Composted humus/manure tea. Safe to use?

ds8802

i just recenty started up a decent-sized batch (about 12-15 gallons) of compost tea with the following ingredients and ratios:

About four liters of this:
-80% compost/humus
-20% manure
Sitting in 10-12 gallons of oxygenated, purified H2O.

It's been going for about a week and i have yet to use it, as the following shall explain...

It's all organic and has been composting for well over a year and a half so i don't think that the presence of manure alone shoud be a problem, seeing as it's had plenty of time to be completely broken down and should be free of any harmful pathogens, parasites, etc.

However, i am a little worried about the possible detrimental effects of the seemingly high level of sodium that came with said manure. i've read more than once that manure can be especially high in salts and can consequently cause problems with nutrient lockout (too much sodium will lock up potassium and that's never a good thing).

Does anyone know if a mixture of 20% manure would be too high in salt?
Is there any safe (and preferably organic) way to desalinate it without altogether ruining it?
i really would like to be able to use it, just because it's so rich in humus and the subsequent humic acid that my plants probably have way too little of. But on the same token, what good is it to feed them something for the benefits of humic acid if it's also going to lock up and therefor deprive them of one of the most essential nutrients they need (K), especially in their current state. (2nd week of flowering) Of course i'd rather just go buy them a for-sure safe humic & fulvic acid treatment from a store but alas, i'm on a very tight budget and currently very, very broke.

Am i freaking out over nothing or should i just not even bother with it?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. i want to give my girls everything they need but due to my current lack of funding, i'm having to ghetto-rig a lot of this operation, which has been working out well so far but i'm really not sure about this.

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies. :slide:

Back
Top Bottom