This thread will serve as point of reference concerning cobbing. Please refrain from comments better suited for the other cobbing threads and allow this space to be used for just the essentials. Content here will be things brought up or discovered in the other threads that the community feels is important to the process of curing so that anyone can come here and easily find all they need to successfully complete a cob cure! Hopefully this will be helpful for all!

Finished My COB Accessory Kit Number 1

I am a cheap B***** so most was picked up through CL approximate cost
total 110.00

==============================
CL Craigslist = 95.00 NO TAX but probably 10 in gas (FoodSaver 35 , Dehydrator 25 , FoodSaver Accessory's 25)

Store items = 11.00 plus tax ( Sushi Roller 1.50 Daiso, Hemp Cord 2.50 Walmart, Corn Husks 6.99 Whole Foods )

TOTAL Approx = 110.00
==============================

The dehydrator is used as an alternate method to reach the temps necessary during the sweating process. You can set the temp and leave the vacuum sealed cob in there for the sweat period. With the cob sealed the wind blowing in the dehydrator is a non factor and it simply becomes an easy way to maintain the optimal temps for sweat.

The dehydrator is used as an alternate method to reach the temps necessary during the sweating process. You can set the temp and leave the vacuum sealed cob in there for the sweat period. With the cob sealed the wind blowing in the dehydrator is a non factor and it simply becomes an easy way to maintain the optimal temps for sweat.

Can you do the same for ferment?

When I have some photos to add I'll have a mod do an edit switch. :battingeyelashes:

Basic guidelines for sweated buds
* quart jar, paper towel on the bottom, filled to an inch or two from the top, leaving a small open space
* vacuum seal the jar
* sweat 2 days at 104° (watch for desired color change)
* remove and dry to 62-65% RH
* continue the cure as preferred

Can you do the same for ferment?

Most dehydrators I've seen have a low temp of 95° which won't work for a standard fermentation stage. Too high. Not that it can't be done. Apparently anything is game, within reason m'lord. Lol!

This is @DrDoob ’s breakdown of the process:

Prep stage:
Harvest your buds and hang dry for 1-2 days. If you were to put them in a jar with a hygrometer they’d be ready when it reads about 75% - 82%.

Roll 1 to 1-1/2 ounces into a log and wrap it in a pre-moistened, and washed corn husk.

Sweat Stage:
Vacuum seal the wrapped log in a bag and “ferment” at 104° for 24 hours or so, I use a food dehydrator others use seed starter mats and someone even puts theirs in a heated a hot tub.

After 24 hours, or until you feel they are ready, open the vacuum sealed bags and husk and dry the cob for an hour or two, until it feels dry on the outside but still moist and flexible on the inside.

Ferment stage:
Vacuum seal again and let sit at 80° for one week. The first couple weeks I rewrap it in the corn husk but after that I just put them right in the vacuum bags with no husk.

After a week at 80° open it and let dry to the touch again (an hour or two).

Reseal and leave at 80° for another week then open, dry, and reseal again. Repeat for a total of four weeks or until you feel they are ready.

After four weeks or so of opening, drying, and resealing leave them out to dry for 1-2 days. If you were to put them in a jar with a hygrometer they’ll be ready when it stabilizes at about 62%.

Cure stage:
Put the unwrapped cobs in a jar with an optional 62% Boveda pack and burp the jar semi regularly for about three months just as you would cure regular buds.

Blast off and enjoy.

:passitleft:

Ok for a Cob-A-Tron you will need:

A seed heating mat.
A foam cooler to place the mat in the bottom of.
A STC-1000 controller (Flea Bay).
2 6 foot extension cords.
1 Bath towel.

Wrap heat mat with bath towel and place in bottom of foam cooler.

Two 6 foot extension cords where used for this. One of them(Cord #1) you cut the female end off completely as it is not needed. That is the cord to power the STC-1000. The other(Cord #2) has the mat plugged into female end. The male end will get plugged into wall when assembly is complete.

The Cord on left is plugged direct into wall (Cord #1). That is the power for the STC-1000 itself.
Then you have the sensor (Black wire)

Then you have an extension cord(Cord #2) with just one wire split and put into STC-1000. One end of wire is under 1 of the Heat terminals the other one is on the other Heat terminal. That is the switch. When the STC needs heat it closes that switch which allows mat to heat up. When at temp the STC will open switch and the mat will turn off.

Finished Cob-A-Tron.

Someone with more experience with the cobs could probably answer this better than me but basically you are fermenting the buds through a sweat and cure in a vacuum sealed environment to eliminate possibility of mold. The cob itself can be smoked or eaten. The smoke has often been described as very light as in smoking air. The high often described as heightened when compared to the regular smoke. Chewing the cob is often described as a high that allows you to leave reality and seems often psychedelic and euphoric in description. If you haven’t had the chance to check out the main cobbing journal I highly encourage you to. Here is a link.
Tangwena’s Malawi Style Cob Cure - Fermented Cannabis

By chewing the cob, you mean eating the bud after its fermented or eating the husk?
No husk. It is removed before consuming. From posts in the other thread seems like some only leave them in the husks for a few weeks of the process

Is there a point where it stops getting more potent or does it keep getting more potent the longer you do it for?
There is a sweet spot that we are all learning about. That's why you should test it weekly, when it gets to the point you love it, then let it dry completely and it will lock in that effect. You can then store it in a jar with a humidity pack or just vac seal it. A lot of this is just feel or follow your nose. Every strain is different and experimenting is encouraged. Now I've done a few I see how different sweat and ferment times and temps result in different smells. It's an art form. I haven't had a bad one yet but I have some better than others.

Back
Top Bottom