Combining flouro and HID lighting

Back story... due to circumstances beyond my control, I veg in a very hot grow tent under 24 hour fluorescent lights.
I use the flouro's because my HID would make the cabinet way too hot during the day time.
I could run the HID at night alongside the flouro's, but I'm concerned that the lumen change might trigger the bloom cycle even with the flouro's running 24/7.

Thoughts?

Lumen changes won't affect the plants, the sun's light doesn't stay constant throughout the day due to clouds, angle to the horizon, etc. so I wouldn't worry about any changes in light intensity throughout lights on. In photo-period plants, the light cycle changing to 12/12 is what causes the plant to start flowering.

Hmmm... so to continue the conversation....
I wonder what would happen if I switched from 24hr light down to 12-1/11 to follow the Gas Lantern technique?
Would my plants go into bloom then back into veg? That would not be cool and I'd need to wait for the next crop.
Seems like changing light cycles mid veg would be a tragedy in the making.
Thoughts? Experiences?

On my first grow I changed from 18/6 to GLR at ~3 weeks into veg and on my second grow I went from 24/7 to GLR also at ~3 weeks into veg, both caused no issues whatsoever. Cannabis is much more forgiving with light cycle changes during vegging as compared to flowering.

Lights set to 12-1/11 this morning. Should be fun to see what happens.
I have been keeping my clones in the same tent. Any thoughts on how this might impact clones trying to make roots?

I'm assuming you are using GLR? If so, make sure your light cycle is 12 on, 5.5 off, 1 on, 5.5 off. It is important to have the interruption of dark in the middle of the lights off. This destroys some of the flowering hormones so it doesn't immediately go into flowering before it is sexually mature. Also, if you are concerned about wear and tear on your HID ballast, you can use just the flouro for that 1 hour of dark interruption, it doesn't need all of the light, just enough to interrupt the hormone production.

Would you not stress your plant out with the constant light intensity changes, I know there's a hardening off period if u go from cfl to HPS you have to climatise them?

wufo:
ColoHigh has talked me into trying GLR lighting. Apparently it's quite effective at promoting fast growth.
Check out the link in ColoHigh sig.
I was running 24hr light in my Veg chamber, but heat is an issue I can't subtract from my growing equation, so the GLR lighting technique is quite appealing to me. I can run the 12 cycle at night with both the flouros and HPS, then have the 1 hour phase in the middle of the dark be just flouro... thus avoiding my heat issues while providing maximum light at night when the air is cooler.

ColoHigh:
I bet you can buy seeds locally and easily in CO theses days.... I'm way jealous!

Tead, actually GLR is not the fastest way to flowering or getting the most growth, that would 12/12 and 18/6 respectively. GLR is the fastest way to get the plant sexually mature and flowering using the least amount of resources. Since I purchased my seeds last summer, before recreational sales were around (that started on 1/1/14), I got them from a seed bank in the Netherlands. But it is nice to be able to supplement my grows with different varieties when the need arises that's for sure!

Back
Top Bottom