Colorado High - Soil - CFL - Super Skunk - 2013

Day 6 of Sprouting and still at 50%. The grow environment remains stable at 85-90 degrees with 50-60% RH. Here is an overhead shot of the babies -

DSCN20158.JPG

This is the first seedling to pop -

DSCN20168.JPG

This is the second seedling to pop -

DSCN20177.JPG

This is the third seedling to pop, once it gets rid of its seed case -

DSCN20189.JPG

Here is the DIY CO2 Generator (2-liter plastic bottle, 0.25" clear tubing, 2 cups sugar, 1 Tbsp yeast, ~2 liters warm water) -

DSCN20195.JPG

dude mine wont pop quickly either. fak. lol

thank god some of yours are coming up, ask them to send their plant energy my way :cheer:

dude mine wont pop quickly either. fak. lol

I realy think the seeds know that it is winter and are therefore taking their sweet time waking up.

thank god some of yours are coming up, ask them to send their plant energy my way :cheer:

Energy has been sent!

Day 10 of sprouting, 14 days after the start of germination, and there are only 2 healthy seedlings, the rest appear stunted and have not done much of anything since poking their heads out of the soil. The environment remains stable at 80-90 degrees, 60-70% RH, lights on 24/7 and the CO2 still chugging away.

Group shot of the seedlings/sprouts -

DSCN20264.JPG

The two healthy seedlings -

DSCN20203.JPG

DSCN20215.JPG

The four stunted sprouts (the third sprout still has its seed case) -

DSCN20223.JPG

DSCN20233.JPG

DSCN20246.JPG

DSCN20254.JPG

I'm considering a couple of options at this point. Give up on these 4 stunted sprouts and germinate the last 4 SS seeds, although that will put 2 weeks between these 4 and the original 2 plants. Wait and see if they survive and go forward with whatever does survive, even if it only 2 plants. I'm leaning towards the latter option but I still have yet to make a decision.

I would suggest soaking the medium with a very light feeding. my sprouts loved it and are now taking off.

btw, thanks for the energy to get mine to sprout. took 4-5 days but it happened. :thumb:

I would suggest soaking the medium with a very light feeding. my sprouts loved it and are now taking off.

btw, thanks for the energy to get mine to sprout. took 4-5 days but it happened. :thumb:

I'm concerned with burning an already fragile sprout with any feedings this early on especially since they are in 50% FFOF soil. I'm glad to hear that your grow is doing much better.

what i did was i put a drop or two of biobizz in 16 oz of water and soaked them. if you dont want to feed them, at least water em! turns out the roots have an easier time growing in wet soil that's drying out.

I have been watering them from the bottom up every few days to keep the peat pots moist and I mist them as well to keep the surface moist for the sprouts.

they dont like that treatment anymore after the germinate. you should water them like you water a normal plant, especially since youngsters are less drought resistant than grown plants.

I would have to disagree on the drought resistant part, they still can get pretty water logged learned that a few days ago which will come with the droopy leaves and a little sad looking, but they should be looking healthy again a day later.
I would say you could start watering from the top down CH, small doses of nutes this early is acceptable but not necessary. I am feeding with ro water so every other watering I dip my finger into the cal mag bottle and literally flick the Calmag off my fingers into the bottle of water I feed with :) just to make sure they are getting a little bit of goodies (although the soil still probably has a decent amount).
Also, if you feel the need, I hate leaving the seed pod on the girls, I tend to try and use some finesse and try to pry it off without hurting the seedling. I have found the seedlings that carry that shell through the top tend to be slower growing plants during the beginning.
Happy holidays CH :Namaste:

Based on your suggestion b.real, I gave every baby, using a baster, 0.25 ounces of 1 Tbsp D&S Growology Step 2 & 1 Tbsp Molasses mixed with 1 gallon of dechlorinated tap water. I will continue to give them this amount as the peat pots dry out and see how they respond. CA, I did remove the seed case from that one sprout, we'll see if it survived the procedure.

sweet. you'll see them grow quick as soon as the soil starts drying out (which should be asap if its not too humid)

my soil is "empty" and I can give my babies a biobizz mix from the start in very low doses (its molasses and sea kelp)

you need to increase you micro activity. to do this you need Mycorrhizae. Mycorrhizae need water, food, and most importantly some plant roots to live. keep your babies wet. Some light nutes like big bloom or Thrive Alive B1 will feed you soil with out hurting the plant.
If your bag of soil dries out it needs to start over the Mycorrhizae spores will be there but the microbes need water and food and roots to colonize fully.
My opinion on Ocean Forest I dont think they can keep up the quality due to Demand. Good Organic soil needs to be mixed and cooked over time in good conditions to get good results. to put it an other way same recipe but half cooked.

Step 1 of D&S Growology is mixing humates and mycorrhizae into the soil, so all of the peat pots and 2 gallon pots filled with soil have already been innoculated with Step 1. Regarding FFOF, that's part of the reason I did not go 100% with FFOF and cut it with an aged Steer Manure and Compost Blend. So far, I'm happy with the soil composition, especially compared to my first grow.

Back
Top Bottom