Colombian Gold technique?

I'll just say this:

If Washington was growing fiber hemp that he was separating the males from, how come he wasn't working in the fields, and made a special entry about his planting at the "muddy hole by the swamp?"

Then he goes back to the muddy hole and removes the males! Do you think the "muddy hole" was a few hectares? He obviously wasn't breeding anything, as he didn't want seeds, and obviously wanted it way away from his normal hemp.

Also, the first post is a little off here. It mentions that HPS is the same spectrum as the sun, which is untrue. The spectrum of HPS is often said to be like the autumn sun (which it really isn't). Colombia is so close to the equator that it really has NO autumn, and the sun's spectrum there year-round would be much better approximated by a MH lamp.

Another question that would have to answered in the pursuit of the technique of the Gold Weed would be to know where in Colombia it was grown, as the country is quite diverse in terms of landscape, elevation and precipitation and relative humidity throughout the year.

I believe the weed harvest season in Colombia is in January.
Santa Marta

Gold was grown in Santa Marta and the various colors of buds from Columbian had one thing in common: They came in bales of about 25 lb.s and were wrapped in brown paper bag paper. The best had immature white little seeds, as if they were pollinated after growing seedless for a while in a budding stage, and then picked before the seeds matured. Red, black and orange, and brown came this way and we called them goo buds. Gold usually had mature seeds and was drier and less gooey than the darker colors with immature seeds.

Light degrades cannabinoids. Would be less potent and a waste of electricity.
Would also be harsh and brittle.
You need sunlight to get the coloring and the taste. The original taste is hard to replicate. I believe old fashioned tobacco curing techniques were used to some degree. That involves sunlight turning and hanging, preferably in an oak barn or shed. Small oak fires and flaps to vent as well. You do not want smoke from the fires, vent any smoke. I may try this next year on a small scale if I can find old oak barn wood in northern CO. The flavor is worth 10% or so if it can be achieved. We have a dry climate at a high altitude far north of the equator is another obstacle.

These recent posts on this older thread intrigued me, since I'm growing Columbian Gold this season, actually harvesting one of them tomorrow and OMG, they are so covered in Trichs it looks like it snowed. Amazing...

In Columbia they would pile the branches in huge piles and turn the piles daily, like you do with compost.
They would take them inside before they got brittle.
Yes, sunlight degrades weed (anout 10% loss in potency I've read) but even so the weed was so potent that if you smokes 1/4 joint while driving you'd forget where you were going and what you were gonna do when you got there. I know this from personal experience.
One year I tried it with unsatisfactory results. I discovered that it took an equatorial sun to accomplish this process.
I have a friend who tried it indoors under HPS but it just turned it a very mild gold color.
If you want a sure thing, go with bag drying.

I cracked up laughing at this post because back in the day; around 1971, a guy brought around some columbian gold and it was my first time trying it. After we shared a joint, I headed back up to the pool, but half way there I completely forgot where I was going and why. I literally had to stop and wait a good while for my memory to return. I always thought it was "just me" and then read this post above. haha

Zafu

I had the pleasure of some of this in the early 1980's in Sydney Oz, it was a honey gold colour and had the appearance of having been compressed. It still is some of the strongest nicest cannabis that I have ever had.

Hear! Hear! I couldn't of said it better myself. Just seeing those old strains in print made me remember some kick ass memories! I miss the thai stick the most I think. I remember smoking some and getting so high I literally couldn't see. I haven't found a modern strain yet that could do that and trust me, I've looked! lol
Acupulco gold id at like 16% gorilla glue,Bruce Banger and others are over 25% ..ummmm i like math!

Hey Everyone...

So I was reading around here a week or so ago and I read a post regarding how Colombian Gold was cured back in the day (sigh, I wasn't even a thought...). So according to what I read, the gardeners would harvest the pot, trim it, and then toss it in stacks in the hot Colombian sun. It was turned daily to get complete and even sun exposure, kind of like compost.

So my thought...

Could you not use your HPS lamps and essentially do the same thing? The warmth and the spectrum are nearly the same, minus the UV (which I have no idea whether or not it affects anything). Let me know if anyone thinks it's a decent idea, and I'll report the results since I'll be pulling my first harvest here in the next week.

Thanks!

T-Co
i think you are right on the money with this thinking. Light degrades chlorophyl. It does not degrade cannabinoids while there is moisture in the flower. Exposing to the sun and turning it cooks out chlorophyll while starting the bacterial fermentation process. I am 100% going to try this. Also, I have an encyclopedic memory of the real Santa Marta gold from like 1976. This is worth doing and worth discussing.

i think you are right on the money with this thinking. Light degrades chlorophyl. It does not degrade cannabinoids while there is moisture in the flower. Exposing to the sun and turning it cooks out chlorophyll while starting the bacterial fermentation process. I am 100% going to try this. Also, I have an encyclopedic memory of the real Santa Marta gold from like 1976. This is worth doing and worth discussing.
for me its about recreating the flavor of the old Columbian Gold. if I lose some potency to get the flavor its still a win. My crop of landrace 'Santa Marta Columbian Gold' seeds , started in Fevruary, grown indoor->outdoor->indoor are almost ready for harvest, and a beautiful 3 female plants.

Hey Everyone...

So I was reading around here a week or so ago and I read a post regarding how Colombian Gold was cured back in the day (sigh, I wasn't even a thought...). So according to what I read, the gardeners would harvest the pot, trim it, and then toss it in stacks in the hot Colombian sun. It was turned daily to get complete and even sun exposure, kind of like compost.

So my thought...

Could you not use your HPS lamps and essentially do the same thing? The warmth and the spectrum are nearly the same, minus the UV (which I have no idea whether or not it affects anything). Let me know if anyone thinks it's a decent idea, and I'll report the results since I'll be pulling my first harvest here in the next week.

Thanks!

T-Co
All I remember is that spicy flavor, sweet yet lovingly seasoned, small multi colored buds, most gold, some red or green. Got my 1st oz, $35 in 1978. 2 tokes, lots of smiles

Back
Top Bottom