Colombian Gold Grow: Come Learn With Me How To Produce Your Own Seeds!

Excellent point. I know I did a lot of reading when I first started and was very grateful to have had all these threads and forums and journals from which to gain knowledge.

I keep saying that i never found such a lovely and helpfull platform. never knew you could gain a online family of thousands of growers either... #nevergoback. How awesome will it be if in a year or two someone ask you about cloning and you see these reply's:circle-of-love:

So it looks like you guys are going to make me work putting this journal together :nomo:

Everything posted so far has already happened and more has happened including having taken cuttings off the two Colombian Gold plants. So I might as well jump ahead some and then get to work. Here is a photo of the cloning/seedling box I built last fall. It has come in really handy. It has no door or flap or anything on the front. You just don't need it. Lighting is always at 18 on and 6 off.

Here is a photo of the Colombian Gold (aka CG in the future) cuttings at day two under their domes. I have already begun removing the domes for short periods. I probably have an advantage over many of you because I am retired and this is my hobby. To that end I am here and can work with my plants when I like. So far, at the time of this photo they are fine out of their domes for 40 minutes at a time. Very soon they domes will be put up till next time I take cuttings.

This photo shows the clones at day 5 after being harvested from the parent plants. I call them clones because they no longer need their domes and are not being sprayed. So they may not be much but they definitely have roots enough to sustain the plants.

And finally pictures of the parent plants taken the day the domes came off for good. First picture is the larger, bushier plant. Second the more sparse, smaller plant.

SO, now that the cat has been let out of the bag here is what's coming next. Last night I took two cuttings off CG plant #1 because it's the one that shows the most promise of being a female. Tomorrow, Monday, I will get them trimmed and planted into solo cups in ProMix BX. I've filled the cups and have soaked the medium with a mix of Clonex Solution and water. Excess will drain off tonight and we'll be ready to go tomorrow. Here are the two cuttings I harvested last night. I have them in just a cup of water and they'll be fine till tomorrow. I will go step by step through my process for taking cuttings. I want to stress at this point that I have extremely good luck taking clones and firmly believe that if you follow the directions exactly you too will have extremely good results. I use ProMix BX in the cups. If you use something else your results could vary. I use Clonex Solution mixed with water. If you use something other then Clonex Solution, your results may vary. I hope this is taken the way I mean it. Not saying do it my way or it won't work. Just saying after a lot of experimenting the ProMix BX and Clonex work best for me. If I was asked to give up one of those two I would give up the ProMix BX and use a seed plating soil from Wal-Mart or most big box stores. It just has to be bland, no chemicals. You can add a little mycos to the Clonex Solution mix.

Do you find that works better than the HP?

Also would you recommend clones going into the promix as opposed to a jiffy pellet ?
I could be wrong, but I believe the only difference between the ProMix BX and the ProMix HP is the amount of perlite. The HP has more perlite then the BX which means it will have more aeration and dry up a little quicker. It was a no brainer for me as the farm store down the road had a pallet of the BX and it was not selling. I know the guy fairly well and told him I would give him $100 for 10 bags and he accepted. So I use ProMix BX and it's worked very well for me. Both would do the job equally as well. Oh, and I add a little perlite to my BX.

I tried the Jiffy pellets and I guess if I were taking 20 or 30 cuttings at a time and needed to conserve space they would be considered. I kind of like the look of the Rapid Rooters though over the Jiffy Pellets. I had moderate success with the Jiffy pellets and switched to the ProMix BX and glad I did.

I could be wrong, but I believe the only difference between the ProMix BX and the ProMix HP is the amount of perlite. The HP has more perlite then the BX which means it will have more aeration and dry up a little quicker. It was a no brainer for me as the farm store down the road had a pallet of the BX and it was not selling. I know the guy fairly well and told him I would give him $100 for 10 bags and he accepted. So I use ProMix BX and it's worked very well for me. Both would do the job equally as well. Oh, and I add a little perlite to my BX.

I tried the Jiffy pellets and I guess if I were taking 20 or 30 cuttings at a time and needed to conserve space they would be considered. I kind of like the look of the Rapid Rooters though over the Jiffy Pellets. I had moderate success with the Jiffy pellets and switched to the ProMix BX and glad I did.

Interesting ! If I can’t get any of these clones rooted I’ll try again with a cup of Promix presoaked 24hrs earlier ! Thanks beez!

I've never given the Rapid Rooters a try but have seen several people on 420 having good success with them. I graduated from the Jiffy pucks to solo cups with ProMix BX. I'm pretty sure. I did a little checking last night and found a product that should work very well for doing the cuttings in solo cups. It's made by Jiffy and called Jiffy 12 Qt. Organic Seed Starting Mix. As it says it's organic, has no chemicals in it, but I'm not sure if it has perlite in it for aeration and drainage. It should be available at Wal-Mart, Lowes, Home Depot etc

I've never given the Rapid Rooters a try but have seen several people on 420 having good success with them. I graduated from the Jiffy pucks to solo cups with ProMix BX. I'm pretty sure. I did a little checking last night and found a product that should work very well for doing the cuttings in solo cups. It's made by Jiffy and called Jiffy 12 Qt. Organic Seed Starting Mix. As it says it's organic, has no chemicals in it, but I'm not sure if it has perlite in it for aeration and drainage. It should be available at Wal-Mart, Lowes, Home Depot etc
I use that Jiffy mix in a solo cup with about 10% perlite added for all of my seedlings. It works great and holds it's form well during transplant. Good stuff!
:thumb:

Yes Preston, that's how I would go if I didn't want to buy a big bag of the ProMix. And you're 100% right, you do have to add perlite to it.
I love it. I've used a small bag for about 6 months now. It is only used to fill little 12oz cups. I've gotten a good 2 dozen out of it.
Might finally finish this bag off with these last 2 seeds I have germinating.

...... I'll definitely be buying another! :thumb:

I have no clue what medium you grow your plants in but if ProMix is available in your area consider giving it a try. I use the BX, many use the HP because it's more common in stores and shops. I don't know the cost of this in the "real world" but in my little Podunk town it's pretty inexpensive.

Back
Top Bottom