Code Name Kingston: Bringing Back A Special Auto Strain

cbdhemp808

Spinning up a new Journal here to cover my attempt to bring a friend's special auto strain back from the brink of extinction. It took him 7 years to develop it in Cali. I'll be cracking the seeds this weekend – have no idea if any will sprout, so this might be a real quick journal!

If all goes well, I'll grow some out and isolate a male for pollen collection, and then attempt to produce some seed.

This strain was very popular for medical patients, but its cannabinoid profile has never been tested. So, the big goal here is to have the buds tested. That and to produce more seed.

It's reportedly a very hardy, vigorous auto with a giant, dense central cola and off-shoot colas on the 4 symmetrical branches.

Wish me luck!

20 beans into the soak water!

3 sinkers and 17 floaters.

update: after ~3 hrs. all have sunk except 4.

20beans.jpg

Onto wet paper towel in a glass tupperware w/ lid, and into a dark cupboard...

4-thick paper towel folded over... 2 sheets over 2 sheets
beans_on_paper0.jpg

beans_on_paper1.jpg

ps> all the floaters became sinkers

((( 🌱 )))

Looks pro from here. I hope it works out!
How old are the seeds?
And how were they stored?

I have a sinking feeling that none of them are going to sprout – I hope I'm wrong. 4 would be great. I hope there's at least 2. fingers crossed.

Checked this morning after 24 hrs... no sprouts yet. My friend says it could take 72 hrs. The seed is 6 years old! If these beans don't pop, it sounds like we can possibly get some others.

Six years in a mylar bag in a fridge Veggie drawer with near'constant temperatures, and you should still get some action.
Six years WITHOUT a mylar bag in fridge, with fluctuations in light and humidity, not so sure.
Six years in a drawer NOT in a fridge???
(Oy....)

Is an organic seed starter (like Papa Zeep's) a possibility??

I have no idea how they were stored. I'm hoping we can get some fresher seed of this strain.

48 hrs and nothing.

I am a relative newbie and don't know much.
Only, when I read up on storing seed before, they said if you keep it sealed and keep it cold (not a lot of fluctuating temps) you could get 5+ years with a decent germination rate (I forget, but enough).
They said if you keep it at room temp, or if you keep it in a part of the fridge that gets a lot of light and temperature fluctuation, it is as low as 16 months.

I never used it but they make some organic seed starter compounds (like Dr. Zeep's).
I have no idea if the sponsors might have something better or more effective (no clue).
I hope you get some good sprouts!

Thanks. I'm gonna wait until tomorrow morning (72hrs), and then yes, will try scuffing them a bit on sandpaper, and re-soak.

I am not sure, but I think they said that is primarily what seed starter formulas do, is they soften the outer shell.
I think they also mentioned that if you do not have many seeds, you can gently file (or sandpaper) a hole in the outer shell, and then soak.

No sprouts. 9 seeds left, scuffed them using sandpaper last night... they are re-soaking. I will be amazed if anything happens.

Well these seeds are complete duds. Will ask my friend if he can get some more.

My friend has about 40 more seeds... gonna pick them up probably today. If those are duds, he's gonna see about getting some fresher ones from his friends in Cali.

SOoooo... it ain't over yet!

Never happened :(. Signing off on this one.

Back
Top Bottom