Comparison - Mars II Series 5watt vs Reflector Series 3watt from Mars Hydro/Top LED

Hey SmokeSara! I fully understand the relationship between light and plant production. But having said that I find very little hard data on from all LED distributers on effective coverage and light penetration. Having been a long time MH/ HPS light user, ( I hate to admit it but I have been using MH lighting since the late 70's) I am looking for comparisons between these 2 lights. Since I am building a new 240 to 300 sq foot grow room I think that I have finally decided to make the jump. The pluses in my opinion are of course electric consumption and environmental control also with some lights the ability to customize the available wavelengths. But I find little practical info on spread and canopy penetration. On a standard HPS/MH set up I can adjust my effective coverage from about 4x5 up to about 6x7. I use adjustawing type reflectors with extremely high ceilings and circulation to vent my heat. With double ended HPS/MH lights I can increase the coverage and lumens. I recently went to a friend GPD grow where he was using and Advanced LED light on a 6 ft long track and I must admit that I was really impressed by both his expected yield and color and resin development of his plants. He has been growing the same cloned GDP for going on 10 years now and only recently made the switch to led's.

I am switching to a DWC bucket system from my old school rock wool drip tray system to allow me to be able to move plants when need to allow for light penetration. It seems to me that COB lighting looks to give better penetration of the canopy with standard LEDs it looks to me that you get perhaps better coverage depending upon the layout of the light system. Since I am making a substantial investment in this setup I am leaning towards the light rail system to increase coverage and may have to look at dropping additional lighting into the canopy to get the penetration that I normally would be looking for. I used to drop cool tubes but the expense didn't warrant the return in my opinion so over the years I have gone to my own method of training to achieve my harvest goals.
I sincerely appreciate you time trying to help a dinosaur grower move into the future. I guess it's tougher for me having used MH lighting in my greenhouses and tunnels to grow vegetables and even a giant pumpkin or two over the years. It's always tough to let go of the edge of the pool and enter the deep water of the unknown!! Best of luck in all you grow!

:circle-of-love: Hi uptheholler, we have tested the effective coverage for our lights and the penetration will be warranted under certain height. These data has been proved effective by many growers here who use led grow lights.:high-five: However, better to think twice before the jump, I can understand your feeling. It's not an easy decision, but you can have a try at first and will know whether it's worth it.:Namaste:
Hey SmokeSara! I fully understand the relationship between light and plant production. But having said that I find very little hard data on from all LED distributers on effective coverage and light penetration. Having been a long time MH/ HPS light user, ( I hate to admit it but I have been using MH lighting since the late 70's) I am looking for comparisons between these 2 lights. Since I am building a new 240 to 300 sq foot grow room I think that I have finally decided to make the jump. The pluses in my opinion are of course electric consumption and environmental control also with some lights the ability to customize the available wavelengths. But I find little practical info on spread and canopy penetration. On a standard HPS/MH set up I can adjust my effective coverage from about 4x5 up to about 6x7. I use adjustawing type reflectors with extremely high ceilings and circulation to vent my heat. With double ended HPS/MH lights I can increase the coverage and lumens. I recently went to a friend GPD grow where he was using and Advanced LED light on a 6 ft long track and I must admit that I was really impressed by both his expected yield and color and resin development of his plants. He has been growing the same cloned GDP for going on 10 years now and only recently made the switch to led's.

I am switching to a DWC bucket system from my old school rock wool drip tray system to allow me to be able to move plants when need to allow for light penetration. It seems to me that COB lighting looks to give better penetration of the canopy with standard LEDs it looks to me that you get perhaps better coverage depending upon the layout of the light system. Since I am making a substantial investment in this setup I am leaning towards the light rail system to increase coverage and may have to look at dropping additional lighting into the canopy to get the penetration that I normally would be looking for. I used to drop cool tubes but the expense didn't warrant the return in my opinion so over the years I have gone to my own method of training to achieve my harvest goals.
I sincerely appreciate you time trying to help a dinosaur grower move into the future. I guess it's tougher for me having used MH lighting in my greenhouses and tunnels to grow vegetables and even a giant pumpkin or two over the years. It's always tough to let go of the edge of the pool and enter the deep water of the unknown!! Best of luck in all you grow!

Re: Comparison - Mars II Series 5watt vs Reflector Series 3watt from Mars Hydro/Top L

After a few weeks of reading, I've decided the following.

There are a few questions which make you think about which is best for me.
Heat, Is this a issue?
Can i solve this issue easily or not?
Amount of plants and or size of plants grown?
am I wanting to grow 1,2,3 or 100 plants and if so how tall do i intend to make these plants?
Cost, Am i working a budget or can i swing some cash around?
Power consumption, is this a issue?
less is sometimes more!

I have realized this, the better light is almost situational when i ask myself these questions.
For me a 1 plant grower, Intrigued by science and the knowledge it has to offer. I will never grow in a large area or more then that, I will never grow a plant that is very tall due to my small living area so canopy penetration is not a issue.
I have a inline fan set up with good ventilation so heat isnt a issue, I'm on a budget so every $ counts and lastly I would prefer to not have a massive hydro bill.

I believe the Mars 48 Reflector series would do just as good for me as a Mars II 400 and that I would be spending the extra money for little impact on my setup.

If someone has a reason why they think I should go with the Mars II 400 instead please let me know, Cheers!
(ordered my light today)

Re: Comparison - Mars II Series 5watt vs Reflector Series 3watt from Mars Hydro/Top L

Grower usually get better result from Mars II 400 over Reflector48:high-five:
After a few weeks of reading, I've decided the following.

There are a few questions which make you think about which is best for me.
Heat, Is this a issue?
Can i solve this issue easily or not?
Amount of plants and or size of plants grown?
am I wanting to grow 1,2,3 or 100 plants and if so how tall do i intend to make these plants?
Cost, Am i working a budget or can i swing some cash around?
Power consumption, is this a issue?
less is sometimes more!

I have realized this, the better light is almost situational when i ask myself these questions.
For me a 1 plant grower, Intrigued by science and the knowledge it has to offer. I will never grow in a large area or more then that, I will never grow a plant that is very tall due to my small living area so canopy penetration is not a issue.
I have a inline fan set up with good ventilation so heat isnt a issue, I'm on a budget so every $ counts and lastly I would prefer to not have a massive hydro bill.

I believe the Mars 48 Reflector series would do just as good for me as a Mars II 400 and that I would be spending the extra money for little impact on my setup.

If someone has a reason why they think I should go with the Mars II 400 instead please let me know, Cheers!
(ordered my light today)

Back
Top Bottom