Coco - Northern Lights - 2015 - 1st Grow - 300W LED - Old Mars Hydro

breezy12

Hi everyone. I would love some support :high-five: during an exciting time for me - my first grow! I will be asking a number of questions, but hopefully not too many silly ones because I have tried to read as many other blogs as possible prior to starting this adventure.

What strain is it? AUTO! Northern Lights (Sensi Seeds)

Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? What percentages? Hybrid

Is it in Veg or Flower stage? 7 days Approx - (Seedling?)

If in Veg... For how long? NA

If in Flower stage... For how long? NA

Indoor or outdoor? Indoor

Soil or Hydro? Coco

If soil... what is in your mix? Coco 60% Vermiculite 20% Perlite 20%

If soil... What size pot? 10L airpot and the smaller one is in a 3L fabric (this is just because I had a spare bean - my main concern is on the bigger plant but if I can get anything from the smaller one I will also be happy)

Size of light? 300w Mars Hydro - cheap on Ebay - so the old version

Is it aircooled/environment? Led doesnt require air cooled but I have a 4 inch RVK extractor and Rhino filter.

Temp of Room/cab? RH of Room/cab? Environment is sitting at between 22-26 degrees with a humidity of between 55-75%. At first I had a very high humidity but this has reduced a lot.

PH of media? I adjust my pH levels - so runoff has been between 6-6.5 pH. Please note - I live in a very hard water area!

Any Pests?None so far - apart from a random big fly today (what the heck!)

How often are you watering? Every 2-3 days - I stupidly didnt do a soil soak before planting the beans so i decided to do a full soak through the other day - so I wont have to water for a while I think (3 days probably)

Type and strength of ferts used?
UK company - Im using:
Plant magic
Root Stimulus - already started on this at v low doses
Plant magic Spray - foliage spray - have not really started this yet and don't plan to until they have more leaves (will use that once a week)
Silicon - used as a ph up also - have put a small amount of that in water already.
I have ready - (the COCO Versions/hard water versions) Plant magic Grow and Plant magic Bloom nutrients ready at hand - but don't plan on using the the grow nutrients until at least day 14.
I will be getting Atami Bloombastic - for the proper flowering stage.
And I have had to use pH down - for reducing my high levels of pH!

Photos and Questions are to follow!

Thanks for taking the time to check in! :) :thanks:

IMG_62862.jpg
IMG_62873.jpg
IMG_62913.jpg
IMG_62882.jpg
IMG_62894.jpg
IMG_62924.jpg
IMG_62934.jpg

Questions - please let me know if you can help

1) How high should I have my LED (300w Marshydro old) at this stage? At the moment it is about 18 inches away. I have read some views saying get them closer and some saying put them higher - is there any consensus?

2) One of my seedlings looks normal - the other looks like a dwarf lol. Its a bit mutated? I am more concerned about the one in the 10L pot as opposed to the mutated one - but has anyone seen something like this. The only difference I can think of is that the mutated one is planted in its jiffy pellet whereas the other one is a seed straight into the coco.

3)For future reference I have a nutrient related question - I am using plant magic nutrients with this Schedule (quartered and halved for autos I feel ;)
post-40791-1252057699.gif

When measuring nutrient additions with an EC reader does it work like this? Add in the nutrients until the EC equals the EC level stated on the schedule then ph down etc. OR Do you measure the EC prior to adding the nutrients - add the additional EC level of the nutrients on top of the base EC level and then PH down etc?

Many thanks in advance :)

More Q's to come in a bit!

Good morning and congrats on starting a journal. You look well prepared and you have a good setup too. I have a Mars 400 and kept it around 26" at first, but if they are doing good under your light at 18" then it must be just fine. When i put my light too close the seedling would actually fall over toward the ground.
When i startedmy seedling a couple of them looked mutated too, but they kinda grew out of it. I think it is pretty common for the first leaves to be funky looking.
i have no idea about the nute question in cocco. I am running dirt and a newby at that. there are many great cocco growers at 420 mag to help you out. You can also put questions in the FAQ area under the grow room tab. You should get a fast response there if you need one. Great job, subbed

Good morning and congrats on starting a journal. You look well prepared and you have a good setup too.

Thanks for checking it out! I will take a look at yours now.

I have a Mars 400 and kept it around 26" at first, but if they are doing good under your light at 18" then it must be just fine. When i put my light too close the seedling would actually fall over toward the ground.

Ah okay thanks man - I will monitor the seedlings closely. Maybe even back the lights to 20-22 inches.

When i startedmy seedling a couple of them looked mutated too, but they kinda grew out of it. I think it is pretty common for the first leaves to be funky looking.

Okay brilliant, I hope its just an ugly duckling for now!

i have no idea about the nute question in cocco. I am running dirt and a newby at that. there are many great cocco growers at 420 mag to help you out. You can also put questions in the FAQ area under the grow room tab. You should get a fast response there if you need one. Great job, subbed

Thanks for trying! Good luck for your grow as well!
Cheers,
Breezy

Hey Man! I like the strain that you choosed. I'm gonna tag along with this one. Its great to start well prepared. i my self have starred a lot of growths that just ended up like a "brave-misstake". Once i got my self a good setup growing has become much more fun. Im using soil and are a newbie when it comes to nuts so i can't help you there. Look at some other guys going coco with the same size of pots and the same nuts. and follow them. Then you know you are on the right side of a "nut-burn-limit" . Sorry about my english :p

but I'm sure about adding PH down after the nut-mix is added to the water. i think they have a impact on the Ph so if u check before adding feds u should check again after
anyway good luck!! :)

Thanks Gawja!

I will take your advice, for sure.

Many thanks for the support and do not worry about your english! It is fine!

Regards,
Breezy

p.s is this website safe? That is my only concern (security). Has anyone ever had problems with their grow journal giving them away?

Good question, your privacy on this site is protected by 420 mag. They dont share with anyone. I just wouldnt get to specific on personal info that you post. They also delete all location info that is sometimes attached to pics. I always keep my location turned off on my phone, just for peace of mind. I am a paranoid person when it comes to security.

Good question, your privacy on this site is protected by 420 mag. They dont share with anyone. I just wouldnt get to specific on personal info that you post. They also delete all location info that is sometimes attached to pics. I always keep my location turned off on my phone, just for peace of mind. I am a paranoid person when it comes to security.

Thanks - that was exactly the peace of mind I was looking for - especially regarding pictures.

Many thanks :thumb:

Hi guys, it is now day 9-10 and there does not seem to have been much growth since my last post on days 6-7 :(
I feel like the conditions in the tent are perfect in terms of environment, at 24-25 degrees and humidity at about 60% most of the time.

The plants are not unhealthy but they are just not very big and dont look that great compared to other people's seedlings at the same stage.

I am not using any real nutrients - apart from some root stimulus, and silicon - I Adjust my pH to 6.2 (and have let the tap water stand at least 24 hours).

My medium is coco perlite vermiculite.

The one in the 10L air pot is small and has a purple stem (first photos), the one in the 3L fabric pot (a side grow - second photos) has weird thick leaves - still growing slow.

My LED light is at 20 inches above the plants.

Am I being impatient? Should I start using a tiny amount of my growth nutrients yet? Please take a look at the photos.

IMG_62965.jpg
IMG_62943.jpg
IMG_62975.jpg
IMG_62953.jpg

Hey Breezy, dont feed yet, your girls are growing their root system in the dirt. they look fine. Evry srain is different, and every plant is different again. I cant believe im sayin this but be patient. I also had to find my patients. In a week or two they will take off. As long as they are green and healthy then you are on the right track. I had a Bubblicious that grew very fast at first and right beside it was a ity bitty Northern Light. Once the NL was ready it launched like a rocket and is now much bigger then the Bubbs. Give them time and do not feed until around two to three weeks and then start with a 1/4 strength or less. Start low and then progress. Lookin good. I know how it feels to look at other grows and think sumthin must be wrong with my own. One day you will be tellin another newby the same things im tellin you. Later

Hey breezy. I am also growing nl. I found that misting them with a spray bottle helped tremendously. I also sprayed them with 1/2 strength nutes when they reached 2 weeks of age and they absolutely loved that

Im ready to do something.... nothing is happening :( Am i not watering them enough? Are they struggling to root because of my 60/20/20 soil mix? Is my marshydo light a fake and just not giving them anything??
Is the fact my mix is coco mean that I should give them mild grow nutes? No progress from day to day and its the two week mark. Im considering planting another strain - my Sensi Auto Skunk next to this tiny girl and seeing if that just catches up..

Any thoughts people??

IMG_63297.jpg
IMG_63248.jpg
IMG_63265.jpg
IMG_63257.jpg

Hey Breezy, looks like the one is starting to yellow and might be a bit hungry. Have you gave any nutes yet? I think it will be okay if you try 1/4 strength feed if you want to. If you want more opinions try starting a thread about your issue under problem, pest, and disease control under the grow room tab. You will have multiple responses within hours. Good luck

Also, there is a grower named Stage who is very good with cocco. He knows what he is doing. Im sure he will help you out and put you on the right path. He is a good dude

Thanks for the feedback, I will look him up! I gave her a tiny bit of growth nutes today with her water. Not much but I will see if that does anything.

Hey buddy, yes I think its been a very slow start for you which isn't good for yield as the auto will begin to flower at any time. I would continue though to see what happens, sometimes they can surprise you. But if your looking for a decent yield I would plant another one or two in their final pots 3gal. I don't know about coco but it seems you need to add nutes every watering so you should 1/4 as was mentioned already. Good luck.
:thumb:

Back
Top Bottom