CO2 For Extinguishing

chemo64

My question is, can I use CO2 for a potential fire.
My thoughts are replacing my smoke alarm wth a wifi alarm, so while I am away, I will be alerted . I would then have a large CO2 tank with a solenoid plugged into a smart outlet which I would be able to turn on. If this idea works, I would use pvc pipe going around the room for optimal dispersion.
Does any of this make sense, is someone already doing this or am I just hoping for too much?
Please slam me with your thoughts.
Thanks everyone.

I thought I was in the right spot to ask. If not, please direct me where to. Thanks.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

CO2 will certainly work as a fire extinguisher, yes.

Plants get all of their carbon from CO2, so of course within reason, they love it.

But please bear in mind that CO2 is a powerful asphyxiating agent that actually suppresses breathing when inhaled. It's also heavier than air so tends to pool in low spots in the absence of wind. So I'd be wary of discharging a lot it (like a 10 lb tank for example) into an enclosed space automatically. You could potentially asphyxiate life forms in the area...

Just something to think about...
Hope that helps...
Sci

On a serious note, please don't do this. Anyone who responds to the fire may well find that the fire has been extinguished, but still be in peril due to the CO2 displacing oxygen. As pointed out, asphyxiation is a real possibility for any first responders.

I get it. Rather than have the fire alarm call the authorities to bust his grow, he wants to correct the problem locally. Still, I'm thinking an ounce of prevention... premium quality ballast that won't self-immolate, no combustibles in the area, so metal racks, supports, reflectors, etc, not plastic. Etc Etc. Best bet just to have someone stay home and babysit?

BTW, 20 years ago a friend had a house fire when he had a metal halide grow going in a kiddie pool in the basement. (The fire wasn't caused by the grow setup.) The first responders saw his setup--he said a cop even picked up his sooty pipe from the coffee table and gave it a good look--but they didn't bust him. My luck has seldom been that good...

420-magazine-mobile893068176.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1751310377.jpg

420-magazine-mobile225266878.jpg

420-magazine-mobile671047036.jpg

Got a large bottle of CO2. Going to hard pipe and set it up. This will surely work.

Just in case you didn't know, the CO2 in the tank is liquid. If you discharge the tank in a position other than vertical, you get liquid CO2 / "Dry Ice" shooting out (which is pretty cool, actually ;)).

You'd also have to use a halon valve. A standard valve would freeze up pretty rapidly.

Back
Top Bottom