with more soon!

Afgoo 8-6-2011
Photo080615501.jpg

Afgoo 8-6-2011
Photo080615501.jpg

OH MAN ITS LIKE A FLASH BACK!!! wow!!! well Cmitch!!! first off let me say, :goodjob: on where you have gotten so far!! My Afgoo just started flowering!!! I just went outside today and did a full on look around because of using my Azamax last night, I wanted to see how it did, and I noticed that I am getting flowers all over them!!! so If your over here in the west coast near SoCal, its flower time!!! we have now dropped below 14 hours of sunlight!!! and also, i think its just mine because of it being LSTed and needing more water, I have to water A1 everyday if not 2 times in a day!!! she just soaks up the water and laughs at it!!! but yea, just a heads up, cus A2 doesn't need it but maybe 1 time if even, and now lastly, from the beginning of the story, you said walking out the ladies, does that mean this is gorilla grow op??? if so!!! that cell phone taking pix is a no no!! cell phones, mostly new ones like blackberry and droids, all have a photo option called Geolocation!! it will pin point the location of the pix, so please, excersize caution!!! well im here now and i have my :popcorn: and my chair!! im ready for the show!!!

:peacetwo:

OH MAN ITS LIKE A FLASH BACK!!! wow!!! well Cmitch!!! first off let me say, :goodjob: on where you have gotten so far!! My Afgoo just started flowering!!! I just went outside today and did a full on look around because of using my Azamax last night, I wanted to see how it did, and I noticed that I am getting flowers all over them!!! so If your over here in the west coast near SoCal, its flower time!!! we have now dropped below 14 hours of sunlight!!! and also, i think its just mine because of it being LSTed and needing more water, I have to water A1 everyday if not 2 times in a day!!! she just soaks up the water and laughs at it!!! but yea, just a heads up, cus A2 doesn't need it but maybe 1 time if even, and now lastly, from the beginning of the story, you said walking out the ladies, does that mean this is gorilla grow op??? if so!!! that cell phone taking pix is a no no!! cell phones, mostly new ones like blackberry and droids, all have a photo option called Geolocation!! it will pin point the location of the pix, so please, excersize caution!!! well im here now and i have my :popcorn: and my chair!! im ready for the show!!!

:peacetwo:

Hey Astonr thanks for stopping in and taking a look at my grow...My plants are not nearly as big as yours so watering times aren't as bad but I find myself watering more and more often lately as the plants continue to grow bigger...I do have to walk a good distance to get to my ladies because the risk of growing at home is far to high for my own liking... i've still got a little more time outdoors before the girls flip to 12/12 lighting however for some reason my Dream Queen plant has show signs of flowering, weather it is premature or not I still haven't a clue so I'll keep watching. Stay comfy in that seat of yours and hopefully I can produce some quality meds for you to look at this is my first time ever growing so i'm still learning alot. Thanks for taking the time to visit! :adore: :Namaste: :circle-of-love:
~Cmitch55

Update 8-8-2011
So I believe my Dream Queen plant is either male or hermied because it has balls forming with some pistils...I have some pictures and hopefully the pros can help me
Photo08081726_1.jpg

Photo08081726.jpg

The Afgoo has yet to flower but still getting bigger every day thinking of doing another couple toppings on her but not sure yet
Photo08081729.jpg

Photo08081727.jpg

That's all for now
~Cmitch55

Back
Top Bottom