Colorado Pet Parents Turn To Marijuana To Help Dogs Cope With Illnesses

Jacob Redmond

Colorado is one of several states where recreational and medical marijuana are legal.

Some smoke it for fun; others use it to treat ailments from glaucoma to seizure disorders, but some residents are turning to medical pot to treat their pets.

"I've been a fan of dogs my whole life," Chiara Subhas said.

Bobo, Bandit, Maya and Misty are four of more than a dozen dogs Subhas and her husband have rescued.

They adopt senior dogs like 14-year-old Leo.

The little pomeranian started having seizures, "Just violently shaking, his mouth is open, his eyes are rolling back, he's drooling," Subhas said.

She tried changing his diet, then went to pot.

"We were suggested by our vet in Boulder that we try a medical marijuana product for our dog," Subhas said.

The product is called Canna Companion. Leo started on two capsules a day. "Shortly after his seizures definitely decreased," she said.

On the company website, Canna Companion is listed as hemp supplements for cats and dogs. It's basically a unique blend of cannabis with low THC, the ingredient that gets you high.

There are more than a dozen testimonials. Cancer-stricken Harley's "happy purrsonality came back immediately!" Subhas's Boulder veterinarian wrote that the capsules have helped Titus, her 13-year-old great Dane, be "comfy and mobile".

"It's not going to cure cancer. It's not going to stop seizures from happening, but it can help," veterinarian Sarah Brandon said. She stops short of making medical claims. She is is co-founder of the supplement company out of Washington state.

In February, the FDA warned Canna Companion and similar companies to remove unproven health benefits from their marketing.

"It's one more tool in our toolbelt, and we firmly believe that veterinarians and pet parents should have it available to them if they should choose to use it," Brandon said.

The FDA warned "consumers should beware purchasing and using such products."

"I personally am not a big fan of the FDA, so I would not worry so much. I don't worry about that at all," Subhas said.

Veterinarian Dr. Debbie Van Pelt isn't ready to recommend cannabis for cats or hemp for hounds: "I just think that we don't have the evidence right now to document what is safe and what is effective."

Van Pelt believes there may be potential in medical pot for pets, and she understands why owners try it: "because people love their animals and they are looking for ways to give them better quality of life."

Subhas sees the change in Leo. "He's more alert. Overall he seems just more comfortable," she said. She gladly spends $75 a month to keep her aging pomeranian a happy pup.

Medical marijuana is legal in 24 states and Washington, DC.

14801.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Pet parents turn to pot to help dogs cope with illnesses - Cincinnati News, FOX19-WXIX TV
Author: Web Staff
Contact: Directions to FOX19 WXIX 19News Offices - Cincinnati News, FOX19-WXIX TV
Photo Credit: KCNC/CNN
Website: Cincinnati & N. KY news, weather & sports from FOX19 WXIX - Cincinnati News, FOX19-WXIX TV

Back
Top Bottom