Comparison - How do You mix your nutrient solutions in your grow?

do u combine nutrients and additives in one jug or do u separate each one ?

• Total voters

devils letuce

I was watching videos the other day and i saw allot of different way people were mixing there nutes and it made me wonder if i was doing it wrong all this time ... lets get everyone's option on this so we can compare and learn some different routines . almost every one who reads this uses and mixes nutrients and additives so everyone can contribute something .

i mix all of my nutrients and additives together in one pitcher like

i have a two gallon can i take tap water(cold as ive read hot water contains allot of copper in the lines) and let it sit out for 24 hrs then i add my nutrients,cal/mag,molasses,and lets say open sesame and then let it sit with two air stones in the solution for a few hrs and then ph and feed until i get proper run off. is this ok ??

i seen a guy that mixes everything into separate gallon jugs..if the feed chart called for 1\2 tsp of big bloom and 1\2 tsp of tiger bloom he mixes each into a separate jug were i mix mine into the same jug..is this just preference ? or is there a correct and in correct way ?

Re: COMPARISON*** How do YOU mix your nutrient solutions in your grow??

I think the key is to not mix them together full strength. ie don't pour a few teaspoons of each into a cup then dump that into the res.

I either put mine into the res as it's filling, or I will mix them into 5g of RO and then pour that into the res.

I think the key is to not mix them together full strength. ie don't pour a few teaspoons of each into a cup then dump that into the res.

I either put mine into the res as it's filling, or I will mix them into 5g of RO and then pour that into the res.

what about for adding in soil ?

100 views 1 comment..great job way to commit ...=/

100 views 1 comment..great job way to commit ...=/

LMAO. Sorry I had to laugh.

I can't really help here because I use an all-in-one nute but I think most people hitting this thread might be looking for a recommendation as to how it's done or something. You'll get some hits, just keep bumping it from time to time.

lol the question is do u mix all into one jug or do u make separate jugs for each nutrient in one feeding ..

like one jug has the grow big ,cal mag and tiger bloom and u poor them in together or....

grow big in one jug and tiger bloom and cal mag in the other jug and u pour them in separate

Im feeding a 275 gallon res so what I do is use a pitcher, fill it up halfway amd mix one ounce at a time (powder) micro first of course into the pitcher then dump in res. Repeat for grow and bloom etc. Thenni have a 250gph pump that recircs and mixes. As well as the water chiller.

what about for adding in soil ?

That would fall into my 5g bucket approach, except I don't pour those buckets into another reservoir. I put 5g of RO into a bucket then add all the ingredients for my nute recipe.

I use a 3 part nute system, plus molasses as a supplement, I mix everything together (most instructions have you do it this way) and just water normally with the nute solution.

that's what i do . i saw no problems with doing it like that my first grow but i started seeing people doing it different and i was wondering if it makes a difference

thanks for posting yall!!!!

When I first started using nutrients I read the label and thought that to be safe I should add each nutrient to a separate jug of water, then mix all the different jugs together. After helping a friend with his watering and learning from him, I discovered that I was just being overly cautious and interpreted the directions on the label incorrectly, I suspect that the person you saw doing this made the same mistake I made, or knows but decides to err on the side of caution anyway.

After reading a lot I have found that adding the cal/mag first before anything else except maybe Armour Si or any silica product, is the proper way to start adding nutrients to your water. I remember reading as to why but cannot recall the specific details for adding cal/mag first, I do however remember that it was in a study about nutrient/chemical interactions and which was better to add first and the technical reasons behind doing so were included in the study.

After a discussion with a friend I have also learned that chlorine can take as many as 7 days to leach out of tap water unless it is agitated with an air stone or other means.

I grow in a soil-less mix consisting of 60% Peat moss, 20% Per-lite, 20% Vermiculite and Mycorrhizae.
These are the nutrients and supplements I use and the order I add them to water.
I should also mention that I believe in using all my products from same company. I do this because I believe that a company engineers its products to work best with its own products rather then with products from another company. I do however use one product not from the primary company because I was so impressed with it after using it.

1 Armor Si 1.25 ml/gal
2 CALi/MAGic 5 ml/gal
3 Flora Micro 5 ml/gal
4 Flora Gro 5 ml/gal
5 Flora Bloom 5 ml/gal
6 Floralicious Plus 1.25 ml/gal
7 Diamond Black 15 ml/gal
8 Rapid Start 1.25 ml/gal
9 Flora Blend 5 - 10 ml/gal

During flower

1 Snow Storm Ultra 5 ml/gal or foliar feed
2 Liquid Koolbloom 2.5 - 5 ml/gal
Last 2-3 weeks
3 Dry Koolbloom 1.25 Gr/Gal

During Transplant or when I mix up my soil-less medium

1 Sub Culture M 3Tsp/5 Gal soil
2 Sub Culture B 1Tsp/5 Gal soil

These are just guidelines the company suggests, I alter some of the recommended ml/gal during different stages of the plants life cycle.

After adding everything to the water I PH balance the mixture and water right away. Two of the products I use are organic, so after I am done watering/feeding any left over mixture is used elsewhere as it will not keep until my next watering/feeding.

When I first started using nutrients I read the label and thought that to be safe I should add each nutrient to a separate jug of water, then mix all the different jugs together. After helping a friend with his watering and learning from him, I discovered that I was just being overly cautious and interpreted the directions on the label incorrectly, I suspect that the person you saw doing this made the same mistake I made, or knows but decides to err on the side of caution anyway.

After reading a lot I have found that adding the cal/mag first before anything else except maybe Armour Si or any silica product, is the proper way to start adding nutrients to your water. I remember reading as to why but cannot recall the specific details for adding cal/mag first, I do however remember that it was in a study about nutrient/chemical interactions and which was better to add first and the technical reasons behind doing so were included in the study.

After a discussion with a friend I have also learned that chlorine can take as many as 7 days to leach out of tap water unless it is agitated with an air stone or other means.

I grow in a soil-less mix consisting of 60% Peat moss, 20% Per-lite, 20% Vermiculite and Mycorrhizae.
These are the nutrients and supplements I use and the order I add them to water.
I should also mention that I believe in using all my products from same company. I do this because I believe that a company engineers its products to work best with its own products rather then with products from another company. I do however use one product not from the primary company because I was so impressed with it after using it.

1 Armor Si 1.25 ml/gal
2 CALi/MAGic 5 ml/gal
3 Flora Micro 5 ml/gal
4 Flora Gro 5 ml/gal
5 Flora Bloom 5 ml/gal
6 Floralicious Plus 1.25 ml/gal
7 Diamond Black 15 ml/gal
8 Rapid Start 1.25 ml/gal
9 Flora Blend 5 - 10 ml/gal

During flower

1 Snow Storm Ultra 5 ml/gal or foliar feed
2 Liquid Koolbloom 2.5 - 5 ml/gal
Last 2-3 weeks
3 Dry Koolbloom 1.25 Gr/Gal

During Transplant or when I mix up my soil-less medium

1 Sub Culture M 3Tsp/5 Gal soil
2 Sub Culture B 1Tsp/5 Gal soil

These are just guidelines the company suggests, I alter some of the recommended ml/gal during different stages of the plants life cycle.

After adding everything to the water I PH balance the mixture and water right away. Two of the products I use are organic, so after I am done watering/feeding any left over mixture is used elsewhere as it will not keep until my next watering/feeding.

First . thanks for the detailed info in your comment LAB.
i will try to look further into the cal mag discussion and see what i can find i usually add the molasses first and get it good and mixed up and then the cal mag and so on,then i let it sit with 2 air stones oxygenating for over 24 hrs .. i wonder if i should keep the same routine but dont add the nutrients before it sits out with the air stone for 24 hrs .hmmm that creates new questions lol .. i did see one popular grower on youtube that mixed them all together like i do but he stressed to never mix the nutrients and additives together in a jug without water to dilute them , because the chemical reaction they have together.. in your experience whats your take on that .

i two am trying to use all ff products on this grow for the same reason u speak of lab..but my lack of experience with photo grows has me worried about the feeding schedule .. if im using the ff soil with ff light-warrior my soil is hot enough for around a month , but on their feeding schedule it assumes your using there ffof soil and it still suggest u add nutes right out of the gate .. would that not create a burn issue ..and if u do wait when do u pick up the feeding schedule and on what week. so your on week 6 right after the nutes are weakened in he soil do u start on week one or jump str8 to week 6?

I have never added nutrients together, I have always added them to the water. I take a 5 gallon pail and add all my nutrients/supplements one at a time to the same 5 gallon pail of water, stirring the water before adding the next nutrient/supplement with no issues.

Yes I believe it may, and read it will cause a nutrient burn issue.

I have not used Fox Farms products and I have no intention of ever doing so. Based on the numerous issues I have read about their products, how complicated they are, and how little they seem to explain things about their products on their website.

I am a big fan of General Hydroponics, they are just so easy to use.

thanks lab

thought so on the nute burn ..ive been looking for a more of a ph consistent soil. only reason i started with ff was it was the #1 suggested soil to me .. it did great im my eyes but i did have ph problems and the inconsistency of the ph in their soil could have played a small role in it ant the rest was left to me being the nube lol..

has anyone used black gold ..Organic Potting Soils, Fertilizers and Amendments - BLACK GOLD - All the riches of the earth
or
tga soil The Green Avengers

i have the gh flora series .. i used it on my first grow and it did good even though i didnt use it right .

not to much but .. im thinking about it so i can start the nutes of just like the feeding schedule suggest and not worry about burning them.

You're right that the order you add the chemicals matters. The reason is some will react with each other. This is bad as they will be taking out things your plant needs. If A combines with B to make C, and your plant doesn't need C.... I agree that the Si products are the biggest culprits. I've actually seen something precipitating in the reservoir. IMHO it's the CaMg and the Si reacting, so now I add the Si at the end. It seems to help. It could also be my DM Zone reacting with something too. The only nutes I think about this with are the ones that specifically mention it, for example Zone and CaMg both say to add before adding your nutes. I think I have one more that says it too, but I'm not 100% sure without going to look. I think these 2 product need to be put in first because they are more reactive, so you need to dilute them. I guess you could dilute them first then add the diluted solution to your nutes, but I'm not sure that would still preclude any precipitation.

I think the key detail to take away from this discussion is what NOT to do. Don't do this...
Take an empty measuring cup and start pouring all the nutes into it full strength and THEN pour that into the res. The key point being NEVER to mix full strength nutes together. You don't need to dilute each ingredient separately though. I think this was the crux of the thread, right?

One last time to make the important point stand out...
NEVER MIX TOGETHER FULL STRENGTH NUTRIENTS!

Back
Top Bottom