Confessions of a professional dope taster, 1975

This article called "confessions of a professional dope taster" appeared in High Times, spring 1975.
Funny stuff, I'd thought I share it :tokin:

Oaxacan- has a minty taste and is also spicy. It tingles the taste buds. The minty taste allows the throat to stay open, which means you draw more smoke into your lungs without coughing it out. Its quite airy considering its power

Culiacan- has that airiness but not the power.

Santa Marta Gold- Excellent intellectual high. Very creative. Very sophisticated high, but not particularly psychedelic like the best mexican- this grass would be good for an intellectual fuck- like amind body communion.

Lowland columbian- knocks you out but doesn't get you high. In other words the narcotizing effect overwhelms the psychoactive effect.

Jamaican-is good for fucking- its very stimulating.

Hawaiian-hypnotic intensity-an extremely dramatic pot. Few people could finish a joint-people would sit transfixed by the sheer power of the stuff- a high grass, lots of top end-mental

Wacky weed- a special kind of columbian- has produced so much resin that it has stifled itself and died- that's why its black sometimes. Wacky weed is total. It makes you laugh it makes everything absurd, it reduces you're body to jelly- not anti intellectual, but its not exactly cerebral either. Sort of reminds me of quaaludes. Wacky weed is physical stuff-i've literaly seen people go into cardiac arrest.

Thai- to give me momentum to get off the ground and climbing

Top Mexican-astral

Punta Roja- from the Cali Hills of Columbia- dark green with red streaks-little taste but 8% thc truly hallucinogenic-psychedelic rather than wirey

Santa Marta Gold 6-8% THC- stimulating, gets you wired-not psychedelic like punta roja

Lowland Columbian (columbian or panama red) red to red brown- from the llanos area and elsewhere-sleepy,narcotic

Columbian Green-from the are near the columbian panamanian border-very high rainfall. Nearly black-harsh on the throat-about like good mexican or hawaiian.

Hawaiian-generally grown from thai seeds so equal to the best Thai.

Thai- hallucinogenis at its best- definitely stronger than columbian Gold.

Nepales-harsh and not tasty, so make hash out of it

:Namaste:

:bump: I used to buy High Times back then. I remember Boobs with chocolate pored over them, on the issue cover. My Dad found it and ranted for 20 min how chocolate covered boobs would ruin my life. :wood:
Well THC has gone up and so has the quality of reviews. :peace:

Growing some Thai at the moment. Last smoked Thai around 1980 so I will see how it compares. Seeds were from a vendor so I hope they havent hybridized it.

I really like their strain articles. I do believe it was Ed Rosenthal that wrote them but I am not sure. They would consist of 2 or 3 pages on the strain. How it smokes, and basic history mostly.

I did find a old 80's HT magazine a few years back. It was cool to reread. I found a article in it that explained a lot. Growing up we had lots of Thai stick where I grew up in Oregon. There was a article about a major drug bust in Salem Oregon. "60 miles away". I found out most the Thai stick on the west coast was coming in through there. That explains why I know you could wrap a 1 1/4 Zig Zag around the small ones and pull the stick out. Ready to smoke joint LMAO.

There was a article about a major drug bust in Salem Oregon. "60 miles away". I found out most the Thai stick on the west coast was coming in through there. That explains why I know you could wrap a 1 1/4 Zig Zag around the small ones and pull the stick out. Ready to smoke joint LMAO.

All along the I-5 corridor was a hub basically, back when the Mob controlled most things that were sold (or in any sort of larger quantities anyway). Sounds like we was in the same neck of the woods ;) :rofl: :rofl:

I have been noticing that Dwight LOL. I loved growing up on the west coast. Between Northern Cal and Oregon I got a great weed education at a early age. Moving to the middle of the country was a real let down LOL.

I have to admit I didn't get out much when I lived in Salem. All my time there was spent at the MacLaren School for Boys LMAO.

I have been noticing that Dwight LOL. I loved growing up on the west coast. Between Northern Cal and Oregon I got a great weed education at a early age. Moving to the middle of the country was a real let down LOL.

I have to admit I didn't get out much when I lived in Salem. All my time there was spent at the MacLaren School for Boys LMAO.

Wish I had been smart and put some effort into my "weed education" back in those days (albeit the grower I got a bunch of stuff from for awhile wasn't real big on teaching as he was so paranoid), I was too busy trying to stay as far away from "reality" as possible and kept myself in a fog ;) :rofl: . Until I decided minimum wage jobs weren't cutting it and ended up getting out of that scene for a couple decades due to random UA's at places I worked. The late 70's early 80's back when "green seedless bud" only came around certain times of the year allowed us to try some of the now landrace strains when they would come thru town as better than the dirt weed, though back then I didn't understand they were actually different strains and not just weed named after a Country/Region ;) :rofl:

Oaxacan was my favorite growing up. It showed up a lot when I was in junior high school. Yes I started early lol. It was the first 1 finger bag of weed I ever bought. Back before they weighed pot it was sold in finger size bags "for those to young to remember" 4 finger bag was a ounce. That and the Thai sticks was what I remeber. Not many seeds in the Oaxacan from what I remember I don't remember any at all in the Thai stick. Still wish I had some of those watermelon looking seeds in the Oaxacan.

Back
Top Bottom