CO: Homeless Say Marijuana Drew Many People To Pueblo

Katelyn Baker

While a sampling of community members indicated a belief that the advent of legal marijuana has not increased vagrancy and panhandling, those on the street or in homeless shelters paint a slightly different picture.

A year ago, John, who gave no last name, was on his way to Arkansas when he decided to stop in Pueblo to take advantage of marijuana of the medical variety.

It was alcohol, ironically, that the 55-year-old blames for his downfall.

"I got arrested for a DUI," John said. "And then they took my car, my dog, my property. So here I am, homeless on the street."

John said he neither possesses a medical marijuana card nor uses cannabis. He does, however, know at least "30 or 40 people on the street" who were drawn to Pueblo by the allure of legal marijuana.

"I do see a lot of people coming in from out of state for the marijuana," he explained. "They're just using, not trying to work in the industry or become growers - panhandling just to get the pot because they're addicted . . . they have to have it."

Many of the homeless, John said, have been here for years, dating back to the time medical marijuana was approved by voters.

Martin, also no last name given, is a 54-year-old Pueblo native who has "moved away and come back, moved away and come back. But this time, I didn't come back because of marijuana."

Having been in and out of the Pueblo Rescue Mission, Martin has his finger on the pulse of the homeless community as much as anyone.

"In my experience, a lot of the guys came here for marijuana, to try to get their medical license, and a lot of them wanted to grow and try to make some money," Martin said. "But mainly they came here to smoke because it's legal."

Colorado, Martin explained, has been especially appealing for pot enthusiasts from Texas "because of the strong anti-marijuana laws down there. They've been caught a few times and they figure if they get caught again, they are going to do serious time. So they're coming to a state where it's legal."

Martin said he personally knows several Texas transplants, including one who is looking to become a grower.

"He's been down on his luck, but he's got a good idea, a good plan," said Martin. "It's just a matter of getting it off the ground. I know some other people who are growers that are doing pretty good."

Martin estimates that as many as half of the transients on the street during any given day "came here for the marijuana. So they panhandle to get smoke or whatever else. It's bringing in a lot of shady people.

"If marijuana wasn't legal, I believe the homeless and transient problem would go down," he said.

With his wife suffering from cancer, Greg, no last name given, moved here from California several years ago in the hopes that medical marijuana would help with his wife's condition.

"But the marijuana did no good," said the 46-year-old Greg. "It didn't help her. She passed away April 21."

Now homeless, Greg said he does not partake of either commercial or medical marijuana. But he knows plenty of people who do.

"More people are coming here to smoke, legally or not," Greg said. "That's why the homeless population has grown. And then there's those who aren't homeless yet . . . but they're going to be, because they can't make it here.

"They try to get a place here and get on medical marijuana because something is wrong with them. I know probably 15 or 20 like that, trying to get their medical card. But they don't have any money or anything, so they end up homeless."

istockphoto1.jpg

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Homeless Say Marijuana Drew Many People To Pueblo
Author: Jon Pompia
Photo Credit: iStock

That's a crock of donkey poop !! No one has ever been hooked on mj, and noone was ever homeless because pot is legal !! It's a warm climate, yr. round, and that attract the homeless !! but make no bones about it, they aren't homeless in pueblo for no other reason than being lazy bums !! Or in some (few)cases, have a physical disability preventing them from working !! MJ is not the problem, panhandlers are your problem !! People like you piss me right the f--k off !! 'Martin', You should feel ashamed saying any of that false shit about cannabis !! Open a business Martin, hire some of those pot addicts, do something for your community !! Read a few books, and stop bashing pot !!

Do not misunderstand me. I am a 100% recreational marijuana advocate.

Having said that it is important to intellectually understand exactly what is the medical definition of addiction. Almost anything can produce an addictive behavior. Here is a good link for self enlightenment. If you take the time (5 - 10 minutes) to read through some of it you will come away with a new expanded understanding of addiction. My basic understanding of addiction as it applies to marijuana is that there are most likely other factors (many or few) that have lead to the marijuana addicted person to become reliant on the marijuana high. Being a panhandler or a vagrant is unfortunate but I believe these marijuana addicted people can be helped to become productive members of society with enough resources.

ASAM Definition of Addiction

Back
Top Bottom