Complete Newbie

Yay got some new leaves looking pretty good and healthy and my new one has sprouted a little Ive only got one light tho is that enough?
20151103_094812.jpg
20151103_094835.jpg

Only problem I have at the moment is trying to keep them warm when the lights are off as there is no heater in the cuboard I noticed today when I went to turn the lights back on that it felt a bit cold in the grow tent any suggestions

Only problem I have at the moment is trying to keep them warm when the lights are off as there is no heater in the cuboard I noticed today when I went to turn the lights back on that it felt a bit cold in the grow tent any suggestions

Thermometer.

So was checking on the progress of my second plant and noticed that even though the shell had popped off there was still some sort of skin wrapped round the head preventing the leaves from opening so I've gently pulled it off and the leaves have unfurled was this wise to do?
1446592282048-1754303806.jpg

Just putting up a couple of photos to show progress my 2nd plant I transferred into a bigger pot today although I might of done it too soon hopefully it won't be too shocked
IMG_20151108_232002.jpg
IMG_20151108_231846.jpg

I see stress from transplanting too early. It is also the cause of the yellowing that you are seeing.. your already stressed roots went into shock from the transplant, and you are not yet uptaking the nitrogen that your plant so desperately needs. Keep watering correctly, letting her dry out to the bottom each time, and she will recover. Putting her in a big pot so early did not help things however... it is best to wait till a good solid rootball has formed.

doesnt look like something to worry about.YOu feed em?

Don't feed young plants. Nutrients are not food, they are vitamins for healthy plants. The soil and the organics breaking down inside of it are the food that your plants need. Trust your soil, and you just transplanted into a bunch of new fresh soil too... your plants have everything they need... water correctly and they will be able to get it.

I've been watering them using tap water is that OK and I havnt watered them in about 4 days as the soil still looks moist and what do you mean about the nitrogen?

I've been watering them using tap water is that OK and I havnt watered them in about 4 days as the soil still looks moist and what do you mean about the nitrogen?

Nitrogen is the current macronutrient. Your plants need more of this than anything else at the moment, but that light green look tells me that they are not getting all of it that they need. Does this mean that you need to add something? No. Absolutely not. Your symptoms are easily explained... you were overwatering before and now you rushed an up-potting, stressing already stressed roots even more.

Tap water is fine, especially now when pH is not as much of a factor... nitrogen is mobile over a very wide range of pH. As the plant's needs become more complicated however, dialing in that pH to the right range becomes ever more important... but let's not worry so much about that right now. Right now you need to get your roots out of stasis... you got to let them dry out. Looking moist means nothing, and if you are trying to determine when to water by looking at or even feeling the top 2 inches of your soil, you are going to have troubles. If you can't determine when to water using the lift method, invest in a cheap wet/moist meter at your local walmart or hardware store, and use it to figure out when your water table reaches the BOTTOM inch of your container... before you water again.

Get rid of this notion of "feeding" too. Soil is the food. Store bought nutrients are vitamins that applied incorrectly and too early can kill. You don't need nutrients until well into flower, when they are much much bigger.

Miracle Gro is a bad choice!

IMG_47502.jpg

This is an image from my first grow.. eek... Miracle Gro = bad stuff, man.

Remember: Cannabis plants possess enough nutrition to last them at least two weeks of vegging before they require feeding. Of course, you still hvae to provide a comfortable atmosphere and proper hydration, but you can hold back on any nutes until she tells you she is hungry.

Over time you will develop the sense to know when your plants are hungry, not thriving, etc., which makes cannabis extremely... unique and fucking amazing?

Poppin' my corn as we speak.

Good luck, friend!

Subbing in to this. Nice to see a fellow UK grow and doing it for an amazing reason, kudos to you sir.

Bargain on the tent mind may have to look in to that on ebay.

I know theres a temptation to fiddle with everything to get them going great but patience is key, just remember to let it do its own thing and she'll tell you what she wants when she needs it, just keep her nice and warm and give her a drink every now and then.

Keep in mind I am learning on the fly however I will share a tap water problem that I haven't seen addressed yet. I too was using "tap" water but had several issues until someone nailed me down on my water,,,, then it got complicated!
It was tap water, but it was from a well, then it went through a water softener, then a Tannin conditioner before getting to the faucets in my house. Both of those conditioners require a good deal of Salt Pellets to function properly and they evidently found their way into my plants via the tap. The pH levels were completely different as well so I now go outside and fill containers from a faucet right off the well before entering the house. Just sayin.....all tap water is not equal, and it's something to keep in mind.
As I'm finding, something as simple as water can be very complicated when it comes to the grow room :)
Good luck.

Cheers for all the info I think I'll need to purchase a fan so there's a good circulation of air as at the moment my cheap one broke on the first day so will have a gander at some places tomoz see if I can find a decent one at a reasonable price

So first plant looking OK I think went out and got some plant food today one that was high in nitrogen I'll add that when its due its next watering the second plans hasn't really grown that much although that's me down to foolishly moving it too soon so I think it's in shock I just hope she can recover

Back
Top Bottom