Coast of Maine Soil Anyone?

jwb87

Can anyone give me a YAY or NAY on this soil
Soil12.jpg

I swear it is IMPOSSIBLE to find any decent soil within an hour one way from where I live. No ones even heard of Fox Farms.

This is the closest to Organic I could find. The guy at Agway SAID that it doesnt have any nutrients in it though.

It says that it is made with Sphagnum Peat Moss, and Perlite, enriched with Compost and Seaweed.

But my issue is that it was dirt cheap (no pun intended). Only $6 per bag, I was thinking good soil ran around $15 a bag. Just dont want any bugs or mold. So Im looking to see if anyone's had any luck with this or else Ill return it.

Thanks as always everyone!

Might want to add a small amount of lime so as to help avoid pH issues as the peat starts breaking down.

I've never used - or seen - that brand of soil, so if you decide to use it I'd appreciate you returning to this thread and letting us know how it goes.

I would assume that if a soil(sic) product is adulterated with nutrients, that it would be clearly marked on the package as a selling point.

Good luck. Having to have soil shipped to you is rather expensive.

Several people use various Pro-Mix products, either alone or in a mixture with other brands. You might check into that and - if you decide to try one of them - call local nursery and landscaping centers. It can be had in reasonably large quantities - such as 3.8-cubic foot packages. While you're there, ask about perlite - it's MUCH cheaper in 4-cubic foot bags than the small sized bags you'll see at 'Marts.

K, just mix a little lime into the bunch.

Well Ill be looking for some short term seedling soil for smaller pots tomorrow, as Im starting to see roots at the bottom of my rock wool.

I plan to gently open up the rock wool to transplant to some smaller vegging pots, and eventually transplant to their final 3 gal resting spot.

This soil I picked up @ Agway, which seemed to be the most organic I could find within an hour 1 way, but I guess Ill be the guinea pig for it, just really dont want to introduce mites/mold to the girls :bitingnails:

Thanks for the help! :thanks:

K, just mix a little lime into the bunch.

Just a hunch. Depends on variables (how long your grows are - extended vegetative period? - for one). Might not need to.

I plan to gently open up the rock wool to transplant

Good luck.

dont want to introduce mites/mold to the girls

You're probably more likely to carry in spider mites on your clothes from walking through your yard or if you move plants from outdoors to indoors and you almost certainly have far more mold spores in your home than you'll find in a bag of soil. But... It's quick and easy to sterilize soil (that doesn't have any nutrients in it). If you do it in the oven, you probably don't want to do it when your wife is home (especially on the night that she was going to bake a nice pie).

Just a hunch. Depends on variables (how long your grows are - extended vegetative period? - for one). Might not need to.

Im hoping to be harvested within 3 months tops, as they're autoflowering, and on the website they claim the Automaria II strain is done within 2 months, but thats High hopes I believe. But I THINK they'll be in veg for a few weeks, 1 month tops, in the smaller pot before I transplant to the 3 gal to promote root growth.

You're probably more likely to carry in spider mites on your clothes from walking through your yard or if you move plants from outdoors to indoors and you almost certainly have far more mold spores in your home than you'll find in a bag of soil. But... It's quick and easy to sterilize soil (that doesn't have any nutrients in it). If you do it in the oven, you probably don't want to do it when your wife is home (especially on the night that she was going to bake a nice pie).

Good to know, looked at a friends indoor plants today in his window sill and had tons of tiny bugs running all over his MG soil, but hes also got dogs and cats that might have brought stuff in. Just has me worried. Any recommendation on baking techniques?

Thanks as always TS!! :Namaste:

What TorturedSoul said, lol.

I don't think that is dirt cheap for that 1 cubic foot. I payed just over $11 for a 1.5 bag of Roots Organic yesterday. I added a cup of dolomite lime to 1 cubic ft of it after reading advice from TorturedSoul, Droopy Dog, and N.W. Green. A huge piece of the growing puzzle I was missing!

I wouldn't sweat the quality of the soil, I'm sure it will do just fine. Do you have nutes to add? I may have missed that in the thread. I would imagine its more in lines with FF Happy Frog, a mild soil.

You should be able to get the seed starter soil at a Mart or Depot of some sort but I think that soil you have will do just fine to start with in a small pot mixed with perlite.

One last thing...I noticed you mentioned carefully pulling the rockwool off when you are ready to plant. No need for that, just plop it in the dirt and your off and running. No sense in harming any roots.

Keep us posted :popcorn:

Ok, just my first time EVER buying soil, and reading about these other people spending $15 for some FF ocean stuff or whatnot, I thought I was getting Cheap O shtuff.

I do have nutes, pics in my gallery/journal in my sig, AN Micro, Gro, n Bloom.

Looking to do transplant tomorrow afternoon. Think Ill try to break open the RW, if it seems the roots are too integrated then Ill leave em be as you suggest, I just want them to get that soil and spread their roots out! Gosh cant wait!!!

Thanks for all the feedback :thanks:

Ok, just my first time EVER buying soil, and reading about these other people spending $15 for some FF ocean stuff or whatnot, I thought I was getting Cheap O shtuff.

I do have nutes, pics in my gallery/journal in my sig, AN Micro, Gro, n Bloom.

Looking to do transplant tomorrow afternoon. Think Ill try to break open the RW, if it seems the roots are too integrated then Ill leave em be as you suggest, I just want them to get that soil and spread their roots out! Gosh cant wait!!!

Thanks for all the feedback :thanks:

Oh-that's right you had those nutes for a hydro set up. Remember the Micro is for hydro only, just the Grow and Bloom for soil.
There will be a lot of roots in the rockwool. I would leave them, the RW does not inhibit root growth and actually shrinks up over a few weeks. Trying to prevent shock is the reason I suggest just planting them.

Good luck! I'm excited for you :high-five:

Im hoping to be harvested within 3 months tops, as they're autoflowering, and on the website they claim the Automaria II strain is done within 2 months, but thats High hopes I believe.

I don't recall offhand the breakdown rates - you might be fine without adding lime (or without adding much) within the time period in which an AF strain grows and flowers. A decent pH meter is a must (super-economy(lol) models such as the Milwaukee pH600 can be had for around $20-28 and although they do NOT have a replaceable probe, only have one-point manual calibration, and aren't the most accurate devices on Terra... They are easily worth what you pay for them, lol, and should help you monitor/adjust pH while you learn (disregard if you already know)).

But I THINK they'll be in veg for a few weeks, 1 month tops, in the smaller pot before I transplant to the 3 gal to promote root growth.

From my reading - understand that I've not personally grown AF strains and that, therefore, this has NOT been verified by me - I get the impression that initial container size (depth, volume) can be a factor in the overall size of the plant at harvest and its yield. Another impression is that starting off in a LARGE container might mean slower growth at first "above the soil" and a slightly lengthier total time to harvest (all other factors being basically equal).

As I stated, I have not had the opportunity to personally confirm or deny this. Part of it, at least, makes sense (to me;)) though. I've got three different strains that I've managed to keep rather small for several months because I wasn't ready for them; they're "growing" in 18-ounce Solo cups:). (They have begun to stretch, though - but I attribute that to the fact that they're currently sitting under a weak CFL light about four feet away; it's a wonder they haven't "stretched" right out of their cups and then ran away.) And then there's that pepper plant that I've got growing in a 12(?)-ounce cup by a window that's really small. It has two peppers on it that look like they're ready to be eaten, though...

Yeah, I'm just jabbering away. Don't know why. :bigtoke:

Good to know, looked at a friends indoor plants today in his window sill and had tons of tiny bugs running all over his MG soil, but hes also got dogs and cats that might have brought stuff in. Just has me worried.

I'm not saying that bugs don't stow away in soil. Just that they stow away on lots of things. But I guess that's no reason to ignore the possibly of the one because of the possibility of the other.

Any recommendation on baking techniques?

Absolutely. Pull out one RAW all-natural king-sized paper. Place approximately 1 gram of the finest kind in your grinder. Pop the lid on and twist- Err, wait a minute...

Yeah. Preheat the oven to 180°F-200°F. While it is heating, distract the wife long enough to grab her best casserole dish (just kidding). Or any reasonably large dish that's oven-safe and around 3"-4" deep. Make sure soil is slightly damp (NOT soggy!). Place an even layer in the dish - in a 3" deep dish, I usually almost fill it - and cover tightly with aluminum foil. When oven is at desired temperature, place dish in the middle of the center rack, close oven door, and set a timer for... IDK, 20-30 minutes. Tape note to timer reminding you to remove the soil and turn the oven off just in case that the soil is not the only thing that gets baked while you wait. Be aware that some people recommend using a meat thermometer to make sure that the soil temperature reaches 180°F and does NOT go over 200°F. <SHRUGS> I don't bother (but probably should because my oven is older than I am - and I'm no pup). But some things can create a toxic condition in your soil if they are heated to much over 200°F, so I thought I'd mention that. I just set the thermostat between the 175°F mark and the 200°F mark at what I think looks good. But... Well, you know.

Oh-that's right you had those nutes for a hydro set up. Remember the Micro is for hydro only, just the Grow and Bloom for soil.
There will be a lot of roots in the rockwool. I would leave them, the RW does not inhibit root growth and actually shrinks up over a few weeks. Trying to prevent shock is the reason I suggest just planting them.

Good luck! I'm excited for you :high-five:

Its been suggested to use all three even for soil, any harm in using the Micro?? Only one cube I can see the root from the bottom of the cube, so far no real shrinkage yet, but I still wanna get it done tomorrow. I def. understand the shockage point! Maybe under a green light it would be OK to crack them open?

Ty sir for your encouragement!!

I don't recall offhand the breakdown rates - you might be fine without adding lime (or without adding much) within the time period in which an AF strain grows and flowers. A decent pH meter is a must (super-economy(lol) models such as the Milwaukee pH600 can be had for around $20-28 and although they do NOT have a replaceable probe, only have one-point manual calibration, and aren't the most accurate devices on Terra... They are easily worth what you pay for them, lol, and should help you monitor/adjust pH while you learn (disregard if you already know)).

From my reading - understand that I've not personally grown AF strains and that, therefore, this has NOT been verified by me - I get the impression that initial container size (depth, volume) can be a factor in the overall size of the plant at harvest and its yield. Another impression is that starting off in a LARGE container might mean slower growth at first "above the soil" and a slightly lengthier total time to harvest (all other factors being basically equal).

As I stated, I have not had the opportunity to personally confirm or deny this. Part of it, at least, makes sense (to me;)) though. I've got three different strains that I've managed to keep rather small for several months because I wasn't ready for them; they're "growing" in 18-ounce Solo cups:). (They have begun to stretch, though - but I attribute that to the fact that they're currently sitting under a weak CFL light about four feet away; it's a wonder they haven't "stretched" right out of their cups and then ran away.) And then there's that pepper plant that I've got growing in a 12(?)-ounce cup by a window that's really small. It has two peppers on it that look like they're ready to be eaten, though...

Yeah, I'm just jabbering away. Don't know why. :bigtoke:

I'm not saying that bugs don't stow away in soil. Just that they stow away on lots of things. But I guess that's no reason to ignore the possibly of the one because of the possibility of the other.
Absolutely. Pull out one RAW all-natural king-sized paper. Place approximately 1 gram of the finest kind in your grinder. Pop the lid on and twist- Err, wait a minute...

Yeah. Preheat the oven to 180°F-200°F. While it is heating, distract the wife long enough to grab her best casserole dish (just kidding). Or any reasonably large dish that's oven-safe and around 3"-4" deep. Make sure soil is slightly damp (NOT soggy!). Place an even layer in the dish - in a 3" deep dish, I usually almost fill it - and cover tightly with aluminum foil. When oven is at desired temperature, place dish in the middle of the center rack, close oven door, and set a timer for... IDK, 20-30 minutes. Tape note to timer reminding you to remove the soil and turn the oven off just in case that the soil is not the only thing that gets baked while you wait. Be aware that some people recommend using a meat thermometer to make sure that the soil temperature reaches 180°F and does NOT go over 200°F. <SHRUGS> I don't bother (but probably should because my oven is older than I am - and I'm no pup). But some things can create a toxic condition in your soil if they are heated to much over 200°F, so I thought I'd mention that. I just set the thermostat between the 175°F mark and the 200°F mark at what I think looks good. But... Well, you know.

Love the jabbing away, very helpful, any and all constructive criticism is welcome, Id love to have your jabbing in my journal to make sure Im not messing up!! Will def. try the baking just to be sure, last GF left some baking stuff here so its all game!! Thanks for the help TS!! :peace:

PS I do have a milwaukee PH meter & some sort of PPM meter, havent really used either yet haha.

Here is a read from a local grower breeder here. This was in a newsletter I get each month. He always has a good tip or two in there about growing. I've smoked his Sour Bubble...one of the most amazing strains ever!! I know it does not pertain to auto's totally, but hits the point you were making.

"Re-potting to Increase Indoor Yields experienced indoor growers who grow
organically in pots all agree that larger pots give larger yields . The problems
however are space when vegging plants, good plant health and final yields.
The easy way would be to just plant your seed or clone in a large pot to begin with. The trouble with this is that the initial growth will be slow
while the small plant tries to root too large a pot. We start in 18-24 oz . pot s and we transplant to 1-gallon pots halfway through veg , at about 4 weeks.
Plants are reinvigorated by transplants and if timed correctly the final transplant in veg happens about 7-10 days before you want to flower your
plants. This will again reinvigorate your plants before the flowering stage.
We call this "Catching the Shoot". What this means is timing the vigor for early flowering. A spurt of growth is seen shortly after the transplant. We find 3-gallon pots sufficient for 2-3 oz. yields and while 4 or 5-gallon pots
will yield slightly more given the same time, there is a point of diminishing
returns. Find the size and schedule that suits you and your favorite strain to
maximize your yields. Yields are due to genetics, general health level and the size of the root system.

BOG SEEDS PRESENTS
BushyOldGrowers Tips"

Its been suggested to use all three even for soil, any harm in using the Micro?? Only one cube I can see the root from the bottom of the cube, so far no real shrinkage yet, but I still wanna get it done tomorrow. I def. understand the shockage point! Maybe under a green light it would be OK to crack them open?

Ty sir for your encouragement!!

I've read it a few times, and here is the link to AN's site. Right column explains. Grow Micro Bloom - Hydroponics Nutrients, organic Nutrients
For the shrinkage, I meant after its been planted in the soil.

Good luck! :peace:

I was looking to throw my sprouts into some MG organic soil tonight into these pots
Square_Pot_1.jpg
Square_Pot_2.jpg

And then in a few weeks shake off the MG, and transplant to my 3 gal pots with the Coast of Maine soil, that seem alright??

As for the nutes, I didnt see anything on that website, or on the backs of the jugs saying to stay away from the micro, it suggests using all 3 for hydro & soil. But your saying youve had "small" results using micro?? Again you can watch all my first timer messups in my journal from my sig, thx again all!!! :Namaste:

i would give it a YAY i bought a couple bags of the Lobster Compost from C.O.M mixed with dirt from the wholes added eggshells,rockdust and coffee grinds along with some FF nutes weekly and plants are HEALTHLY no buds yet but there happy. im thinking this season ill use pro mix bx with compost and area dirt. used just the promix with organic manure fert pellet stuff and A & B cocos. up on a clay riverbank they were loving it til all 15+ got ripped

I know it is a old thread , but, if your using coast of Maine organic products, or thinking of using them check out the ''Stoneington blend'',
$$$$, but, look at the mixture in it..... nice ugh..

any hoot just thought I'd mention it , they just came out with it last fall???

be well

fringe50

Back
Top Bottom