Completely new grower in need of help ASAP

yoyo814

hi guys, i'm extremely happy I stumbled across this site. I've had a couple plants growing indoors for quite a few months now. I cut clones from both of them to continue the cycle in my house year round. I got the cloning process down pretty good at this point by trial and error, so i'm ready to start "budding" the one mother that is already 6 ft tall.

From my research I think the 12/12 cycle seems to be the most stable if nothing else, is this true?? I'm not interested in wives tales or trials at this point as i've waited to long and just want a good crop to smoke:grinjoint:

I'd be more than happy to play around with the 30+ clones I have rooted right now. I'm not really hoping they all make that because thats WAY too many for just me, but i'll kill some off if I have to. I just wanted to try different ways to see what worked best and figured it can't hurt to keep them all until they're 100% stable and ready to grow without constant care.

But anyways with that, with this plant I want to work with right now, should i simply have it on a 12/12 cycle??

How long on aaverage should it be before i start seeing some good buds??

How do I know when it's at its fullest potential??

I know some of this is probably trial and error as well, but I know there also has to be some definite do's and don'ts and I love to hear anyones input.

Thanks in advance!!

From what I understand, 12/12 is great. You should see mature buds in anywhere from 55-75 days. This really depends on the strain you are working with.

Someone will set me straight if I am wrong here :) I don't have near the experience of most people here, but this is from what I have read.

Good Luck :)

Why would you want to flower the mother. The point of the mother plant is to cut clones off and flower those(yes under 12/12). Beware a 6' tall plant could become enormous when you begin flowering, they grow more then you begin to flower. Harvest time depends entirely on strain, you could harvest as soon as 60 days or as long as 100 days of flower, it all depends on strain. If you don't know strain it is a general rule of thumb when about 50% of the trichomes(crystals) turn amber in color, you need a 30x mag glass to see this clearly.

thanks for the response already guys!

To answer the one question, i originally wasn't going to flower the mother and keep it strictly for propogation, however I realized A) I've been waiting a long time already and want some budd's, lol and B) I already have a bunch of this strain rooted in my clones so I will just cut new clippings off one of those as they get bigger, thus giving me a fresh mother to work with every cycle, I know its a little more risky, but all in all I think it will work.

I am aware the plant can get even bigger, and I am concerned about that. As much as i wanted to stray from rumors and old wives tales I have heard clipping the main stock towards the top can produce a "coke bottle" type budd on the top of the plant, is this true?? Would this make it bush out more instead of just shooting up and up??

Thanks guys!!!

PS would a digital camera with at least a 30X zoom be able to pick up the trichomes??

Yeapper, may get weaker. Lower yeild.
Lot a strange stuff can happen :3;

Indoor 6 foot Moma,
have to agree with flowering her.
Good Gawd !!! I hope he has room for a 12 footer :cheesygrinsmiley:
I can think of worse problems :cheesygrinsmiley:

I have heard clipping the main stock towards the top can produce a "coke bottle" type budd on the top of the plant, is this true??
Actually, if I understand you, Not clipping the top/Topping will produce a Main cola. That where the coke bottle thang came from.
And Yes if you top the plant she will bush, if her genes will let her. Some strains don't take to topping.
Don't do this if you are planning to flower, soon. It could take a week or better for her to restart growing.

would a digital camera with at least a 30X zoom be able to pick up the trichomes??
Not really, not enough to tell the color.

ok, so then next time around i should keep one and let it "grow up" and use that for the cuttings from here on out till she dies in 10 years or so?? lol

I doubt i'll be doing this that long, but i thought a fresh cutting would be stronger, I hate how theres so much back and forth, but I know a lot does depend on environment, strain etc....

So then I should actually go buy a magnifying glass?? That's probably cheaper than a camera anyway, but thanks again guys!!!

Oh and I hope it really doesn't get 12 feet, lol, that would literally be touching my ceiling!! But like you said that will NOT be my worst problem by anymeans:cheesygrinsmiley:

Your best bet is to read a few grow journals here on 420. The reason so many of us have any knowledge at all is because of this community that risks everything to share their growing pains....and in the end pleasures. There is an abundance of information here that is free for the taking. Read a few journals and 80 percent of your questions can be answered with pictures,too! :cheesygrinsmiley:

Your best bet is to read a few grow journals here on 420. The reason so many of us have any knowledge at all is because of this community that risks everything to share their growing pains....and in the end pleasures. There is an abundance of information here that is free for the taking. Read a few journals and 80 percent of your questions can be answered with pictures,too! :cheesygrinsmiley:

Thanks!! I love that theres a group on here open enough to share all of this, as i'm sure most of us are firm believers of the goodness that can come from this stuff. Not saying its healthy for you but what is these days, anyways, thanks again guys, i really appreciate it!!

should keep one and let it "grow up" and use that for the cuttings
Unless Ya' got the acrage for More :cheesygrinsmiley:
That's just the way I do Thangs.

buy a magnifying glass?
A jewler's lope or anything around 50x or better. Radio shack carries a hand held microscope(30x - 100x) for 20US$
Now that's for lookin' if you want to shoot pics of them,
you want a Micro lens or setting.

hope it really doesn't get 12 feet, lol, that would literally be touching my ceiling
You could teach her to get horizontal.

Before you try and bear the fruits of your labor by going 12/12 you should do a very good pruning. That way when you flower it will focus completely on flowering and not healing. Just a thought. Here go a few more that are floating around in my domepiece: I would practice the topping on a couple clones, same with any other technique you read up on. That way you can see which is more productive for you. Kind of trial and error. Any photos of this tall drink of water?

Back
Top Bottom