COB LED color temperature for full cycle question

6pac

Hi!
I'm growing on tight budget and I plan to assemble a DIY COB LED grow light.
I can get a hold of COBs much easier than HID grow lights so I choose to use LEDs.
I'm putting together 4-6 COBs for full cycle growth.
The COB that I have chosen is the Cree CXB3070.
Mouser, the place I will be buying it from sells CXB3070s with different color temps at different prices.
The average price is about USD30.
I could get 5000k 2700k and LEDs almost $10 each cheaper than 3500k and 3000k LEDs.
I could possibly save $60 plus more because if I keep my buy below $200, I wont have to pay duties which is about 25%.

So my question is:
Could I use only 5000k LEDs, only 2700k LEDs, or a combination of both for the full cycles and still get good yields
or should I spend on something else?

Thanks 420

A good rule of thumb is to just build for flowering, vegging is not as important and these plants will grow like crazy either way, many people veg using HPS, no problems there ;)

Spectrum is secondary, output is primary.

3000K is argueably the best all round CCT for full cycle.

I think you should stay away from the 5000K and go all 2700K in stead, much more photosynthesis for the watts used, maybe a single 5000K as a stretch inhibitor, but that's hardly necessary.

I think you should look at the Luminus CXM22 COB's they're $19 each and better than the ones you're looking at.

Or get into building with linear light strips ;)

80CRI is more efficient and 90CRI is better for flowering, but all marginal

A good rule of thumb is to just build for flowering, vegging is not as important and these plants will grow like crazy either way, many people veg using HPS, no problems there ;)

Spectrum is secondary, output is primary.

3000K is argueably the best all round CCT for full cycle.

I think you should stay away from the 5000K and go all 2700K in stead, much more photosynthesis for the watts used, maybe a single 5000K as a stretch inhibitor, but that's hardly necessary.

I think you should look at the Luminus CXM22 COB's they're $19 each and better than the ones you're looking at.

Or get into building with linear light strips ;)

80CRI is more efficient and 90CRI is better for flowering, but all marginal

Thanks for the info, PurpleGunRack

I think I'll get the Luminus CXM22 instead
Would a 4000k Luminus CXM22 be alright?
I could get other colors but I would have to wait 7 weeks. Maybe I should wait

Also, are the cheapy 5050 led strips any good for growing?

I went with Citizen 1212's 3500k 90cri, as folks were saying it has an enhanced red in there and enough blue to do a start to finish. Im still going to add some vero29 1750k's in there soon though.

Thanks for the info, PurpleGunRack

I think I'll get the Luminus CXM22 instead
Would a 4000k Luminus CXM22 be alright?
I could get other colors but I would have to wait 7 weeks. Maybe I should wait

Also, are the cheapy 5050 led strips any good for growing?

If you can I think you should wait, on a budget you want to get it right the first time, however 4000K is gonna be awesome no doubt and the difference is probably quite small ;)

I don't what those strips are, but the F, Q and H series from Samsung are the best you can get these days ;)

I went with Citizen 1212's 3500k 90cri, as folks were saying it has an enhanced red in there and enough blue to do a start to finish. Im still going to add some vero29 1750k's in there soon though.

Yep 90 CRI is certainly seems like it's worth getting for flowering ;)

Is the meat chip worth the extra cost and power? Can't we achieve the same with IR/Far Red initiators?

Do you have a spectrum chart for the 1750K?

Curious to see how it turns out :passitleft:

If you can I think you should wait, on a budget you want to get it right the first time, however 4000K is gonna be awesome no doubt and the difference is probably quite small ;)

I don't what those strips are, but the F, Q and H series from Samsung are the best you can get these days ;)

Yep 90 CRI is certainly seems like it's worth getting for flowering ;)

Is the meat chip worth the extra cost and power? Can't we achieve the same with IR/Far Red initiators?

Do you have a spectrum chart for the 1750K?

Curious to see how it turns out :passitleft:

I was going to add a couple far red initiators just for bed time, easy job to add a few diodes to my rails without any heatsinks.

I was doing some research on them a few weeks ago while getting my shopping cart together for my cob build, and they are supposed to help firm the nugs up nice and tight. I forget where i was reading from, but I still dont think many people have tried them or documented the results. Im not ready to pull the trigger on them yet, but im keeping my ear to the floor for some definate feedback. Ive got enough space on my arrays for 8 more cobs, so im open to suggestions for a flowering boost that will compliment the 1212 3500k spectrum.

Back
Top Bottom