Colombian Gold Grow: Come Learn With Me How To Produce Your Own Seeds!

Welcome All!

Genesis 1:29

Then God said, "I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it.

Chinese proverb:

“If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day—if you teach him to fish, you feed him for a lifetime.”

And Here We Go!
The purpose of this journal is to share knowledge, ideas, and techniques that will give anyone who wants it the ability to grow their own cannabis seeds. I will be sharing how I do it and encourage other experienced seed breeders to chime in with anything I've missed. This "tutorial" is not for advanced DNA studies, pheno hunting, stabilizing strains etc. This is to teach a man, or woman, down to a single seed or two how to take those seeds and produce more seeds for them self thus making him independent of the overpriced seed banks out there. So let's get started.

Strain Grown: Colombian Gold Regular seeds (2)
Medium: Hempy = 100% Perlite
Nutrients: Mine is Not a sponsor.....Use what works for you

I started this project back on 8/30/2018 by placing the seeds into hempy solo cups. For those of you who have never germinated seeds in, or grown plants in hempy you owe it to yourself to give it a try. To get started I took two red solo cups and melted a hole 2 inches up from the bottoms. I always use a 1/2" hole but in this case I have one 1/2" and one slightly larger hole. Once the holes are in you prepare your perlite by washing it well to get rid of as much of the dust as you can. Once it's cleaned fill your solo cups with the perlite almost to the top. Now, put a piece of duct tape over the holes. Mix up some of your nutrients at 1/4 strength and PH balance it to 5.5 Slowly pour it into the hempy cup until the perlite starts to float and rise up. I let it sit like this for a couple hours. Sometimes I do it the day before I drop the seeds. So now you're at this point. Please disregard the @SeedsMan Blueberry fem clone doing the photo bombing.

I've dropped 1 seed into each solo cup approximately 1/4" below the surface and lightly packed the perlite on top. I do not soak the seeds prior to planting them in the perlite. I do recommend scarifying your seeds before planting them. Seeds often have a buildup of resin which prevents water from getting in and/or prevents the shell from opening fully. I use a plastic cigar tube with white playground sand as my scarifying tool. Put the seeds in and shake it like crazy for a few minutes. There are tons of different methods to do this same task. Most of them work just fine and doing this will increase your germination success. It generally takes 3-4 days for the plant to sprout. The clear plastic cup domes are to keep in moisture. The perlite wicks up the water from the reservoir (area below the holes) and pulls it all the way to the top. I've never had to add any water/nutrients during germination.

So now it's 4 days later. Both plants sprouted on day 3 in the morning and spent the next 24 hours under their domes. Today at day 4 the domes come off and the plants are placed about 8 inches below the lights. I use four 20w CFL bulbs for my seedlings and clones. It's all they need. Please note in this photo that the plant on the left is bowing/sagging a bit.

It did not like being so close to the light. Seedlings are sensitive and have to be watched like a child or mischievous puppy. So I lowered the sensitive plant and kept the other where it was. By the next day everyone was happy again.

I grow the seedlings in these hempy solo cups for a total of 4 days. Day one under the dome, and then three days up close to the CFL bulbs. At that point I transplant them into (in this case) their final homes. These are office trash cans purchased at the Dollar Tree store. They are 1.3 gallons in size. Here they are transplanted into their new homes.

At this point I bring in a tiny muffin fan to create a breeze just strong enough to make these guys dance a bit. This strengthens the stalk a great deal. Each day I will pour about (doesn't have to be perfect) 10 ML of 1/4 strength nutrients right along the stalk where it comes out of the perlite. I keep the duct tape on the pots at this stage. Just keep them warm, fed, with a little breeze and watch them grow.

Fortunately for you guys I am one of those people who skips ahead in journals going past the baby pictures and get to the good stuff. So with a wave of the magic wand of @SweetSue we're off to the next phase.

Now keep in mind at this point, because I am growing Regular seeds I do not know the sex of the two plants, thus am not sure which method of seed making will be utilized in this grow. Here they are at three days after transplant.

Skipping forward to approximately 7 days after transplant.

I am immediately noticing the difference in the shade of green of the two plants. The one plant is noticeably darker green then the other one.

This is where I'm stopping for today. I hope at least a few of you fine folks join me in this project.

WooHoo! First through the door. :yahoo:

Ready to learn. :nomo:

Well done on the link. :high-five:

My Goodness time has just flown by! Here are the two Colombian Gold plants the day prior their topping. Note that the two plants do have their differences. One is larger, with leaves that are more dense. The one I'm hoping turns out to be a girl. The other smaller with less leaves. Could the little one be a boy?

I was thinking earlier what if both of the plant are females? And that's actually not a problem, you'll just be making feminized seeds instead of regular seeds. But, to do this, and do it along with this thread and tutorial you'll want to be prepared. In the event both plants are girls I will be brushing a product called Colloidal Silver onto the nodes of a single branch on one of the plants. This is the CS that I personally use. I've tried a number of them and this has worked the best for me. AND it's WAY cheaper then the other products I've used.

This is a 16oz. bottle and cost me $20.00 if my memory serves me right. It is 50 ppm which is stronger then the "name brand" sprays I've used. Also find yourself a small (2-4 oz. cobalt blue or brown glass sprayer bottle) into which you'll pour an ounce at a time. Always keep the CS in a cool, dark place and only take out the bottle to add more to your small spray bottle. If both plants are girls we'll be employing this spray.

I found a couple of Kona gold males today! I kept and trimmed the biggest one and culled the other. I have him chillin under a small LED on my table. Is he safe there, should I keep him in a box?

Brothers
D3BB339D-7164-4227-9B1F-CE0F0BBB6E93.jpeg

Isn’t he handsome :battingeyelashes:
DE4DD032-852D-4A64-B2DB-BD6A90F5AEA4.jpeg

399D11E0-B214-4AB9-A5F5-5424B4BE60D4.jpeg

If you're keeping one of the males are you looking to collect pollen for a future project? Or are you wanting to pollinate a plant or plants you currently have growing? Either way the answer is still the same. Do you have another room you could stick him in where he'll get a little sunlight in a window? I use these inexpensive "full spectrum" 23 W bulbs I bought off of Wish.com for like $4.00 each. You just need one bulb around 20 watts to keep him happy. If you don't have one a square mirror is mighty handy for collecting pollen.

I like the idea of using those office style trash cans.
Their roots will have lotsa downward growth for excellent stability.
Great tip!
Thanks for stopping in. I appreciate it but cannot take credit for the trash cans. I learned about growing in hempy for @SweetSue and specifically about those trash cans from @FelipeBlu The only problem with that particular trash can is it's shape. Very small footprint. And I've had problems with the larger plants getting top heavy and pretty unstable. But for smaller plants they are perfect.

Thanks for stopping in. I appreciate it but cannot take credit for the trash cans. I learned about growing in hempy for @SweetSue and specifically about those trash cans from @FelipeBlu The only problem with that particular trash can is it's shape. Very small footprint. And I've had problems with the larger plants getting top heavy and pretty unstable. But for smaller plants they are perfect.
Yeah - I can see that a tall bushy plant may be able to cause instability in a container with a small footprint.. good point.

In this accelerated journal things will move pretty quickly until we catch up to actual time. Today is topping day. Both plants will be topped at the 6th node. And both plants will be topped once more when the four mains are large enough. Here is the first topping. This is on the thicker, bushier plant. Remember to ALWAYS use sharp scissors or a razor knife that has been well cleaned with alcohol to make these cuts.

Here is the topping of the second plant. The more sparse smaller plant.

At this point it's all about waiting for the plant to grow out. I will be taking two cuttings off of each plant in the near future. So stay tuned for the next update which will come quicker then you think!

Nice! Great teachings:)

If you're keeping one of the males are you looking to collect pollen for a future project? Or are you wanting to pollinate a plant or plants you currently have growing? Either way the answer is still the same. Do you have another room you could stick him in where he'll get a little sunlight in a window? I use these inexpensive "full spectrum" 23 W bulbs I bought off of Wish.com for like $4.00 each. You just need one bulb around 20 watts to keep him happy. If you don't have one a square mirror is mighty handy for collecting pollen.
I want to collect pollen, maybe paint a couple branches of his sis!
He’s had his body parts all chopped off and doesn’t skip a beat! #prayingking
5AA53709-0920-4C2C-8690-B0E608067B53.jpeg

For the 12/13 hours of dark, do you think I should put him in a box to have complete darkness or will the indirect light disruption bother him? Turns out I don’t know much about boys?

Thanks!

When I am breeding I segregate my male. I have a small table I put in a storage/junk room with the above mentioned light over him. I run the light 16 on and 8 off. The pollen sacks will continue to develop even if not in 12/12 lighting. You are looking for this to develop
I circled a pollen sack that is fully matured and opened. There are four pollen pods hanging down as you can see. Once the sacks start to open they will continue to do so for usually a couple weeks, sometimes more. I always collect the pollen in the morning. I spot the newly opened sacks, hold the hand mirror underneath the open pollen sacks and very lightly tap it with a pair of tweezers or something similar. Don't tap it so hard that you're causing pollen to fall from adjoining branches. Just a light tap will do the job. When finished collecting it I use a sterilized razor blade to scrape all the pollen together. I
have these tiny plastic containers with a screw on top that I use for storage. I put a bit of rice in to help keep the pollen dry. What you'll want to do is look at the breeders recommended flowering time of the strain you want to pollinate. Say it's 12 weeks..........I count backwards 6 weeks and in that case would pollinate the plant when it was 6 weeks into flowering. All seeds I've grown have matured (the majority) in around 5-6 weeks. So by pollinating the plant at week 6 your seeds should be ready to harvest around the same time your plant is ready to harvest.

Back
Top Bottom