Complete Newbie

You will want at least 4-6 of them in total -- more is always better, especially for flowering. You can't have too many, and they need to stay really close to the plants - in fact, the coverage of the plant is more important than the number. You don't want any shaded spots. And they need to be mostly warm white for flowering, though many people like having a mix of colour temperatures so they cover the spectrum better.

There are lots of numbers associated with CFL lights:

Actual watts: 23w, 40w, 42w. This is the amount of energy/power/intensity of the light. Very important.

Equivalent watts: usually about 4x the actual watts. This is just for consumers, to give them a reference for how bright the light will seem compared to incandescents, it has no meaning for the plants.

K - colour temperature: Very important. We want to use cool K temperatures for vegging (from 5000K to 6500K) and warm K temperatures for flowering (2700K). You will see them labelled as cool white or warm white. There are lots of grows being journaled here using CFLs -- check a few out!

Lumens: Not quite so useful for us. It's another way of measuring brightness, but it only refers to the light humans can see.

Here's a quote from Fuzzy Duck regarding lumens/watts:

Lumens per square foot:

Minimum amount of lighting needed is around 2000 lumens per square foot.
(Two – 23 watt CFL’s, per square foot*)

Mid range is around 5000 lumens per square foot.
(Three - 23 watt CFL’s, per square foot*)

Optimal is 7000-7500, or higher, lumens per square foot.
(Five – 23 watt CFL’s, per square foot*)

*I’m only using CFLs as a reference here, with the assumption they’re kept at a distance of 3 – 5 inches from the plant. It is important to understand that the “penetration” (the farthest measure that quality light reaches down into the plant canopy) will at best be only a few inches deep.

Watts per square foot (wattage per sq ft WILL vary by light source):

Minimum wattage per sq ft.: 30w
Mid Range wattage per sq ft.: 50w
Optimal Range wattage per sq ft.: 50-80w

So I got another couple of cfl lights from the local garden shop and a digital timer so I wouldn't have to keep turning on and off myself as there where a couple of times I was late back anyway the plants have gotten pretty big now and the auto afghan is short about 14-16 inches but nice and bushy I'm now in flower mode and lights have been changed gradually to a 12-12 another few weeks and hopefully I'll have a decent harvest then Ill have to work out whether to try and make cbd oil out of it or just put it the father in laws dinner
20151216_222438.jpg

So I've been away for a few days and I'm pretty impressed with my little plants I thought something would go wrong or they would get lonely and decide to pack there bags and wander off in sadness but no they look good and have all that sparkly stuff on the leaves
IMG_20151225_002746.jpg

Not too bad Dr Bob I have it in flower mode just over 2 weeks now and the plant has just exploded all the pistils are still white so just waiting for them to turn brown although I don't think it will be a big harvest as it just seems the top half is the bud with little buds on other leaves I've seen YouTube videos where the plant looks like one big bud

Well I'm going to be getting some lights tomorrow that are solely for flowering although unsure to stick with cfl or go with led's as I've read and been told on here that light is very important so if I change the lights I have just now for flowering lights I'm hoping that will increase the yield also good news as me and my brother in law decided to ask his friend who is a grower for some "medicine " until ours was ready as it would take too long to grow and his father was only given 2 months left to live well since we started him on it his appetite has come back has finally started putting weight back on and is feeling more energetic and the time frame giving by the doctors passed 2 weeks ago so here is hoping that continues but I have to say I think it's purely down to cannibis it has to be as those improvements have only come about since we started this :)

Well that is good news! Nothing is better than seeing a sick loved one able to eat again. May it continue to improve with food.

On the light front, as much as you can muster. I am a user of CFLs for veg cycle and LED for flower. But, the more light the better in general.

Bob

Hi guys how is everyone
Aye so was doing a wee bit oh trimming when I accidentally cut into the main stem about a quarter of the way in will this kill the plant or will it heal itself
20160114_234740.jpg

One of my kids favorite videos is an old one from the 80s about a kid named Wee Gillis that has to decide whether to live in the highlands or the lowlands in Scotland. It is based of a book of the same name. The kid decides to play the pipes instead. Smart kid.

Bob

Hope all is well in your world.

Is this grow still alive?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read our Photo Gallery Tutorial.

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom