There is a sweet spot that we are all learning about. That's why you should test it weekly, when it gets to the point you love it, then let it dry completely and it will lock in that effect. You can then store it in a jar with a humidity pack or just vac seal it. A lot of this is just feel or follow your nose. Every strain is different and experimenting is encouraged. Now I've done a few I see how different sweat and ferment times and temps result in different smells. It's an art form. I haven't had a bad one yet but I have some better than others.

So, Neiko (and others!), do you prefer the cobs to "traditionally" cured buds? Or, is it more of a "change of pace" and some variety?

If I could only have it one way I'd go with cobs. The smoke is so smooth. Flavors are different not necessarily better or worse. The best of both worlds is to mix the 2.
For me it’s a change of pace thing. I prefer the flavor of traditional cured, but the smoothness of cobs. I’m the opposite of neikodog in that if I had to only choose one it would be traditional.
:passitleft:

Thanks guys! :thanks:

I notice that, in both of your replies, you mention the flavors and the smoothness of the smoke, but neither of you mentioned the "effects". What are your opinions on the potency of the meds?

I notice that, in both of your replies, you mention the flavors and the smoothness of the smoke, but neither of you mentioned the "effects". What are your opinions on the potency of the meds?

I smoke joints all day long, it’s really hard to judge much beyond “that works”. I have noticed my GF stops smoking COB joints a bit earlier than traditional. Smoking them I will say COBing doesn’t take away much potancy if any. For a reference of experience, I’ve smoked 9 different strains of COBs a full mix of hybrid/indica/sativa, 5 of mine and 4 from SweetSue and they all “worked” very well.

Chewing on them on the other hand was a whole different experience all together, I only chewed one Sativa. After a two hour grace period I suddenly got really high for a really long time. I did a lot of drugs when I was a much younger man and I couldn’t go so far as to say it was a psychedelic experience but it was pretty close. I need a day off work before I’d try that again.

On that note, you can see the versatility of the cob. Smokable, edible or chewable offering a sublingual intake I imagine. Each also offering a different experience.

If I was forced to pick one it would be the cobs. We like the smooth smoke here and the effects the best I can describe `get deeper`. I have both traditional and cob of all most every plant I have grown. The cobs all seem to have a little more chill in the effects department.

Im going to do it with some indiana bubble gum cross. That sounds super tasty, i could easy munch on that. Mm just sounds too good. Thatll be my first grow journal on here so everyone stay tuned, the start is being posted tonight. I probly shouldve started it sooner cause they already popped, but they sprouted fast almost like an autos which was awesome but really strange. Cant wait to be chewing some bubblegum :p

If I was forced to pick one it would be the cobs. We like the smooth smoke here and the effects the best I can describe `get deeper`. I have both traditional and cob of all most every plant I have grown. The cobs all seem to have a little more chill in the effects department.
I smoke joints all day long, it’s really hard to judge much beyond “that works”. I have noticed my GF stops smoking COB joints a bit earlier than traditional. Smoking them I will say COBing doesn’t take away much potancy if any. For a reference of experience, I’ve smoked 9 different strains of COBs a full mix of hybrid/indica/sativa, 5 of mine and 4 from SweetSue and they all “worked” very well.

Chewing on them on the other hand was a whole different experience all together, I only chewed one Sativa. After a two hour grace period I suddenly got really high for a really long time. I did a lot of drugs when I was a much younger man and I couldn’t go so far as to say it was a psychedelic experience but it was pretty close. I need a day off work before I’d try that again.
I smoke most of the day as well and like to stay medicated. I can go through an oz in a few day. So anyway i can improve the smoke or growing tech, will be much lighter on the pockets. Less stress too lol

I feel like the cob buzz is a little more intense than the same flower. I will have to try eating the cobs again when I have a whole day to devote to it. I'm a little nervous about eating it again. Mainly because I haven't eaten any in a couple months and what I thought was a moderate dose really caught me off guard with the intensity. Every time I've eaten it it has taken a full 3 hours to hit me. Now that I have several that have reached the 3+ month mark I don't know how much to eat. Maybe I'll try a .3 dose this weekend and see. The last dose I ate was .59 but it was only 3 weeks to a month into the cure.

I agree with Neiko. To me, the cob strains I have smoked vs the flower version are stronger in their effects. I can get as high off the flowers but I have to smoke more. I am just now getting close to being done with a few of my cob cures so I can weigh in more on the other thread after I have sampled more. I think today might be some Blue Dream cob.

I agree with Neiko. To me, the cob strains I have smoked vs the flower version are stronger in their effects. I can get as high off the flowers but I have to smoke more. I am just now getting close to being done with a few of my cob cures so I can weigh in more on the other thread after I have sampled more. I think today might be some Blue Dream cob.
Right on! Im forsure going to do it with most of my autos to increase the potentcy and probly half of my princess bubblegum crop. From Cob leds, to cob curing .haha cobs on cobs on cobs.

Right on! Im forsure going to do it with most of my autos to increase the potentcy and probly half of my princess bubblegum crop. From Cob leds, to cob curing .haha cobs on cobs on cobs.

I originally came here because I thought it was about the cob lights, which I just so happen to grow with. Imagine my surprise when I see these devices and am reading about corn husks lol.

Ya got me interested though! Had never heard of this before!

I’m positive the first post has a link to the ongoing discussions. Join us Mcubed. :hug: You won’t believe the difference in euphoric effect and smoothness of the smoke.

We're Just beginning to play with cobs in carrier oils, among other delights. The more brains applied to the project the better for all of us.

If I’m looking for COBs I’m looking for Dan at Timber Grow Lights. Personal choice. :battingeyelashes:

On that note, you can see the versatility of the cob. Smokable, edible or chewable offering a sublingual intake I imagine. Each also offering a different experience.

Add to that the relative ease with which I’ve been able to drop a sliver here and there through my personal effects while traveling and they don’t cause the alert that flower does when flying.

Not that I suggest that anyone attempt to sneak some on the flight, just that I found it easier to do myself. :battingeyelashes: When you fly as often as I have lately and end up far from your personal stash, cobs have been something of a godsend.

So grow 2 under my belt and seems I may have my favorite cure at last. After experimenting with odorless decarbs in vacuum bags in pressure cooker, Jar in the oven or mostly using ABV for my edibles.

I probably was too baked when reading directions & / or too lazy / or in pain to check temps on ,on my crock pot sweat. One method I haven't tried for decarb or even cooking, as such due to sloth or pain levels & just thinking a crock pot on LOW would be not so hot!

Attempt 1. I just put a plate to keep the vac bag off the bottom of crock. Never having used a crock pot and thinking I could only get timer right by leaving on LOW. Well that's a pretty high temp! I didn't check until almost 24 hours later and my Thermo gauge said like 150F! So I put water in it, but not enough and again I didn't check the temp of COB until maybe 12 hours later. The water was evaporating too quickly & when I tested temp it was still too high.

So I don't recall how high wasn't 150+ but higher than suggested in the chart anyway it looks very similar to ABV mostly brownish but some gold and greenish blended in. Before starting next cob I figured out "Keep Warm" just stays on no timer needed to keep it on. Well with water & just warm setting seems perfect. I also had to change my energy saving method of putting towels on top of crock pot. I use that method for cooking rice, so it's a habit.

Attempt 2. I had fresher plant this time Green Crack guesstimate 70% RH spring really hit during the line dry RH inside was at about 50% for like a week. Prior indoor Rh was hovering about 28-32% for last weeks of winter. So I had fresher material COB 1 was probably 63-65% RH

I ended up a little higher temp at first then was able to maintain >140F (ish) that cob I added some Special Sauce I had purchased, I believe 16% CBD it was in mylar bag and 62% RH. Since experimenting with an oil a friend got me I loved the higher CBD content so I bought a couple oz's.

Anyway I vaped some of my "mistake" COB1 a while ago & at first I didn't think much of it. Now 90 mins plus in and I still am rockin' a nice heady motivating buzz. Which prompted me to post so apologies if a bit verbose... ;)

So I certainly used mush higher temps than suggested & worried quite a bit that I possible degraded THC and any other cannabinoids. I am pretty sure COB1 is mostly decarbed + at this point. Not thinking that's such a bad thing, maybe I will get lucky enough to end up with a more sleep aid effect.

So COB1 smells much more like ABV and is much deeper brown is pretty dry inside as well, it cracked when I took out for a check. COB2 much sweeter smell color more varied, also had higher temps than recommended. But not to the degree of COB1.

Neither apparently were moist enough to get droplets in the vac bags. I did see some moisture on the paper bag in spots. So COB1 our 150 degree plus mistake the vac bag did expand similar to my pressure cooker decarbs I have done. So there certainly was some water expelled. Seemingly it seems more like a giant log of decarbed stash.

COB2 while also receiving some higher fluctuating temps never expanded the vacuum bag. I also did double vac bag seal as I have suffered leakage in the past so if effort to keep mold away I double vac packed both COB2 from day 1. COB1 after it did what I refer to as the decarb expand whole pack was expanded similar to when I do decarb in my pressure cooker.

So if anyone has experienced similar higher temp cobbing accidentally or planned I am interested in your experience with final result. COB1 is surely potent I will ingest some next dosing similar to my ABV maybe .7 gram - I would expect THC degradation with COB1 but it certainly is effective will see how or if it differs from ABV. I would typically get a pretty nice experience at that dose, if little THC degradation I will probably be couch locked & unable to follow more than simple plot comedy or cartoons!

Now both cobs moved from my cooler with heat mat which was pretty close 78-90 degrees still maybe too warm but I thought I had steady >80 oh well, all should be OK. Seems like the entire process is basically a slow decarb process with additional chemical changes I don't have a clue about really. Worst case I lose some cannabinoids and most terps with them. But based on smell and look COB2 isn't suffering much!

COB1 - any suggestions appreciated remove from the longer term "warm" box? Or let her rip longer? For recommendations if you have a reason please elaborate or link to another post if applicable. I got anxious about keeping in the cooler box now have them back on my firewall / router which seems to keep around 70 give or take

In vac sealed packs 90 degrees shouldn't do anything more than slow decarb not sure if I already killed any beneficial yeasts with earlier higher temps or if actual "ferment" will continue .

I was going to post last night but wanted to post pics as well, my experiment with .7 gram chew of COB1 was pretty nice! The smell from the cob is not quite identical to ABV taste is better than ABV - I can't attest to how intense the effect was because I fell asleep at some point. I can say I was not immobilized as can happen when too strong of dose for edibles. Certainly wasn't going to be driving or attempting any activities that might have been dangerous.

It did not make me sleepy which is a blessing and curse I still search for the elusive cure or strain that puts me to sleep. My only success w cannabis to sleep requires careful timing and pretty high dosages. Or sometimes actual smoking or combusting can work again timed perfectly about an hour(ish) after smoking.

Pic 1 - COB1 1.5 ounces of unknown strain began with maybe 68-72% RH. before cracking in middle COB1 after cracking. Last Pic COB2 - 24 grams Green Crack added about 2.5 -3 grams Special Sauce purchased tested at 16% CBD
COB1 before Cracking open.JPG

COB1 cracked open.JPG
COB2.JPG

@noobgrow1, I find that I sleep better on the nights I’ve used cobs, because they wear my system out from running so strongly. I’m not certain using cobs as sleep meds by ingesting later in the day would work in quite the same way, based on my own physical responses. They seem to energize rather than slow a body down.

Others may have a different experience, and I’m wat hung for others to chime in.

Interesting that 150° F still worked. Has anyone found a way to keep cobs from working, other than the occasional moldy ones we treat with caution? I don’t recall anyone saying, “they did nothing for me.”

@noobgrow1, I find that I sleep better on the nights I’ve used cobs, because they wear my system out from running so strongly. I’m not certain using cobs as sleep meds by ingesting later in the day would work in quite the same way, based on my own physical responses. They seem to energize rather than slow a body down.

Others may have a different experience, and I’m wat hung for others to chime in.

Interesting that 150° F still worked. Has anyone found a way to keep cobs from working, other than the occasional moldy ones we treat with caution? I don’t recall anyone saying, “they did nothing for me.”

Hey Sue -

Just hit up my first COB mistake again, & I have been primarily using relatively weak tinctures. So I forgot lesson learned last time I guess. Hoped to get the nice mood lift w/o too much giggling so did .6 gr two days ago and .4x something last night. I only do edibles after work cuz...never sure how hard they hit!

Anyway I think I should have dosed maybe .015 - .02gr for similar to GD effects. Wasn't bad over the edge but more than a bit too strong for the moment. I am experimenting as we are away for a few days and need to have predictable dosage while out and about with family.

So as I am making GD with maybe 4-5 gr of that COB and some AVB that has some CBD rich added in I think I will be good. Will try smaller dose tonight but I do sleep better w COBS taken about 5:30 - 7:30pm as long as I don't get too high and totally interested in something, book TV , project whatever.

It is a struggle to really figure doses for medication purposes, have a nice head feel but not forgetting what I ordered for dinner! edibles can really take me out there! Mostly a good way but every know and then I need to fight the anxiety or the "bad place" as my wife and I refer to it. Focusing on all the wrong things while high not fun, usually just have to shift gears & or get higher.

Then it's happy times again!

ANyway my two cobs look good and the one I think probably almost 100% decarbed really potent edible. Will see how tincture comes out.

Best to all thanks for being here!

To me, the cob strains I have smoked vs the flower version are stronger in their effects. I can get as high off the flowers but I have to smoke more.
Re the point that @Van Stank made above about being able to get as high with flowers, altho to do so he needed to smoke more. I wondered if it could be like that because the cobs reduce down and therefore sound like they are more concentrated by weight/volume compared to normal dried cured buds. I dunno, just wondered, altho it's clear folk feel that there is something extra obtained from a Cob cure.

This is a fascinating topic! And one I'd love to try but that'll have to wait until I work out how to keep it at 40C in a stealthy fashion, i.e. I can leave seeds to germinate resting on my Hifi amplifier which is about 27C and family don't see that, but I'm not sure how to do it at 40C for 24 hours without pointed questions being asked. Also, to avoid mold a vacuum sealer is presumably ideal/necessary to avoid that risk.

Back
Top Bottom