Company Plans To Open Medical Marijuana Lab In Hartford

The General

A Denver-based company specializing in providing testing services for marijuana products plans to open a Connecticut laboratory in Hartford. CannLabs Inc. signed a lease Aug. 1 to open a facility, its first in state, in the 75,000-square-foot business office park at 40 Weston St, company vice president of marketing Robert Farrell said Thursday.

Previously, the testing firm had filed an application with the Rocky Hill planning and zoning commission for a lab and research center at 712 Brook St. in the WinBrook Business Park. That application remains pending, Farrell said, and is likely to be withdrawn once the company secures a license from the state Department of Consumer Protection for the Harford facility. The Rocky Hill location, 5,333 square feet of space located in Suite 102 facing Brook Street, is considered Plan B, Farrell said. There is no signed lease. "Our main goal is to have the lab up and running when the producers are producing,'' Farrell said. "We took a business decision to look at other locations. Hartford does not have that moratorium."

The Rocky Hill town council in March enacted a 12-month-long moratorium on the opening of businesses that dispense or produce medical marijuana. The town's planning director Kim Ricci said in an e-mail that she did not believe the moratorium covered laboratory testing services, and the planning commission scheduled a public hearing for Aug. 20.

CannLabs announced in June that it had negotiated three-year contracts for testing and analytic services with two of the Connecticut's four licensed medical marijuana growers. The state has licensed six dispensing facilities and four producers of medical marijuana products which are expected to hit the market this month. The four growers licensed by the Connecticut Department of Consumer Protection include Advanced Grow Labs LLC, of West Haven; Connecticut Pharmaceutical Solutions LLC, of Portland; CuraLeaf LLC of Simsbury and Theraplant LLC of Watertown.

"The growers will use CannLabs for all mandated testing of their medical marijuana products. We view this as a meaningful near and long-term opportunity and will grow with our customers as they scale their business to meet patient's needs across the state," CannLabs Inc. founder and president Genifer Murray said in a June press release. Farrell declined to identify which growers have contracted with CannLabs, which is recognized as the leading laboratory services and technical services provider for the rapidly expanding cannabis industry, medical and non-medical.

The State of Connecticut has legalized medical marijuana use by patients who have received a certificate of need from a physician. All licensed products must be tested for potency, microbials, pesticides and other potential contaminants. In its Rocky Hill application, CannLabs compared its laboratory operation to a medical testing laboratory: "A minimal amount of chemicals are used in the operation which are securely maintained after use and disposed of by a third party environmental waste company."

Once its laboratory is licensed, a team from Colorado will be set to establish the facility and get it up and running, Farrell said. In 2010, two years before a constitutional amendment in Colorado allowed recreational use of marijuana. Murray opened a 150-square-foot marijuana testing lab. Her company now operates a 4,000-square-foot state-certified lab which opened in Denver in April. CannLabs became publicly held in July, through Carbon Bond Holdings, Inc.

cannabis-lab-potency-test2.jpg

News Moderator - The General @ 420 MAGAZINE ®
Source: Courant.com
Author: The Hartford Courant
Website: CannLabs Inc. Medical Marijuana Testing Business Plans Lab In Hartford - Courant.com

Nice to know they are going to test potency before they grind all the bud for legal medical sale in the state upark so it can dry out. To whose benefit is grinding the bud up? I know the prices will still be about $400 per ounce for shake. Shame on the CT law. The only good thing the grounds can be used for is making oil. It saves patients the work of having to grind up the ounces ourselves. Totally ridiculous. I hope the law is changed. CT is the only state that requires the final product sold to be in ground form. I suppose that makes it easy for law enforcement to know if state approved patients are procuring their supply from state authorized dispensaries or from other sources as other sources will give patients whole buds. Under these circumstances, I personally would not register with the state at all, so I'm not a target or under automatic suspicion. Just my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom