Coco coir

Smokin Ace

I was told two different things about growing in 100% coco coir. First I was told that it holds enough water so it only needs 1 daily watering. Then I was told that it is more of a hydro-type medium, needing 5 or 6 waterings per day or a drip system. Does anyone know what is more accurate?

I am also wondering if coco coir/soil mixes benefit more from coco specific nutes or soil specific nutes.

I grew with coco and did well hand watering to waste twice a day.
My containers were too small, but I dodged a bullet and harvested. Coco is very forgiving.
Thing is, to run excess through of 10 or 15% each time. It's hydro, with a long lag capacity.
Watering multiple times is probably better, a worthy project to automate.
Hydro nutes and pH. I used coco specific, but suspect I could get same results cheaper, but
Water to waste wastes less than recirculating systems, and I run low ppm lean.
High dollar nutes are cheap if you don't use much ;)
Good luck!

I was told two different things about growing in 100% coco coir. First I was told that it holds enough water so it only needs 1 daily watering. Then I was told that it is more of a hydro-type medium, needing 5 or 6 waterings per day or a drip system. Does anyone know what is more accurate?

I am also wondering if coco coir/soil mixes benefit more from coco specific nutes or soil specific nutes.

Coco is closer to hydro than soil grows. The frequency of feeding (u don't typically "water" coco) depends on a few things: strain sensitivity to nutes, size of pots, how tall/big you want to grow your plants out. Both suggestions sound accurate. Sounds like they were 2 different setups.:goodluck:

Awesome, thanks guys. When I found out about coco, I was intrigued. I learned on hydro but I wanna get away from the pumps. Coco seems like the best of both worlds.

I guess its experiment time. I'll have to get a camera and start a journal.

I recently read about the coco coir thing and was quite intrigued...if you do post a journal and do a grow using it PLEASE post the link here as I would love to follow it!

BWC, I've got a brick of the coir here that I use with my creepy-crawlies to mix in their substrate...I may have to break a chunk off and see about checking the pH just for curiuosity's sake.

Check it out and get back to us with ur results Lil Neutrino. Not sure what brands cause problems, I just read that some compressed brick type of coir doesn't come with a neutral PH and causes PH issues. I've only dealt with Canna Coco Coir and it comes with a neutral PH (i'm told). Its pricey but I haven't had PH problems that I'm aware of. I watched the Canna DVD I got from the hydro store that shows the different uses and results (in a green house on veggies) and I was sold.

You'll be carrying it one way or the other...either in the jugs/barrels or in the coco coir. If you put the coco coir in a large container it would definitely hold water longer but I don't know that it would last for an entire growing season. However I have never used it, just going by what I've seen in my pet-related uses.

Hey, I just finished a grow in 100% canna coco coir. Plants were in 11 litre pots and vegged for 100 days, so they were pretty big. Still only required a good watering once every 2 days. They do last till 3 days but get a bit dry at that point. Both plants yeided over 4oz each, so the results were there. Bit of a pain having to hand water though.For my next grow I'm gonna mix the coco with 40% perlite and set up a drip system, and running to waste. I think once a day with 10% runoff would make things easier for me. Just my 2c :peace:

Hey, I just finished a grow in 100% canna coco coir. Plants were in 11 litre pots and vegged for 100 days, so they were pretty big. Still only required a good watering once every 2 days. They do last till 3 days but get a bit dry at that point. Both plants yeided over 4oz each, so the results were there. Bit of a pain having to hand water though.For my next grow I'm gonna mix the coco with 40% perlite and set up a drip system, and running to waste. I think once a day with 10% runoff would make things easier for me. Just my 2c :peace:

Nice, Gratz! What nutes did you use? Are you planning to do a journal for the coir/perlite? :smokin:

:Namaste: To anyone thats comeback to read this, here's the definitive answers - supplied by everyone across the net - it took me long enough to find this info.
Coco is hydro - end of - . It is recommended to use for no more than 3 grows before replacing entirely. It is best used for retaining moisture as it acts like a sponge. Do not mix with soil. Best used on DTW (Drain to Waste) system as it retains water and feed, aim for ph reading of 5.8 this is Nirvana for coco. feeding schedule for typical hydro drip system, is 3 x 15 mins within an 18 hr period on a 18/6 hr regime. You can use coco as a bottom feeder (Autopot system) but most threads Ive read suggest adding perlite to help wick upto the coco, this will also help against root rot. If using brick supplied coco - wash, wash, wash again, brick coco is notorious for salt content, if u can afford it use the likes of cana or any high end pre-bagged coco, virtually saltless and near on ph neutral.
Make sure in your nute mix, to add a salt / Algae remover, this is safe for your buds and will prevent drip blockage.
Thats about all I could find to digest on this over the last 2 weeks - so hope it helps

Back
Top Bottom