Trying to make Colloidal silver:
this is what am working with so far.
:9v battery
:9v battery connector
:iron clips
:2 Quarters
:Tap water

everything is in place, have them all properly connected and

I left it over night but no silver ions as of yet, it's been 13 hours.

What am I doing wrong? or did I leave something out?

Quarters are 75% copper 25% nickel, there is no silver in them .... unless ... the quarter is from before 1965, or part of a collectors set they started churning out in the 90s.

Either way, the value of pre 1965 and 1990s collector silver quarters is FAR greater then the value of the colloidal silver your trying to produce when you look at the price of .... already made colloidal silver.

Lol, yeah. When the US was still minting with silver, the melt-price was a fraction of face value. Now, melt-price is many times face.

Silver is currently $40.05/oz.

I'll give you a buck for every silver quarter you'll bring me (just kidding).

'32-'64 Washington quarters are worth about $7.20 or so if they're just common dates with nothing special.

yes there 2 silver quarters so I was told... I have a sterling spoon which is 50/50 silver am going to try my luck with that.

I have a sterling spoon which is 50/50 silver am going to try my luck with that.

If it's sterling it's 92.5% silver.

Since SS fllatware was pretty much a luxury item even in its heyday and silver plate was much more common, you might want to check. Since it was a luxury, much of it is marked as such. You might find 925 or something else stamped on the underside of the handle.

Never tried to make it, you can buy it from some health food stores though.

Are your quarters actually silver quarters? They haven't used real silver in coins since 1964.

Health Food stores? does it come prepared or does it come as an additive of some sort? if so what's the name of the brand?

Thanks

Too many brands to name. Just do Google search on colloidal silver and you'll find several names. They range in strength form 10ppm to 30 or more. Not sure how much you need to use though.

Also, I've seen other posts where people use a silver wire to create their own.

My grandmother used to drink it as a "cure-all" she was a big proponent of alternative health care. Although it has no proven health benefits and can cause your skin to turn blue (permanently) if you drink too much.

Too many brands to name. Just do Google search on colloidal silver and you'll find several names. They range in strength form 10ppm to 30 or more. Not sure how much you need to use though.

My grandmother used to drink it as a "cure-all" she was a big proponent of alternative health care. Although it has no proven health benefits and can cause your skin to turn blue (permanently) if you drink too much.

Thank you!

going to try the silver wire..

I just read that earlier - now it doesn't sound like using a little silver to make your own is that out of line cost-wise after all.

But I still wouldn't use anything other than .999 fine (.9999 would, of course, be even better but is somewhat harder to find in many locations) silver. No coins unless you're talking about sacrificing something like an American Silver Eagle (.999 silver .001 copper) for it - and since those come in uncirculated or proof, lol, I wouldn't recommend using them.

Silver wire if pure. Or go to a coin shop or coin dealer at a flea market and pick up a silver bar. I know you can get them in 1 troy ounce (31.1 gram) size. With silver worth $40.92/oz at present perhaps you can find it in ¼-oz. size, IDK.

The main thing is the purity so that what you create in solution is pure. You could use the silver for the positive side only and stainless steel for the negative, because the silver (et cetera) ions will always travel from the positive to the negative (with some remaining in solution) when doing something like this. Of course you'd basically be building a silver-clad stainless steel electrode, lol.

The stainless steel is reasonably non-reactive. If using silver and stainless steel, make sure that ONLY those two things are in the water (if using silver for both, make sure that ONLY the silver is in the water).

Make sure that you use distilled water. The process will be a LOT slower than if you added something to the H2O or used non-distilled, but your result would also be a lot less pure.

Use a glass or plastic container (not metal).

I used to think there might be enough to the CS health claims to try it. But then I learned that over time, the silver buildup from colloidal silver can result in an accumulation of silver or silver sulfide particles in the hair, skin, kidneys, liver, heart and muscles. According to Wiki (yeah, I know :rolleyes) and other sources, serious neurologic (such as seizures), renal, or hepatic complications, as well as headaches, stomach distress, fatigue, and skin irritation have been reported.

That blue-gray skin coloration you mentioned is called argyria and it to is caused by cumulative buildup from consuming low levels of CS over time (in addition to drinking too much at one time). It's no longer considered permanent - laser therapy has given good results (but that's awfully expensive).

At least only one person has died from drinking CS. But still... I've decided that the potential risks and proven issues with consumption outweigh the possible benefits. YMMV, of course.

We did experiments in HS chemistry and I seem to remember that the higher the voltage the faster the process. IOW, 12v is better than 6v. DC is used, not AC. And I do not remember the affects of raising the amperage... Don't know if, for example, using a 12v automobile battery charger instead of a 12v transformer for a game or the like would be faster (or if dialing up the amperage on the automotive battery charger would be useful). It might help. It might just encourage faster evaporation(?). Speaking of which, keep an occasional eye on the water level.

Some or all of the above might already have been mentioned. If so, apologies for the repeat.

HI guys.

I have read on a lot of places today that the coloidal silver can be used for changing the sex of the plants.
This all seems to be very interesting, but I have one big question here:

1. Lets assume we change the sex of our females. We make them to produce male pollens. And we fertilate them with pollesns.
OK, the question is: after tuning female into male will not we loose all of our harvest?? And will be these plants be able to produce buds which to smoke later?
Because all we know that male plants do not worth and do not produce enough big buds. Or they will become hermaphrodites, not males and will produce good harvest again? Anyone who has tried that, lets say if the harvest is gone and if the females that are turned into males can be used, please!

I have also another question here.. Actually I got onto that in google, because today I bought some colidal silver to treat my mold. I know it is the most efficient fungicid against molds. I would like to ask you if anyone has tried it and with what effect. Also, please, suggest any other antimolds, please.

Thank you very much in advance!!!

Trying to make Colloidal silver:
this is what am working with so far.
:9v battery
:9v battery connector
:iron clips
:2 Quarters
:Tap water

everything is in place, have them all properly connected and

I left it over night but no silver ions as of yet, it's been 13 hours.

What am I doing wrong? or did I leave something out?

I'm going to try this method with a grow I just got started. One of the best info sites listed this as things to avoid when making your own...

Avoid most problems when making colloidal silver by:

• using pure (distilled) water (it has specific "ion" content)
  • using pure (999/.9999) silver
  • giving electrolysis enough time to work so you don't get a weak solution (at least overnight)
  • making sure the solution has as little contact with light as possible until you use it

The article said this about using colloidal silver to produce fem seeds:
Use Colloidal Silver Spray to Make Feminized Cannabis Seeds Like the Seed Banks Do

Pros:

• You're able to produce feminized seeds using any two female cannabis plants (even clone-only strains!)
  • You can produce seeds consistently
  • You can control how many seeds produced
  • Easy to make hundreds of feminized seeds if needed
Cons:

• You will need to find a source of colloidal silver which well be used to spray the cannabis plants as they start flowering. Your main options are: buying colloidal silver directly (amazon - easy, already mixed at proper ppm), buying colloidal silver generator, or making your own simple colloidal silver generator yourself (as you are doing).
  • It is not safe to directly use/consume any cannabis which has come into contact with colloidal silver, though any seeds produced by a treated plant's pollen are 100% safe. Some space-starved pot farmers will use the colloidal silver to spray just the bottom branch of a cannabis plant so they can still smoke/use the rest of the cannabis buds. You can definitely do this, just be extremely careful not to get any colloidal silver spray on any part of the cannabis that you will be consuming.

When a female cannabis plant is treated with a solution of tiny silver particles suspended in distilled water, the plant will start to exhibit male characteristics. This solution of silver in water is called colloidal silver and can be purchased from a pharmacy/online or easily made at home. Some people drink colloidal silver for its health benefits and others use it occasionally on plants to help control bacteria, insect, and fungus growth on the leaves.

However, if you thoroughly mist a female cannabis plant with colloidal silver every day for 10-14 days around the same time that she enters the flowering stage, the concentration of silver ions in the water actually act as an ethylene inhibitor/antagonist on the plant, which forces the plant to create male pollen sacs instead of female buds. The safest way to ensure that your plants will actually turn into males is to keep misting the plants until you see the beginning of male pollen sacs forming. If growing indoors, you start misting the cannabis with colloidal silver when you first change the lights to 12-12, and keep misting her daily until the treated parts start showing male pollen sacs.

You need to let the sacs swell like a big empty balloon. You will be able to tell when they are about to open because the leaf section protecting the pollen starts to crack. At this point, simply take the pollen sacs off and place them in a cool dry place for a week and let them start to dry. The pollen will come out if you shake them about a little, or you can also cut open the sacs to get to the pollen inside. Use this pollen to pollinate female plants and you will get all-female seeds that are a mix of both their mothers.

This method is great because it will force almost any cannabis plant to show male characteristics. Unlike the rodelization method described below, you are not selecting for plants that show hermaphrodite traits. The genes of the plant are completely unaffected. This method will also produce a lot of pollen consistently compared to the rodelization method.

The one downside to this method is that it is not safe to use any cannabis that has come into direct contact with colloidal silver. You should therefore destroy the plant after the pollen has been collected. You will also want to ensure that you clean off any remaining traces of silver off your equipment in case you accidentally contaminate another cannabis plant with silver.

Here are the main things to keep in mind when using colloidal silver spray method:

• Make sure you spray the cannabis with a strong enough colloidal silver solution (at least 30 PPM of silver)
  • Spray the cannabis thoroughly to almost drench all the parts you want to turn into pollen sacs
  • Spray the cannabis regularly, at least once a day for 10-14 days, starting when you change the lights to 12-12
  • Spray the cannabis with colloidal silver every day until you see signs of male pollen sacs forming. Some hardy strains may need over 2-3 weeks spraying before they 'turn'.

As for using other "natural" methods to create fem seeds, the article also offers this info...How to Make Feminized Cannabis Seeds Using Rodelization

Pros:

• All-Natural
  • Very Simple
Cons:

• Unreliable
  • May not produce many feminized seeds
The Rodelization method is all-natural and is the simplest method to create feminized seeds, but it is also unreliable and may not produce much pollen. Basically, the premise is that some female marijuana plants will start growing male pollen sacs / sex organs if they've been left in flowering too long (past the peak point of harvest). This is a last-ditch attempt by the marijuana plant to pollinate itself so that it at least produces a few seeds.

You can collect these male pods and use the pollen inside them to pollinate other female plants. You pollinate female plants by evenly covering their buds with the pollen after they've been in flowering for 2-3 weeks. Females that are pollinated in this way will start growing all-female marijuana seeds. If you're very careful, you can pollinate only some of the buds on a plant which will produce seeds, and leave other buds alone so they can still be used for consumption.

This issue with this method is that some strains of plants never seem to grow male characteristics naturally. Additionally, with this method, you're selecting for plants that have a natural genetic tendency to show male characteristics. This can possibly produce offspring that are more likely to show male characteristics themselves which may or may not be what you're going for. Lastly, even when you do get male pollen sacs from a marijuana plant in this way, there tends to be a lot less pollen than from a typical male plant.

The one great thing about this method is it's completely all-natural so you can implement this strategy with an organic grow.

************​
I found the above info very useful. Hope others do too.

HI guys.

I have read on a lot of places today that the coloidal silver can be used for changing the sex of the plants.
This all seems to be very interesting, but I have one big question here:

1. Lets assume we change the sex of our females. We make them to produce male pollens. And we fertilate them with pollesns.
OK, the question is: after tuning female into male will not we loose all of our harvest?? And will be these plants be able to produce buds which to smoke later?
Because all we know that male plants do not worth and do not produce enough big buds. Or they will become hermaphrodites, not males and will produce good harvest again? Anyone who has tried that, lets say if the harvest is gone and if the females that are turned into males can be used, please!

I have also another question here.. Actually I got onto that in google, because today I bought some colidal silver to treat my mold. I know it is the most efficient fungicid against molds. I would like to ask you if anyone has tried it and with what effect. Also, please, suggest any other antimolds, please.

Thank you very much in advance!!!

I had mold on the top of my soil from overwatering. I researched and then sprinkled ground cinnamon to stop the mold (and quit overwatering!). It worked and is natural.

As for ruining your entire crop if using colloidal silver - If you spray the entire plant, yes, you would lose that plant. It would be used only to collect pollen from.

However, if very very very carefully done, you can treat one or two BOTTOM branches (guard carefully and do NOT get spray anywhere else on the plant or on it's soil - need to later destroy any part exposed to colloidal spray). This way, those branches will turn male, leaving the remainder of the plant intact.

Next tricky part is to collect the pollen without pollinating any females present. The article I listed in a different response gave one method of collecting pollen, but there are other methods and helpful tips listed in the forums. Also you can find a ton of helpful info about how to pollinate just one or two branches of a female plant, thus giving you seeds from one or two branches and the rest unseeded.

Theoretically if done right... you use the same female plant to create pollen (a couple bottom branches), collect the pollen and then pollinate one or two higher branches ONLY on that same plant, it should also leave you numerous branches of untreated and unseeded buds. I believe this is called "selfing" and it's what I'm interested in. The seeds are similar to clones of that female plant - they have only her genes.

I don't have room or time for keeping mothers and clones going (and it is awful costly to buy fem seeds) - so I am going to try this. I ordered colloidal spray via amazon, started clones from some very nice strains I'm growing outside... and now just need to figure out (research) how to make it happen. :)

So I'm off to do some more research on this very subject so I am prepared when it is time. Hope you have great success on your seed attempts!!! Good luck!

Here is what another grower says on this subject with a few of my own thoughts/research interwoven...

Feminized seeds produced with pollen from stress induced hermies will generally result in hermie plants from the seeds. If the plant is difficult to turn hermie through stress it is a very good plant to produce pollen and/or seeds from.

Using Colloidal Silver on a plant has nothing to do with stressing the plant. What happens (in terms that I can just about understand) is that the silver molecules bind themselves to copper molecules in the bud sites of the plant. Copper is used for ethelyne production by the plant which is used for bud production in female plants.

By binding up the copper molecules and making them unavailable, the Colloidal Silver suppresses the ethelyne production and effectively tricks the plant into thinking it is male. Again, it has nothing to do with stress, and if the plant didn't have a genetic inclination towards being a hermie, then the seeds will not have the hermie trait either.

Being able to treat a portion of a plant without the rest of the plant being affected is a further indication that the plant is not being stressed - if it was being stressed then the pollen production wouldn't be restricted to the treated area only.

To use Colloidal Silver you simply spray the selected plant (or bud or branch of a plant) with colloidal silver before putting it under 12/12 lighting [at the time of the light change, before the plant shows sex]. Repeat the application [daily] until male flowers appear. AVOID ANY CONTACT WITH ANY OTHER PORTION OF THE PLANT - ALL PLANT PARTS EXPOSED WILL HAVE TO BE DESTROYED - NOT SAFE TO CONSUME.

The fact that you can treat a single bud or branch on a plant and ONLY that area will produce male flowers allows you to harvest pollen and keep flowering the parent plant as a female. Simply remove the affected branch as the male flowers are reaching maturity (but before opening) and stick it in a flower vase (remove from female area) while the pollen sacs ripen.

When male flowers begin to open, gently tap the branch over a container, glass, or mirror to release/collect pollen (is yellowish color). Dry in cool, dark, dry place for 1 or 2 days.

To Store: Place in a sealed container, add dry white rice to absorb any moisture, add equal amount flour/pollen if you want to dilute to make it go farther. Refrigerate or freeze (sources vary on recommendations). Light, heat, and moisture destroy pollen so keep out of light and away from heat or moisture to store.

To create seeds, you can just pollinate one branch or bud (LABEL B4 Pollinate!) on a female, depending upon how many seeds you want to produce. Seeds need 3 to 5 weeks to finish (be viable), depending upon the strain of the plant, so you need to pollinate at the appropriate time. Most sources say not to pollinate lower buds or branches because they may not finish. Most sources also say not to pollinate small buds (too early) because you won't get many seeds (the bud immediately stops flowering to produce seed).

And of course, you need to be careful and take measures to pollinate only what you want to pollinate - and not the whole crop. For this, do your research. Some bag, some use a brush to tap pollen onto the bud... all shut off fans, etc.

That's if for [others] advise... I'm going to stay tuned to this thread and after putting the advise to use in my own grow, I'll report back on if I had any success (or if I ended up with a room full of mixed fem seeds from the 8 strains I'm experimenting with!

I had mold on the top of my soil from overwatering. I researched and then sprinkled ground cinnamon to stop the mold (and quit overwatering!). It worked and is natural.

Thanks for the mold tip. Never tried cinnamon.

I don't have room or time for keeping mothers and clones going

If you're just wanting to keep a plant alive while your GR is being used, you can stick a cutting in a foam drinking cup and sit it near a small CFL that's on all the time. It won't grow appreciably in size, but it's pretty much no-maintenance and takes up very little space/electricity. (Have to pot it up, increase the light, and feed it when it's close to the time you want to start pulling cuttings off of it, though.)

does anyone know if in making your own colloidal silver is it possible to get the solution higher than 30 ppm?
i have been using .999 bullion silver and 12 volt dc power supply, i have been running it for a couple days , 24 hrs ago i hit 30 ppm and seems it will not go any higher. all the instructions say at least 30 ppm so i was trying to get solution to maybe 35 or 40 ppm, and appears it wont go higher than 30 ppm
thanks in adance
Wink

yes there 2 silver quarters so I was told... I have a sterling spoon which is 50/50 silver am going to try my luck with that.

I've been doing some "homework" look for granny's BEST SILVER...this is the best you can get.. .*.925 (which is ring standard) is not .999 so it wouldn't work too well you need 10 ppm to be effective..it will be AMBER in color..the LIGHTER you go, the less ppm you will have..*average this on 45 min of perking..

over an hour will give you closer to 25ppm or more according to the "amber" scale...I hope this helps..i am new to this, and will be making my own due to the cost being so freaking high for this..also, i want my buds not having any fungus/virus *when i start to grow them in A LEGAL STATE..js..lol :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom