420 Magazine Background

Colorado High - Soil - LED/CFL - Easy Rider Redux - 2015

Thread starter #1
Strain - Easy Rider (70% Indica / 30% Sativa)
Started from seed on August 10, 2015
Indoor Soil Grow in a 4' x 2' x 5' Grow Box

Pots - 6-2 Gallon Black Plastic Nursery Pots
Medium - 50% FoxFarm Ocean Forest Potting Soil / 50% Generic Soilless Indoor Potting Mix w/Dolomite Lime
Nutrients - Doggett & Simpson Growology 3-Step System & Botanicare Cal-Mag Plus

Air Circulation - 2-6" 2-Speed Clip Fans
Air Extraction - 6"x14" Carbon Filter/130 CFM Fan Combo w/Controller
Air Humidification - Evaporative Cool Mist Humidifier w/Controller

Vegetating

LED Canopy Light - Top LED 96x3 Watt Reflector Grow Light (~170 Watts)
CFL Sidelights - Maximum of 12,800 Lumens/184 Watts @ 5000K
Lights On - 21:00-09:00 & 14:30-15:30 (Gas Lantern Routine)
Temperature - Maximum of 95°
Humidity - 50% to 70%

Flowering

LED Canopy Light - Top LED 96x3 Watt Reflector Grow Light (~200 Watts)
CFL Sidelights - Maximum of 22,400 Lumens/336 Watts @ 2700K or Maximum of 5,280 Lumens/208 Watts of 10% UVB
Lights On - 21:00-09:00
Temperature - Maximum of 85°
Humidity - 30% to 50%


Welcome to my fifth grow! Two years ago, I started my very first cannabis grow with the Easy Rider strain from Amsterdam Marijuana Seeds. As it turned out, that harvest was better in quality than any of my next three grows. After my first grow, I started experimenting with different mediums, nutrients and techniques and while I learned a great deal, I never quite got back to the quality I was so fortunate to enjoy the first time around. Chalk it up to beginner's luck I guess! :3: With that in mind, I'm returning to my very first strain and trying again with the knowledge and experience that I have gained over the past 2 years.

The twist to this grow will be that in addition to using the last 2 seeds of my original Easy Rider strain, I will add the 3 seeds that were produced when half of the first grow hermied due to heat/light stress. While I was vigilant with my relentless "search and destroy" missions to remove any and all stamens, at least one survived my efforts and pollinated a small bud near the bottom of one of the ladies. To round out the grow to an even 6 seeds, I will add one of the 20 free seeds of unknown strain that were sent along with my original order of 40 seeds, which comprised the 4 strains of my first 4 grows. Should any of the seeds fail early on, they will be replaced by a free seed. By the way, this will be my first multiple strain grow and my first grow with an unknown strain.

The grow setup remains nearly identical to my last grow apart from the removal of SNS 604A/B and Molasses from the nutrient line-up as well as the return to soil as the medium. I will continue to employ GLR during vegetation as well as the inverted light schedule. I'm also planning on employing CFL sidelighting throughout the entire grow, as long as temperatures can be kept below the vegetating and flowering maximums of 95° and 85°, respectively.

Today, I placed 1 Free seed and 5 Easy Rider seeds (2 original and 3 hermie) into 3 separate containers of tap water. Within the next 24-48 hours, I hope to see some tap roots.
 
Thread starter #15
After 2 days sitting in the tap water, 5 of the seeds have cracked open showing their tap roots with just one of the hermie seeds still dormant. I've decided to add another free seed to germination to offset what appears to be a bad hermie seed. I'll still leave it sit in the water until I've placed all of the sprouts into Rapid Rooter plugs, but there is currently no sign that this baby wants to hatch at all.
 

improvise

Well-Known Member
looking forward to following your journal..

About your seed not opening - i just popped 10 autos 8 off them sprouted within 24 hours and 2 stayed dormant for another two days. so i got the two seeds and lightly rubbed the blunt end with a little bit of 300 wet and dry emery paper and put them back into paper towel. i was thinking that it would help moisture to penetrate the husk.

to my surprise the next morning they had cracked and starting to sprout. whether this was coincidence or not who knows.

later and regards
 
Thread starter #17
Well, after less than 12 hours in the water, the new free seed cracked open while that one hermie seed remained dormant. Given that it has been over 3 days since the start of germination, it was time to get them out of the water and give them a little bit of fresh air. I now have 6 sprouts - (2 free, 2 original and 2 hermie), each of which were inserted into a Rapid Rooter plug. I'll give them a few days to establish themselves before I transplant them into the soil and take their first baby pictures.
 
Thread starter #19
:thanks: NewbishGrower. So far 3 out of the six sprouts have emerged from the RR plugs. The other three are languishing behind and concerning me a bit.