Compilation of tinctures receipts

Organic Weed

Hello folks!
I'm a tincture passionate, that's mostly what I do. I've looked into different options and i have found very scattered information in the forum about how to make high quality grade tinctures. So I thought it was a good idea to open a thread specifically on the different types of methods to make high grade tinctures.

I'll start listing a few and it would be great if people could add their knowledge so we can get all the best brains and experience in one place.

CLASSIC

- Decarb 10 grams of grained herb at 225F/107C for 60 minutes in an oven over a baking sheet. Let it cool for 30 minutes Put it in a sealed jar, cover with 95% alcool, store it in the freezer for 1 month, shake it 2-3 per week. After the 30 days, filter the alcool with coffe filter, evaporate the alcool but letting the jar open. Mix it with 30 ml vegetable oil and store it in a droplet container. Start with 4 drops and regulate

Pros: easy
Cons: loose terpenes

MASON JAR TINCTURE (copied from Leafly)

Set your oven between 220 and 240 degrees Fahrenheit and place the oven rack in the middle position.
Break up the cannabis until it’s about the size of a grain of rice, put it into the mason jar and lightly screw on the lid.
Lightly wet the kitchen towel and lay it over the baking sheet then put the mason jar on the towel. The damp towel will help anchor the jar to the baking sheet and keep it from falling over.
Place the baking tray in the oven and bake for 60 minutes. Every 15 minutes, carefully remove the mason jar from the oven with the oven gloves and give it a shake to disperse the cannabis evenly.
After 60 minutes, remove the jar from the oven, and let cool for 30 minutes before storing or using it for cooking.

Then to do the tincture:
Put the decarb cannabis in alcool and freeze it for 1 month. Shake it periodically. Filter the alcool with coffe filter. Evaporate the alcool and mix it with oil. In my experience: 10 gr cannabis for each 30 ml oil.

Pros: apparently it preserves the terpenes (to be confirmed)
Cons: slightly more complicated

WATER BOILING DECARB

Put your girded herb in a sealed glass jar and then bring it to boiling point, making sure it won't move around by fixing it with something on top. Let it boil for about 60 to 90 minutes. Then to do the tincture using alcohol as described in the other options above

WATER BOILING OIL DECARB

I have read this in a couple of sites but I couldn't really get the details. It's the same as in the water boiling carb with the difference that now you'll put your herb together with oil already in the jar. Because of the high quantity of oil you require to cover the grinder material and the need to filtrate it, it may get fairly diluted plus it's a little unclear how you can filter the stuff.

So please if you have comments on this method or any other, go ahead

My modified bastardization of the process:

1.Decarb 13-15grams in Nova.
2.Double sleeve whole decarbed bud in press bags.
3. Pour 8oz, Everclear in Mason jar.
4. Place bud and Mason jar in freezer for minimum 10hrs.
5. Then combine and over the next 24hrs. shake vigorously whenever you think about it.
6. Remove from freezer, suspend bag and let drip dry.
7. Reduce by half using your Source Turbo or by evaporation,
8. Enjoy a couple of mils in a cup of yogurt 2hrs. before you wanna be mesmerized.
Note: After the drip dry, the bagged bud can be smoked (lesser buzz) or I ingest with my yogurt for a "whole plant effect."

Activate.JPG

DSCN3349.JPG

DSCN1992 (2).JPG

DSCN0861.JPG

DSCN1738 (2).JPG

DSCN0872 (2).JPG

DSCN0113 (2).JPG

Tincture Kit.JPG

5. Then combine and over the next 24hrs. shake vigorously whenever you think about it.
8. Enjoy a couple of mils in a cup of yogurt 2hrs. before you wanna be mesmerized.
Note: After the drip dry, the bagged bud can be smoked (lesser buzz) or I ingest with my yogurt for a "whole plant effect."

Activate.JPG

DSCN3349.JPG

DSCN1992 (2).JPG

DSCN0861.JPG

DSCN1738 (2).JPG

DSCN0872 (2).JPG

DSCN0113 (2).JPG

Tincture Kit.JPG

@skirk How many sublingual drops make the job for you?

I take an ounce of prime bud break it up into pretty small little pieces, put back into mason jar screw the lid on just barely back off just a tiny bit so if any pressure builds up it can just leak out.
Put that into a 225⁰ oven for 70 minutes to decarb.
Put the jar in freezer once its cooled.
Pour 650ml of 200 proof food grade grain alcohol into another mason jar and put into freezer.
The next morning I pull both out of freezer and add half the alcohol to the cannabis and stir it up really good and keep in freezer between stirring it about every 10 minutes for a good 30 minutes.
Then put a piece of cheese cloth over the mason jar and screw the ring on and drain alcohol into a 2 cup measuring cup then add the other half of the alcohol into the cannabis for second wash and put back into freezer.
I run first wash through a Buchner filter and then pour into an Extractcraft Source Turbo extractor.
I run it until almost all the alcohol is gone, I leave just enough to where the tincture is about like maple syrup.
So its a strong tincture, no burn from the alcohol when under tongue.
Then run second wash same way.

I can't tolerate the sublingual, too painful for me, hence the yogurt. Starting with a bud content 18% THC, my dosage of 2ml or 40 drops, give me a potency of 38mg THC/ml. That's my sweet spot.
@skirk gotcha ya... Why don't you evaporate everything and then mix it with vegetable oil? This would avoid burning. The proportion floating around for a decent strength is 10 g herb/30 ml oil after full evaporation with an average of 6 drops/dosage (0.5 ml). I've heard it would be possible to do also al second batch. I'll try myself the second batch next time

I take an ounce of prime bud break it up into pretty small little pieces, put back into mason jar screw the lid on just barely back off just a tiny bit so if any pressure builds up it can just leak out.
Put that into a 225⁰ oven for 70 minutes to decarb.
Put the jar in freezer once its cooled.
Pour 650ml of 200 proof food grade grain alcohol into another mason jar and put into freezer.
The next morning I pull both out of freezer and add half the alcohol to the cannabis and stir it up really good and keep in freezer between stirring it about every 10 minutes for a good 30 minutes.
Then put a piece of cheese cloth over the mason jar and screw the ring on and drain alcohol into a 2 cup measuring cup then add the other half of the alcohol into the cannabis for second wash and put back into freezer.
I run first wash through a Buchner filter and then pour into an Extractcraft Source Turbo extractor.
I run it until almost all the alcohol is gone, I leave just enough to where the tincture is about like maple syrup.
So its a strong tincture, no burn from the alcohol when under tongue.
Then run second wash same way.
@Nunyabiz very interesting!

1. Is this the extractor you use? Source Turbo — ExtractCraft How does it work? I couldn't figure out.

2. Why do you use the cheese cloth if the extractor apparently is also doing the filtering?

3. Wouldn't simply evaporating the alcohol do the job? Why using an extractor?

3. Do you then use it as sublingual oil? How many drops? If too dense, do you mix it with vegetable oil?

5. Why do you freeze both alcohol and the herb before mixing them?

6. Do you think the mason jar decarb is indeed preserving the terpenes? If yes, don't you think leaving the lid a bit open can reduce the terpenes?

These would be my initial questions. Thanks!

@Nunyabiz very interesting!

1. Is this the extractor you use? Source Turbo — ExtractCraft How does it work? I couldn't figure out.

2. Why do you use the cheese cloth if the extractor apparently is also doing the filtering?

3. Wouldn't simply evaporating the alcohol do the job? Why using an extractor?

3. Do you then use it as sublingual oil? How many drops? If too dense, do you mix it with vegetable oil?

5. Why do you freeze both alcohol and the herb before mixing them?

6. Do you think the mason jar decarb is indeed preserving the terpenes? If yes, don't you think leaving the lid a bit open can reduce the terpenes?

These would be my initial questions. Thanks!
1. Yes

2. The extractor doesn't filter anything at all, it just takes the filtered alcohol and separates it from the oil, I get 95% of my 200 proof alcohol back to use again.
It does this under a vacuum at less than 105⁰ so it doesn't burn off much terpenes.
I use the cheese cloth just to separate the big chunks of weed, then use the Buchner filter to filter out the tiny impurities so I start with a nice clean alcohol/ oil .

3. Yes I use it as a tincture, how many drops totally depends on how I make it, most times I make a 1:1 oil thats THC/CBD sometimes I also add some CBG other times could be straight THC.
I've never added any other oil I just a tiny amount of the alcohol in it enough that the consistency is like maple syrup.

4/5. I freeze both to limit the amount of chlorophyll, and other such undesirables out of the finished oil.

6. I think it does help some, for instance it leaves no smell in the house when I decarb, keeping it just barely loose just assures that it won't crack from any possible pressure buildup then it can leak past the seal if need be.
If any leaks past its never enough to smell it.

@skirk gotcha ya... Why don't you evaporate everything and then mix it with vegetable oil? This would avoid burning. The proportion floating around for a decent strength is 10 g herb/30 ml oil after full evaporation with an average of 6 drops/dosage (0.5 ml). I've heard it would be possible to do also al second batch. I'll try myself the second batch next time
I don't evaporate. I reduce and reclaim with the Source Turbo you see in the last picture. I enjoy my cup of yogurt/Tinc every evening and just find it less messy than reducing totally. I'm an old and set in my ways.

I don't evaporate. I reduce and reclaim with the Source Turbo you see in the last picture. I enjoy my cup of yogurt/Tinc every evening and just find it less messy than reducing totally. I'm an old and set in my ways.
I do exactly the same.
I reduce down to where the tincture is about like maple syrup.
Much easier to dose drops and its exactly the same everytime.

I've just decarbed 34gr a few minutes ago to put in freezer to make 15ml of strong tincture tomorrow.

I do exactly the same.
I reduce down to where the tincture is about like maple syrup.
Much easier to dose drops and its exactly the same everytime.

I've just decarbed 34gr a few minutes ago to put in freezer to make 15ml of strong tincture tomorrow.
@Nunyabiz do basically you take off the alcool and keep it a little bit or add oil to be like maple syrup? And at this dosage how many drops? I'm trying different alternative s now since I can't smoke or vape coz it's too much irritation for me. I'm just trying to get the right dosage. I've mason jar decarbed 2 batches of 5 gr for about 1 hr at about 110 C/225F and then added alcohol 95%. I did a batch earlier and evaporated almost all alcohol but it was too weak and needed 20 drops. I'd like to rake 5-6 drops max. What is a good concentration? How many ml every 5 or 10 gr?

The dosage is going to change with every batch.
Depends on the strains.
Also the person, I give my wife 9 drops in the morning, she has Fibromyalgia.
I on the other hand would only need about 2 drops of that same oil.

So there's really no such thing as a standard dose for every person.

And I just evaporate just the right amount of alcohol out to where it's like maple syrup I never add a carrier oil.

The dosage is going to change with every batch.
Depends on the strains.
Also the person, I give my wife 9 drops in the morning, she has Fibromyalgia.
I on the other hand would only need about 2 drops of that same oil.

So there's really no such thing as a standard dose for every person.

And I just evaporate just the right amount of alcohol out to where it's like maple syrup I never add a carrier oil.
@Nunyabiz but how can you get just the oil? When I evaporate the alcohol, there's a solid resin remaining on the plate and i have to make it fluid again adding a little bit of vegetable oil. If I keep some liquid at the end is going to be with alcool residues

Then why are you evaporating ALL of the alcohol out.
STOP the process when its still able to be sucked up by a dropper when cold.
Why do you care that there is about 10 drops of food grade alcohol left?
Ok. Is this a better way to preserve it rather then evaporate nearly 100% and then mix it with a bit of oil? Another aspect for long term conservation is evaporation. Alcohol evaporates. I almost never drink and my gin bottles have been sitting in the same place for a few years and they are almost at the end without me having used them nearly because of evaporation. Don't you think pure oil would be a better storage vehicle than alcohol?

Nope, the tiny amount of alcohol left in it as long as the top is not left off of it will stay suspended in the oil for decades.
An alcohol tincture will last for decades in the fridge.
So basically when you get the tincture for sublingual you suck it with the glass pipe from the bottom without mixing it first? So you just get the oil? That's the way to do it?

@skirk have you ever done the cold method? I've heard decarb 160 F for 4 hours, is that correct?
There's a friend who says that it could be interesting also to decarb at 160F with the green in the alcohol already but I think this would be a bit dangerous, wouldn't be? Apologies for keep asking but I'm living in a place where growing unfortunately is (still) illegal and I can't waste material. I need to use it 100%

Back
Top Bottom