Colombian Gold Landrace Grow from Gage Green Genetics by BunkerMonkey

BunkerMonkey

Currently-

1000W HPS (off to the side).
Soil (B'Cuzz Mixx - Peat & Perlite, etc).
Photoperiod 12:15 on/11:45 off simulating the current day/night around the latitude of Colombia.
Nutrients - Just what's in the B'Cuzz Mixx and Michigan well water at pH 6.9-7.1

The dispensary in Jackson, Michigan carries a nice assortment of seeds so when I discovered they had a pure sativa Colombian landrace from Gage Green Genetics I just had to snag it up and crack the beans at once.

https://gagegreen.org/colg.html

I'm 57 years old and I smoked the classic Colombian Gold back in The Goddamn Day and the only smoke that I ever sampled that was better was the Thai Stick. When Colombian Gold went for $40/oz in 1976 I was lucky enough to know someone who knew someone that was selling it. The really exceptionally good weed rarely made it as far as the rural farming community where I grew up and where I am once again occupying space after 33 years in south goddamn Floriduh.

Anyway...all I know so far about growing landrace equatorial sativas is what I've read on the Internet during the last 2-3 weeks and there isn't exactly a wealth of information. Almost every grower knows that sativas are notorious for their long flowering times, but I think having the Colombian Gold again is worth the wait. I'll either raise the CG in my perpetual flowering room along with the other 4-6 plants I SCROG out in there OR I might build or buy a tent and grow them in my bedroom with LEDs (that I have yet to purchase). There is something interesting thing about the equatorial climate - the hours of day and night only vary by about 30 minutes from summer to winter! From this I can infer one of two things - either equatorial sativas are autoflowering after they reach plant puberty AND/OR a difference in the photoperiod of as little as 15 minutes can trigger the females to begin flowering. Well, the Internet is full of wonders and it's not hard to find a site that has hours of day and night for Cali, Colombia and currently in the late spring daylight is just a little over 12:17 and will reach a maximum of 12:23 on the Summer Solstice so I set the timer on my flowering room to 12:15 and I may bump it to 12:30 for a couple of weeks around the time I want to "flip" them to 11:45 of lights to induce flowering since Winter Solstice in December has a daylight period of 11:51 .

I dunno...waddaya think, huh? This is a fist time for me growing an equatorial sativa and I may have bitten off more than I can chew since I haven't even finished my first indoor grow EVER (3-4 weeks to go).

BunkerMonkey's Soil Elephant Bud & Vanilla Kush Grow Journal 2014

So anyway again...here's a few crappy flip phone photos of the plants that germinated out of the pack of 12 that Gage Green sells. The White Widow will be another Grow Journal that I will start in a few days.

Seeds_0415140636.jpg

And here are the little darlings earlier tonight (3 weeks since I cracked the first 6 beans and 2 weeks since I cracked the remaining 6 beans). I originally was only going to crack 6 beans and grow them but I made the mistake of following General Hydroponic's instructions for using their Rapid Rooter starter plugs. General Hydroponics said to soak them in a weak 2-4-8 nutrient so I brewed up a gallon at 150ppm to their specifications.

It really fucked the first 6 seedlings up so bad I thought they would die so I dropped the remaining 6 seeds in WELL water just like we used to do back in the Day before we had all this fancy RO water and shit.

Dying!

4_colombians_gage_green_0427140129c_.jpg

Recovering?

colombian_gold_recovering_posterized_0501140402.jpg

Two weeks later -

Clombian_Embassy_0514140053.jpg

phenotype_A_0514140056.jpg

phenotype_B_0514140055a.jpg

:tokin:

Odds are I have a few males in the group and as soon as I see any node nut sacks I'm taking those amigos out back and isolating them in the bushes so I can harvest pollen for future breeding experiments. I really don't know what the hell I'm doing but the call of landrace sativa beckons and I have the facilities to give it a go so why not? I hope phenotype B are the females because they look like they might be squat, branchy, and bushy and if I crossed them with something that has a fast flowering time and it kept the sativa characteristics it would be highly groovy.
Another goal is to achieve that gold color of the old Colombian and Acapulco Golds. I recently read that the growers down there would cut the vascular cambium around the base of the stem the least wek or two so that the plat would lose all nutriants and thus turn golden in color. I also read that the Gold is gold is because of the way it's piled in heaps to dry. Some sort of a temperature/humidity thing I reckon, if it's the real reason for the golden buds.

¿Cualquier cultivadores de Colombia leyendo esto? ¡Ayuda!

cannabis_sativa.gif

Just a thought...I'm not so sure those are phenotype expressions. I remember somebody (probably HygroHybrid) saying that sometimes GH Rapid Start causes "mutations" when applied at too high a dose. I used GH Rapid Start on the first 6 seeds along with the 2-4-8 weak nutrient solution and it caused the first pair of real leaves to shrivel up so bad I thought the seedlings would die. I only used the recommended amount and probably less on the second batch of 6 seeds I cracked and they haven't shown that odd branching. I only used Michigan well water on the second batch of 6 seeds.

Hi Bunker Monkey,

Subbed up for the duration. Will be running a Landrace myself in a couple of months, will try my hand at a Panama. This should be fun to follow along on.

Best of Luck & Success!

:Namaste:

Currently-

1000W HPS (off to the side).
Soil (B'Cuzz Mixx - Peat & Perlite, etc).
Photoperiod 12:15 on/11:45 off simulating the current day/night around the latitude of Colombia.
Nutrients - Just what's in the B'Cuzz Mixx and Michigan well water at pH 6.9-7.1

The dispensary in Jackson, Michigan carries a nice assortment of seeds so when I discovered they had a pure sativa Colombian landrace from Gage Green Genetics I just had to snag it up and crack the beans at once.

https://gagegreen.org/colg.html

I'm 57 years old and I smoked the classic Colombian Gold back in The Goddamn Day and the only smoke that I ever sampled that was better was the Thai Stick. When Colombian Gold went for $40/oz in 1976 I was lucky enough to know someone who knew someone that was selling it. The really exceptionally good weed rarely made it as far as the rural farming community where I grew up and where I am once again occupying space after 33 years in south goddamn Floriduh.

Anyway...all I know so far about growing landrace equatorial sativas is what I've read on the Internet during the last 2-3 weeks and there isn't exactly a wealth of information. Almost every grower knows that sativas are notorious for their long flowering times, but I think having the Colombian Gold again is worth the wait. I'll either raise the CG in my perpetual flowering room along with the other 4-6 plants I SCROG out in there OR I might build or buy a tent and grow them in my bedroom with LEDs (that I have yet to purchase). There is something interesting thing about the equatorial climate - the hours of day and night only vary by about 30 minutes from summer to winter! From this I can infer one of two things - either equatorial sativas are autoflowering after they reach plant puberty AND/OR a difference in the photoperiod of as little as 15 minutes can trigger the females to begin flowering. Well, the Internet is full of wonders and it's not hard to find a site that has hours of day and night for Cali, Colombia and currently in the late spring daylight is just a little over 12:17 and will reach a maximum of 12:23 on the Summer Solstice so I set the timer on my flowering room to 12:15 and I may bump it to 12:30 for a couple of weeks around the time I want to "flip" them to 11:45 of lights to induce flowering since Winter Solstice in December has a daylight period of 11:51 .

I dunno...waddaya think, huh? This is a fist time for me growing an equatorial sativa and I may have bitten off more than I can chew since I haven't even finished my first indoor grow EVER (3-4 weeks to go).

BunkerMonkey's Soil Elephant Bud & Vanilla Kush Grow Journal 2014

So anyway again...here's a few crappy flip phone photos of the plants that germinated out of the pack of 12 that Gage Green sells. The White Widow will be another Grow Journal that I will start in a few days.

Seeds_0415140636.jpg

And here are the little darlings earlier tonight (3 weeks since I cracked the first 6 beans and 2 weeks since I cracked the remaining 6 beans). I originally was only going to crack 6 beans and grow them but I made the mistake of following General Hydroponic's instructions for using their Rapid Rooter starter plugs. General Hydroponics said to soak them in a weak 2-4-8 nutrient so I brewed up a gallon at 150ppm to their specifications.

It really fucked the first 6 seedlings up so bad I thought they would die so I dropped the remaining 6 seeds in WELL water just like we used to do back in the Day before we had all this fancy RO water and shit.

Dying!

4_colombians_gage_green_0427140129c_.jpg

Recovering?

colombian_gold_recovering_posterized_0501140402.jpg

Two weeks later -

Clombian_Embassy_0514140053.jpg

phenotype_A_0514140056.jpg

phenotype_B_0514140055a.jpg

:tokin:

I've heard of 3 true Columbian strains: Santa Marta Gold, Punta Roja, Limon Verde. Grew some Mekong High outside last yr. A Paradise Seed strain. Vietnamese landrace. Fun grow. Looking forward to following your Gold grow.

UPDATE: June 7th, 2014 -

It's been 50 days since I cracked those first six Colombian beans and 43 days since I cracked the second batch of six seeds (because I thought the first six were doomed). The plants are definitely showing full sativa traits and they would probably grow to be at least 15 feet tall but they are indoors so I began topping and FIMming to keep them under control.

Colombians_day_50_0606140050.jpg

As mentioned before, I am keeping the Colombians in the flowering room and simulating the day/night cycle of their homeland which varies between 11:50 and 12:25 of daylight. I had been running the HPS lights for 12:15 and today they will go to 12:30 per day.
The first male preflowers appeared on one plant already and I have isolated it away from all my other plants in flower. I will save the pollen and down the road I plan on crossing the Colombian genes with a plant or plants yet to be determined so as to produce seeds of my own hybrid variety.

Please excuse the photo quality as I have only a crappy old flip phone and a cheap 40X jewelers loop for magnification.

Colombian_male_1_060614018.jpg

The second male plant from the first group made it's nutsacks known. Both those boys are chillin' in da garage lest they knock the ladies up. I don't know what will happen now that they are exposed to 15-16 hours of daylight that's shining in through the garage windows. Will they stop flowering? It's not a lot of light but if I slapped my light meter on them I wouldn't be surprised if they were basically getting the same amount of light as under fluorescents. I'll check tomorrow.

I really don't know what to do with the bastards while I'm waiting to collect some pollen. Maybe I'll put them out back under the power line.

UPDATE - DAY 65:

These Colombians can get out of hand real quick even when FIMed!

Colombian_before_0618140315.jpg

Even right up in a 1000W HPS and after being topped they still stretch like hell.

colombian_0618140308.jpg

I don't know what to do with these Latinas yet so I've cloned them and put all but the original Alpha Female back into veg.

Colombian_Alpha_Female_clones_0621140135.jpg
Colombian_Gold_clones_0621140137.jpg

It's going to mean a lot of Supercropping to get these girls tamed and domesticated for indoor life.

I haven't decided yet whether to continue growing these in soil mixx or to go DWC with them. They will be a long term project, huh?

Seed rating:
Viability Rate: 8 out of 12 seeds.
Male/Female ratio was 50/50.

The males are out in the shed so they don't pollinate my other crop in the bloom room. I've collected a tiny amount of pollen for possible future use but I should get more so I will be taking them over to a friend's house and putting them in a spare closet with a CFL set to 11 hours of light. Obviously I need completely separate facilities if I plan to develop a Colombian Gold hybrid or just harvest Colombian Gold seeds. Gotta preserve the best of these pure genetics, huh?

UPDATE!
Sorry about the delay, but there wasn't a lot to report on until recently and I've been busier than a cat covering shit.

The clones took to DWC without any hesitation,

Colombian_Gold_alpha_female_3_weeks_after_cloning_07111404281.jpg

...but it was a couple of months before they went back into veg. I did a lot of topping and LST to get this bush from an equatorial sativa that would grow 15 feet tall if left to it's own.

colombian_gold_1013140146.jpg

Now I need to build a small separate bloom room for these clones and be prepared to flower them for 16 - 20 weeks.

Wow, man! Totally exciting to read your journal. :D I can't believe how their exploding upward so massively. Very pretty plant, both sexes are. Must be a lot of work keeping them under control. Subscribed!

UPDATE: ATTACK OF THE SPIDER MITES!!!

Thanks to my cousin Spider Mike I had to put off flowering for a couple of months and now I'm almost ready to start the process. I had to trim a lot of the leaves from the seniorita, then spray with AzaMax multiple times and now I think all of those fuckers are dead, including the eggs. I used a product called Wipe Out that is supposed to kill the eggs too. The few eggs I saw under the microscope were all dented looking and kinda shriveled.(dead).
Anyway, expect more regular updates and photos in the coming weeks.

Hope all is well in your world.

Is this grow still alive?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read our Photo Gallery Tutorial.

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom