Coconut oil capsules methods used

Cannacaps4U2

I wanted to start a discussion about methods for creating coconut oil extract.

There are many different methods used for this.
My current method for "cooking"
After decarboxylation and finish grinding I place cannabis and liquid coconut oil in a mini Crock-Pot
Shown here: Crock-Pot 16-Ounce Little Dipper, Chrome

81xwSnVA37L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I tested the temp (single setting) at 200°f
I usually let it cook overnight, my last batch 10g northern lights, and 60ml coconut oil
After straining with cheesecloth and a lemon squeezer I recovered 50ml of oil.
I saved the squeezings and made some chocolate candies (haven't tested these yet)

I am wondering if anyone has done any research or testing to find the best "cooking" method for the most potent extract.
Trying to get the most efficient method to achieve the highest potentcy
If this has been posted can you share the link?

What is your cooking method?

So I tested my last batch, it seems that it should be stronger.
According to the two "THC calculators", these should be around 29mg of THC I every capsule.
I don't think I have built up that much tolerance.

Also as I mentioned I made 10 chocolate haystacks with the leftover pulp.
I tried one of those last night and it was better that one of my capsules.

Just trying to find a more efficient extraction method for coconut oil.

So I tested my last batch, it seems that it should be stronger.
According to the two "THC calculators", these should be around 29mg of THC I every capsule.
I don't think I have built up that much tolerance.

Also as I mentioned I made 10 chocolate haystacks with the leftover pulp.
I tried one of those last night and it was better that one of my capsules.

Just trying to find a more efficient extraction method for coconut oil.

Good day Cannacap4U2. Seems my celebration of the New Year blinded me to your enquiries. Lol! Sorry, let’s see what we can help you with. :hug:

At 10 grams of bud to ~4 oz of carrier oil your recipe is more potent than my own 1:1 a gram of bud for every ounce of oil. I agree, they should have been more potent.

Were the buds decarbed before you added them to the oil? .....yes, I see they were. May I ask, what formula are you using for decarb? Curious..... any time in decarb should have added to the potency if you cooked it all night.

I’ve experienced that the fats used in whatever chocolate concoction we infused with cannabis seem to be more potent with chocolate than in capsule form. I’m not sure why this is, but it’s been a consistent experience, and explains my choice of brownies (no straining the plant material out, so 100% extraction rate Lol!) and chocolates. The honey fudge chocolates hit me much faster and deeper than the oil on its own. Brownies carry the euphoria further than capsules.

A mystery of absorption to explore. :battingeyelashes:

The easiest method we’ve found so far uses an Instant Pot pressure cooker. Other than that, I’m hot on the trail for a good picture tutorial for making oil in a crock pot, so something’ll pop up soon.

Are you using liquid sunflower lecithin? Most here use 1 tablespoon to a cup of infused oil. Whatever’s going on with your potency lecithin will make it more bioavailable, which essentially makes it more potent.

Thanks SS seems we are posting on two different threads.
I ground by hand then put on a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper.
Decarbed in the oven at 250 for 30 min (was following some graphics on time and temp) you may have seen them.
I also forgot my sunflower lecithin (powder) this time.
I also tested my "Little Dipper" for temp and it only has a single setting (was only 175°f)

We can combine these two threads if you want although I don't know how.

Cannacaps4U2, I’m going to suggest something different. In my readings I come across a lot of what’s been tried, and one of the most interesting are accounts of people who inadvertently or deliberately left their oil infusing in crock pot slow cookers for up to a week, with occasional agitation in many cases, and ended up with much more potent oil than they expected.

Testing an oil without appropriate meters is guesswork with too many variables. How far prior to dosing did you eat? What did you have to eat for that meal? How much fat is in circulation? How active were you? What time of the day was it?

All these things and more can effect your absorption rate, which effects your euphoric experience.

Are you dosing for recreation, medical need, or both? I’m certain we can find some way to help you get results you’re happier with.

Thanks SS seems we are posting on two different threads.
I ground by hand then put on a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper.
Decarbed in the oven at 250 for 30 min (was following some graphics on time and temp) you may have seen them.
I also forgot my sunflower lecithin (powder) this time.
I also tested my "Little Dipper" for temp and it only has a single setting (was only 175°f)

We can combine these two threads if you want although I don't know how.

It doesn’t matter that it got scattered in the beginning Cannacaps. We’re on the same page now. :battingeyelashes:

Decarb is a function of time and temperature. It’s all trial and error for most of us to dial in systems that work in our individual settings. It makes our work here more fun. Lol!

It occurs to me that you may simply need more cooking time and lecithin.

InTheShed linked me to this post of his oven method. We realize it’s a different method, but it’s easy and we thought it might come in handy.

InTheShed:

I'm using a modified OldBear system here. He doesn't decarb first and only leaves it in the oven for an hour or so (at 240ºF to do decarb and infusion at the same time). That seems too short to me considering the MB2e goes 4 hours and some go 8 hours. Here's my process so far:
16 grams decarbed and crumbled 420 Blueberry auto, calculated at 10% TCH to err on the conservative side:

I started with 4 ounces of extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) but that wasn't enough to cover the buds, so I went with 8 ounces.

Got it all covered and stirred:

I put foil to cover it and put a tiny slit in the foil to keep the pressure even:

Set the oven for 200º F (bumped it to 210º after about 3 hours):

It's been in the oven about 7 hours now:

Around midnight I'll take it out to cool, strain it, stir in 1 tsp of liquid sunflower lecithin, and put it into the fridge overnight. If you're wondering why I didn't use the MB2e machine, it's because you have to use at least 2 cups of oil in that. Tomorrow I'll deal with the CBD side of the equation. More to come then!

Have a good night all!

Sue thanks for meeting me here
This will be a bit long as you should have some history.

My wife and I have been medicating for over a year.
I suffer from "Restless Legs" and migraine.
My wife uses for insomnia.
We have tried tincture and cannabutter (made some spice cake)
I purchased 1/2 lb of GG#4 trim from a grower.
That lasted about 10 months.
For the last 3 months we have purchased from a dispensary 3 different strains 10g each time.
We don't smoke or vape
We have found that taking capsules 1 hr before bed works for both of us.

I do understand that food can effect the potentcy
Last night I had plate of spaghetti and followed with one of the chocolates ( made with coconut oil, a bit of sugar and a splash of vanilla, through in some ground coconut, and tell left over pulp)

Hope this gives you an idea of what we are doing and looking for

Back
Top Bottom