Come SOG With Me: 112 Plants, 2 Liter, Hempy SOG

@420fied Cool thanks again, I'm an old school noob haha so a lot of this is new to me, I was looking at Xare's journal on RIU, I can see where you got your inspiration, but I like the idea of using mother's opposed to taking clones from clones, do you use soil for your mothers?

Xare is the man. I pot my Mothers in soil. Baccto Pro Mix is what I use.

@420fied have you ever had issues with algae growth from light penetration through your 2L? I'm using Mt. Dew bottles and the plastic logo is a green transparency opposed to the white ones you have on the pepsi. Should I consider cutting off the logo and use black duct tape around the bottle/spray paint the bottom? is that pointless extra work? could I just spray paint the bottom of 2L and not worry about the logo being a bit transparent? I just want to create the best environment for my roots. Also have you ever tried putting a small layer of hydrotron on top of the perlite/vermiculite mix so when you water prevents the top layer of per/verm from moving around/blocks light penetration regarding algae?

@420fied have you ever had issues with algae growth from light penetration through your 2L? I'm using Mt. Dew bottles and the plastic logo is a green transparency opposed to the white ones you have on the pepsi. Should I consider cutting off the logo and use black duct tape around the bottle/spray paint the bottom? is that pointless extra work? could I just spray paint the bottom of 2L and not worry about the logo being a bit transparent? I just want to create the best environment for my roots. Also have you ever tried putting a small layer of hydrotron on top of the perlite/vermiculite mix so when you water prevents the top layer of per/verm from moving around/blocks light penetration regarding algae?

I get a little Algae on the tops of my 2L's and it doesn't hurt them a bit. In fact, Algae produces Oxygen. As long as the bottoms of the 2 Liters are painted your roots should be fine.

hey 420fied,i'm starting some snow white and 1 has sativa traits and the other indica.which did you prefer for mothers.:thanks:

Interestingly enough, 3 of my large moms are from the Same old Mom which was Indica dominant and I have one that I recently popped from seed about a month ago and it's showing me more of a Sativa phenotype.

I don't have a preference.

@420fied Hey does a magnum XXXL air cooled hood necessarily need to be cooled with just 1 600w running? or 2x 600w and a vortex fan, 6" duct on hoods/fan but is that even necessary? I notice you had 2 600w/hoods that aren't cooled, I wonder does that help promote growth for the 7-8" babies who are 20-24" from light with all the warmth coming from bulb?

Hi, 420fied. I've been studying your grow for a couple months now and I just built my aero cloner from your tutorial. I've collected my 2 L's and I'm ready to give it a shot the only difference is I have 1 1000 watt hps on a 4x4 footprint. Just wondering what you think I could expect to yield with these variables. I was also wondering what the difference would be if I grew in soil? Thanks for all the well documented info!

@420fied Hey does a magnum XXXL air cooled hood necessarily need to be cooled with just 1 600w running? or 2x 600w and a vortex fan, 6" duct on hoods/fan but is that even necessary? I notice you had 2 600w/hoods that aren't cooled, I wonder does that help promote growth for the 7-8" babies who are 20-24" from light with all the warmth coming from bulb?

In my case, when the weather turned cooler, I removed the ducting from both of my 1000w hoods. One is a cool tube inside a hood and the other is a sealed hood and I removed the glass from it. I had to install an intake fan on a thermostat(besides an exhaust fan)to remove the heat from the room, but it is working out great.

The plants don't mind the warmth and it will not harm the lights. Since you are talking about 600 watters 24" would probably be OK. Just keep an eye on them until you get it dialed in.

No. It isn't necessary to air cool with just one 600 running if you have much flowering space at all. Also, I'm not ready to claim that the warmth from the bulb promotes any growth as my flower room is always 68-76* depending on lights on/off. However, a little warmth won't hurt them.

Hi, 420fied. I've been studying your grow for a couple months now and I just built my aero cloner from your tutorial. I've collected my 2 L's and I'm ready to give it a shot the only difference is I have 1 1000 watt hps on a 4x4 footprint. Just wondering what you think I could expect to yield with these variables. I was also wondering what the difference would be if I grew in soil? Thanks for all the well documented info!

2 Liters have a footprint of 4 1/4" inches. With a 4'x4' footprint you'll be able to run 144 plants at a time if you choose. If you yield 10 grams per plant that's 1440 grams or 51 ounces.

You could definitely grow in soil but they won't grow as fast as they do in the Hempy pots. Also, the 2 Liter setup is designed for Perm/Verm as it drains so well. Soil might produce root rot as the roots lay in the res at the bottom. I believe some have tried this method using soil but I've never read of any positive or negative results. Check around but personally, I wouldn't recommend trying this with soil. Best of luck.

hello 420fied,

First of all I want to thank you for your well defined how-to grow journals. i just finished a grow in my aero scrog built exactly as you showed us,it was fantastic. I also built two aero cloners to your specs and they are working great also. If it weren't for my severe arthritis I would love to do a journal but it takes a lot out of me to type,the pain is just too much.

I just started a 1000w hempy pot grow and everything was so simple thanks to your easy to follow detailed journal but there is one thing that I am struggling with and I am asking if you could help and that is the defoliation process. It seems to me that the leaves that are blocking the most light are the leaves near the top of the cola and the stem tends to be buried deep into the bud and I am hesitant to dig in there to snip them,am I being too hesitant,or do you just snip just the leaf part off? I would love to see a couple more before and after pics as I am afraid to defoliate too much or not enough,your help would be greatly appreciated.

hello 420fied,

First of all I want to thank you for your well defined how-to grow journals. i just finished a grow in my aero scrog built exactly as you showed us,it was fantastic. I also built two aero cloners to your specs and they are working great also. If it weren't for my severe arthritis I would love to do a journal but it takes a lot out of me to type,the pain is just too much.

I just started a 1000w hempy pot grow and everything was so simple thanks to your easy to follow detailed journal but there is one thing that I am struggling with and I am asking if you could help and that is the defoliation process. It seems to me that the leaves that are blocking the most light are the leaves near the top of the cola and the stem tends to be buried deep into the bud and I am hesitant to dig in there to snip them,am I being too hesitant,or do you just snip just the leaf part off? I would love to see a couple more before and after pics as I am afraid to defoliate too much or not enough,your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for the kind words. I'm glad that you were able to take some things away from my journals and apply them to your own situation. Check out post #153 in this thread. I take all the big full fans all the way up until almost the top of the plant. You can just snip it off at(flush with)the bud without having to do any digging if the stem is buried. I hope this helps and also, if you google "defoliation" , I'm sure you can grab some ideas from other growers. May all your buds be dense my friend.

hey 420fied,i'm starting some snow white and 1 has sativa traits and the other indica.which did you prefer for mothers.:thanks:

Interestingly enough, 3 of my large moms are from the Same old Mom which was Indica dominant and I have one that I recently popped from seed about a month ago and it's showing me more of a Sativa phenotype.

I don't have a preference.

Nobody has grown more Snow White's than 420fied, so I hope he doesn't mind me commenting on this, too... I have grown several Snow White's from seed (was the first strain I grew, and I had a few grows with it undocumented here) and had at least a few different phenos, both sativa and indica appearing. I even had one that purpled really nicely without inducing colder temps (might be the prettiest bud I've grown to date).

While some looked more sativa and some looked more indica (especially when younger), I found the high, taste and experience to be very similar regardless of how sativa some looked, etc. The best part is ALL of them were vigorous, disease/mold resistant, tolerant of mistakes, etc. Yummy tasting and very hard hitting. It's a great strain. Still one of my favorites - reminds me of juicy fruit gum with the way it smells for some reason. Also, some of the ones that started out looking really indica at the beginning ended up looking much more "hybrid" once they matured (for me). That's just been my experience, hope you don't mind another person's 2 cents! :)

Thanks for the info. I went with soil because I couldn't find any perm/Verm in bulk. Just the small ones from various stores. Any ideas where I can find larger bags?

hey 420fied,

Do you still water each container all the way through the grow, or do you flood the trays?

I'm having to spend alot of time watering each container and it's hard to get in the back once they get bigger. I can't recall if I saw that you flood after a period of time or not
thx

I believe he hand waters, I have seen others come up with ways to build watering systems that can take some of the labor out of a system like this.

Sorry guys, my phone keeps acting like the post doesn't go through, then I retype, and send, a d they are both there. Sorry about that!!

hey 420fied,

Do you still water each container all the way through the grow, or do you flood the trays?

I'm having to spend alot of time watering each container and it's hard to get in the back once they get bigger. I can't recall if I saw that you flood after a period of time or not
thx

I hand water each plant for now. However, I do have an auto irrigation system designed. I will incorporate it once I'm at full go in the new space.

Back
Top Bottom