KCMP, I started out with my first 2 grows using CFL only with the last 3 grows using a combination of LED & CFL. All of my grows have incorporated CFL sidelighting as much as possible. My third grow did not have much sidelighting due to heat issues and that did have a significant negative impact on the resulting harvest, that's why I don't grow during the summer anymore.
I have no experience with MH/HPS at all unfortunately. I feel that HID is a more efficient light source than CFL, but the heat issue is something I cannot afford to deal with given my current setup, which I have no desire or need to change at the moment. CFL is cooler than HID but the real gain is in the flexibility of type and placement of lights. I can easily switch between 2700K, 5000K and 10% UVB using the same fixtures. I can also place these lights pretty much anywhere around the grow box and easily adjust them as the plants grow.
Thanks for the info! I may end up building a few DIY CFL fixtures this round. Let me know if you are close to Denver and are looking for any new genetics. I need to do some trimming on my plants in the next day or so and will be tossing viable clones otherwise.
Week 4/Day 25 of flowering and the ladies just keep on truckin'! I've raised H2 up a bit to even it out with H1 as well as shuffled the ladies around to see if giving a bit more light to H2 might help it to catch up to H1. Otherwise, I've left the ladies pretty much alone since the last update. Flowering is advancing at a brisk pace and a recent check of the ladies showed no evidence of stamens.
Single and close-up shots of O1 on day 25 of flowering -
Single and close-up shots of H1 on day 25 of flowering -
Single and close-up shots of H2 on day 25 of flowering -
I've increased the feeding frequency to accommodate their increased appetite with no apparent negative impacts/side effects. Not much else to report at the moment. Trichome checking should commence soon during the second half of flowering as the ladies approach their harvest, tentatively scheduled for the early part of December.
Week 5/Day 33 of flowering and the ladies are continuing to do well and have really begun to produce flowers all over. I've noticed a bit of clawing of the fan leaves so instead of feeding them this morning, I just gave them Cal-Mag Plus fortified water to see if that helps any. Otherwise I've been feeding them with every watering, which occurs around every 3-4 days now. The following photos were taken prior to watering this morning, thus the droopy bottom leaves.
Group shot of the ladies on day 33 of flowering -
Single and close-up shots of O1 on day 33 of flowering -
Single and close-up shots of H1 on day 33 of flowering -
Single and close-up shots of H2 on day 33 of flowering -
A recent check for stamens came up empty so it appears that I've dodged that bullet this time around as the ladies are now significantly past the time during my first grow where I first discovered stamens. That's all for now, I hope everyone has a Happy Halloween this weekend!