Confused about cannabis oil

I'm a cheap date.

I am blessed with getting the results I'm after with low doses. I also always take both thc and cbd, which helps them both work more effectively.

The little droppers I have are 25 drops per ml. So 9 drops is just under a third so its a 10 mg dose. Id say thats a medium size dose. High for me low for many.

Do you know what the oil is? Some absorb better than others.

Cannabinoids will help the opiates work better so you may want to consider starting a reduction plan.

I dont know if having a lot of opiates in your system hides the cannabis results, but someone will.

Oldbear, below is the oil I have. Also, I smoked my first joint ever last night, (1/3 gram of indica, at 16% THC) and it barely affected me at all... as in I really had to think about whether I was actually feeling anything at all! I'm confused. I would have thought that my first time smoking would have knocked me right off my feet, same with the oil. Sheesh!

Glen

Screenshot_20181112-141549_Chrome.jpg

haha Just saw your last posted while I was typing this:

I think I found what you are taking. It comes with this description:

To make a long story short, we used a blend of sativa-dominant strains to create this unique cannabis oil.Our oils are made with cannabis extract and organic, non-GMO, coconut-derived MCT oil and cannot be smoked or vaporized.

Coconut is an ok choice. The big unknown of course is if the bottle really contains the strength that the label says. Since its a govt store and the product comes from a Licensed Producer, it should be close. But you never know ......

Oldbear, below is the oil I have. Also, I smoked my first joint ever last night, (1/3 gram of indica, at 16% THC) and it barely affected me at all... as in I really had to think about whether I was actually feeling anything at all! I'm confused. I would have thought that my first time smoking would have knocked me right off my feet, same with the oil. Sheesh!
Glen

Its very hard to describe a persons reaction to cannabis. Can you explain what you are / were expecting it to be?

Its very hard to describe a persons reaction to cannabis. Can you explain what you are / were expecting it to be?

Well, as I said above, I had just assumed that after several minutes of 30mg/ml THC oil (9 drops) under my tongue I would feel something. Anything. And even a couple hours after I swallowed it down I felt maybe just the very tiniest of a "buzz"... the way one might feel a very slight something after taking a Tylenol #3, I guess. And it was about the same after smoking. I dunno, I just assumed that a cannabis virgin like myself would really have to take things easy in the beginning and gradually work my way up, but jeez, how much would I really have to take to get to where I feel a "high"?

Glen

ha,, a slight bit amusing reading these last posts,,

laughing with,, not at,,

all about finding your dosage,, thru experimentation,, wheee,, sounds like the sixties,, cept for me its the age sixties now, haha

glad to hear you tried smoking,, just to have a variety of experiments,, might i ask,, have you ever smoked cigs?

for new smokers its more difficult to take the big hits and hold it in for a few secs,, but should only need a few tokes to feel it for sure

you seemingly have a high cannabis tolerance,, no reason you should not have,, everyone is different,, and you might be right about your previous opioid intake getting in the way

and to stress this boring point one more time,, no where on the label does it say what kind of thc is in the bottle,, just how much of it

there is a lot to this ingesting stuff and many on here who know a messa bout it. oldbear obviously and sweetsue,, perhaps look her up,, she is incredibly helpful,, and knowledgeable

might even be the coconut oil that is getting in the way,,,

no vape machine yet?? you will enjoy that i am sure,, again,, once you figure out your tolerance

oh,, and the hangover,, yes,, even in my tiny circle of knowledge about edibles,, i have experienced the hangover,, edibles can sometimes do a bit of a number on the tummy too,, empty or full.

again,, all very minor side affects,, imo

karma sent friend,, be a scientist with this,, its fun,, perhaps a white coat for christmas,, ha

cheers

ha,, a slight bit amusing reading these last posts,,

laughing with,, not at,,

all about finding your dosage,, thru experimentation,, wheee,, sounds like the sixties,, cept for me its the age sixties now, haha

glad to hear you tried smoking,, just to have a variety of experiments,, might i ask,, have you ever smoked cigs?

for new smokers its more difficult to take the big hits and hold it in for a few secs,, but should only need a few tokes to feel it for sure

you seemingly have a high cannabis tolerance,, no reason you should not have,, everyone is different,, and you might be right about your previous opioid intake getting in the way

and to stress this boring point one more time,, no where on the label does it say what kind of thc is in the bottle,, just how much of it

there is a lot to this ingesting stuff and many on here who know a messa bout it. oldbear obviously and sweetsue,, perhaps look her up,, she is incredibly helpful,, and knowledgeable

might even be the coconut oil that is getting in the way,,,

no vape machine yet?? you will enjoy that i am sure,, again,, once you figure out your tolerance

oh,, and the hangover,, yes,, even in my tiny circle of knowledge about edibles,, i have experienced the hangover,, edibles can sometimes do a bit of a number on the tummy too,, empty or full.

again,, all very minor side affects,, imo

karma sent friend,, be a scientist with this,, its fun,, perhaps a white coat for christmas,, ha

cheers

Haha thanks for that, nivek! Nope, I have never smoked cigarettes before, but was able to inhale the smoke and hold it for a bit, so I was pretty proud that I didn't cough up a lung or two right from the get-go! The Missus took a few hits and about 5 minutes later proclaimed she felt "high as a kite", so I felt a bit ripped off! Oh, and we are both in our mid-50's.

Nope, no vaporizer yet, but we can see from the CP tracking number that it is now in New Brunswick, so it should not be too long, depending on the "weather bomb" which is forecast to hit our island on Wednesday/Thursday. (Weather Network is calling for some crazy winds... from 85 up to 135 km/hour!) So if the ferries get docked, we may not see the vaporizer until sometime next week.

Now I am off to Ebay to look for a white coat.

Glen

Screenshot_20181112-154130_Weather Network.jpg

Hey there, my friend in pain. I've had chronic headaches since 2007, and I've been medicating heavily with opioids and other meds to stay afloat in the sea of pain. Some days I couldn't even walk due to the pain, even though I was full of opioids. However, since a few years back I am totally free of using the nasty opioids and all other meds apart from normal Ibuprofen that I take a few times a month when I really have to. Other than that it's all taken care of by cannabis. I feel better than ever after kicking those opioids habits.
I think cannabis will help you with your pain. Try to aim at reducing your other meds, and hopefully one day you can get rid of all of them completely.
I used to smoke from morning until night, but now I'm vaping 95% of the time. I occasionally smoke, but I try to avoid it. I make different edibles that also helps a lot. Yesterday I made chocolates of my AVB (the left-over weed after you've used it in a vaporiser). It's a good idea to save the AVB. Whenever I have about 50 grams of it, I make something edible of it. The easiest to make is just infused coconut oil that you can take in any way you want. It's great in the coffee for example. But now I can take a piece of chocolate with my coffee instead.
I haven't tried any tinctures or any oils or creams to apply to the skin.

Hey there, my friend in pain. I've had chronic headaches since 2007, and I've been medicating heavily with opioids and other meds to stay afloat in the sea of pain. Some days I couldn't even walk due to the pain, even though I was full of opioids. However, since a few years back I am totally free of using the nasty opioids and all other meds apart from normal Ibuprofen that I take a few times a month when I really have to. Other than that it's all taken care of by cannabis. I feel better than ever after kicking those opioids habits.
I think cannabis will help you with your pain. Try to aim at reducing your other meds, and hopefully one day you can get rid of all of them completely.
I used to smoke from morning until night, but now I'm vaping 95% of the time. I occasionally smoke, but I try to avoid it. I make different edibles that also helps a lot. Yesterday I made chocolates of my AVB (the left-over weed after you've used it in a vaporiser). It's a good idea to save the AVB. Whenever I have about 50 grams of it, I make something edible of it. The easiest to make is just infused coconut oil that you can take in any way you want. It's great in the coffee for example. But now I can take a piece of chocolate with my coffee instead.
I haven't tried any tinctures or any oils or creams to apply to the skin.

Hi nickeluring, I am likely repeating myself here, but yeah I have been taking daily doses of Percocet (Oxycodone) and Tylenol #3 (Codeine) since taking a very bad fall in the workplace some 14 years ago, when I fell through some scaffolding and, among other injuries, I crushed my upper vertebrae (C-1 thru C-6) beyond repair, causing me to be bedridden for about 20 hours/day, every day since 2004. (and during those four remaining "good" hours each day, well this only means that I am laid out on the sofa most of that time, rather than in my actual bed) And in more recent years I have also been suffering from PMR, (Polymyalgia Rheumatica) for which I must take Prednisone. (though thankfully, mercifully, I have weaned down to a much safer 5mg/day... it's at the same time a miracle drug for this disease, as well as a curse, as it can cause all sorts of really nasty and permanent side effects if taken for the long term in higher doses)

So my plan is to, hopefully, slowly wean off the opioids (or at the very least be able to reduce my daily dose) by using cannabis. As I am totally new to this whole weed thing, and as anyone who has been following my posts can clearly see, I have a lot of learning to do, and lots of experimentation, to get to the correct doseage, and there are always a lot of questions needing answers, and thanks to the many fine folks on this forum, like yourself, who have a wealth of knowledge in this field to offer us newbs, I have already learned quite a bit, so at the risk of sounding just a little bit mushy, I want to thank each and every one of you for your kindness, support and patience; it is very much appreciated!

Nickeluring, your own story of successfully weaning off of the opioids is very encouraging news for me indeed. I don't take large doses of them, (averaging just 2 Perc's and 4 Tyl #3's daily) and to date they (and the Prednisone) have been the only drugs that have given me any measureable amount of pain relief over all these years. (having tried everything under the sun except cannabis) But I know that even small amounts of opioids taken long term can be very difficult to get off of, so I have been researching the plan to wean off them by using cannabis. So naturally I am particularly interested in hearing more from you on this subject, sir. Such as your methods, (smoking/vaping/oils, etc) doseage, total length of time it took, etc. It will be interesting to see if it will be possible to also get some relief from the PMR, as I think the sooner I can get off the Prednisone the better. The doctors all say that this serious condition seems to go away on its own after 1 to 3 years, but I have had it for over 5 years now, and with even my very small (5mg/day) Pred dose, when I have tried to slowly wean down to even just half a mg less/day, the joint pain (mainly in the hips and shoulders) becomes just unbearable after less than one day. My doctor assures me that I should be OK with taking the 5mg of Prednisone daily. But still... yeah it would be so nice to no longer be taking this scary stuff at all.

Those chocolates look delicious! Sorry to hear about your flu bug, but once you are back to normal you must report back with your taste-test results. This is something else that I just learned today... I had no idea that one could use the leftover weed from vaping to make goodies like that! I would have assumed that all of the "goodness" would be used up by the vaping.

Thanks again,
Glen

OK, I just took 12 drops under the tongue and we'll see what transpires... I'll keep it there for 10-15 minutes before swallowing, but if it's anything like last time, (9 drops) I likely won't feel much of anything for a good two hours yet. Sheesh, if it's going to take a truckload of cannabis just to give me a bit of a buzz, it could become an awfully expensive hobby!! Looks like I need to speed up our plans for the new 18'x30' outbuilding. I just might be able to grow enough in a space that size to keep me and the Missus satisfied...

Glen

I'm still not really well, so those chocolate treats don't look so tasty today either unfortunately...tomorrow I should be ready to face them, though.

Ok, so my pain comes from a whiplash injury in my neck. It's a mess in the neck and the nerves get squashed, which sends a lot of pain signals to the brain. My neurologist tried all kinds of medicines, and in the end I was taking Tramadol, codeine, and Lyrica daily.
When quitting my meds, I have chosen the hard but quick way. I just stopped taking it, and then I suffered badly for between 2 weeks and a month. During this time I smoked a lot of weed all day long. It helped me getting through the withdrawals, but it was still pretty bad. Lyrica and Tramadol are horrible to give up. And due to the fact that my withdrawal symptoms were so bad, I don't want to see any of those pills again. If I'd break a leg tomorrow, there's no way I'd take any opioids for the pain.They'd hook me straight away, and then I'd have a few weeks of horrible withdrawals again. I know because it happened a couple of years ago when I broke my wrist.
First I stopped taking Codeine. This wasn't too bad. Then I gave up Lyrica, and it was pretty bad for about a month. Then I stopped taking Tramadol, and they'd have me shivering for a few weeks.
I didn't involve any doctors when I quit taking my meds. I was travelling at the time, and I just wanted to get rid of them. I wouldn't recommend you to do the same with your meds, but try to reduce one of them a bit and see if Cannabis can make up for it. I assume you need to medicate with Cannabis from morning until night. Edibles are especially good for this since their effect lasts longer than smoking/vaping, they take a while to kick in though.
Now I mostly vape and eat since I was smoking a lot and my lungs weren't too happy. I still roll the occasional joint when I want a little extra effect

And regarding using the AVB for edibles; this is from memory from what I've read, I can't remember exact numbers, but when you smoke you use 30 something % of the THC, and when vaping 40 something %. When you smoke, most goes up in flames, and when vaping it stays in the AVB. Absorbing the THC in oil is more effective, so it'll suck the rest of the THC out of the AVB if you soak it long enough with a little bit of heat.
You can also smoke the AVB, but it tastes like shit and I'd only do it if desperate.

I'm still not really well, so those chocolate treats don't look so tasty today either unfortunately...tomorrow I should be ready to face them, though.

Ok, so my pain comes from a whiplash injury in my neck. It's a mess in the neck and the nerves get squashed, which sends a lot of pain signals to the brain. My neurologist tried all kinds of medicines, and in the end I was taking Tramadol, codeine, and Lyrica daily.
When quitting my meds, I have chosen the hard but quick way. I just stopped taking it, and then I suffered badly for between 2 weeks and a month. During this time I smoked a lot of weed all day long. It helped me getting through the withdrawals, but it was still pretty bad. Lyrica and Tramadol are horrible to give up. And due to the fact that my withdrawal symptoms were so bad, I don't want to see any of those pills again. If I'd break a leg tomorrow, there's no way I'd take any opioids for the pain.They'd hook me straight away, and then I'd have a few weeks of horrible withdrawals again. I know because it happened a couple of years ago when I broke my wrist.
First I stopped taking Codeine. This wasn't too bad. Then I gave up Lyrica, and it was pretty bad for about a month. Then I stopped taking Tramadol, and they'd have me shivering for a few weeks.
I didn't involve any doctors when I quit taking my meds. I was travelling at the time, and I just wanted to get rid of them. I wouldn't recommend you to do the same with your meds, but try to reduce one of them a bit and see if Cannabis can make up for it. I assume you need to medicate with Cannabis from morning until night. Edibles are especially good for this since their effect lasts longer than smoking/vaping, they take a while to kick in though.
Now I mostly vape and eat since I was smoking a lot and my lungs weren't too happy. I still roll the occasional joint when I want a little extra effect

Yeah I've been told that quitting any opioids "cold turkey" (particularly after long-term use) can actually be quite dangerous, so I plan to wean off of them very gradually, if the cannabis will allow me to.

So, you will recall my mentioning that I had increased my oil dose to 12 drops last night. I purposely held it under my tongue for a whole 25 minutes, and... Nothing. Nada. Zip. Not even the very slightest buzz. So either I am some sort of mutant freak, or this oil is just not well suited for sublingual use. From now on I will just cut to the chase and swallow it down, or add it to something, because this whole under-the-tongue thing appears to be a waste of time.

And now for some good news... About 90 minutes after I swallowed the oil down, I experienced a very decent high. (finally!) Slept like a baby for the rest of the night, which is indeed a rarity for me. Slept right through what would have been my next round of pain meds, so this cannabis oil is already allowing me to reduce my opioid intake. Woohoo!

The bad news... looks like the "weather bomb" which is forecast to hit Newfoundland tomorrow is going to be even more fierce that was initially predicted. The weather office has posted a wind warning, a storm surge warning, and a heavy snowfall warning for tomorrow and Thursday. Looks like 25cm of snow, and winds of 152 km/hour! (95mph) This will mean, at the very least, no electricty/heat... and most likely some pretty serious damage to homes and coastal infrastructure here on our little island off the north coast of the province, which is expected to be hit the hardest. Last time we experienced winds this intense was during Hurricane Igor back in 2010. The day after Igor, most homes here were damaged... missing siding/shingles, blown windows, flattened outbuildings, etc. And yet somehow our 120-year-old abode came through the ordeal completely unscathed. Well, here's hoping that we can make it through these next couple of days.

Marine Atlantic has already cancelled all ferry crossings between Nova Scotia and Newfoundland, so it looks like it will be next week before we see our vaporizer that we've been waiting forever to receive! Oh well, we'll get it eventually. You may not hear from me again if the hydro/phones/internet is down, but I will report back as soon as I am able. Wish us luck!

Glen

Screenshot_20181113-141640_Weather Network.jpg

Screenshot_20181113-194332_Canada Weather.jpg

Wind is picking up now, (124 km/h) and is expected to increase throughout the night to 150+... but so far, so good!

Glen

Screenshot_20181114-191029_Chrome.jpg

stay safe :goodluck:

Thanks, Oldbear! I kept a little journal of our 24 hour ordeal, thought you might find this interesting. Here goes:

Worst winds we have experienced was 173 km/h during Hurricane Igor, (2010) and I honestly thought we were going to perish. If it reaches the 150's this time, with the wind hitting us straight on from the west, it will be a miracle for our house to stay intact. With Igor the winds were angled from the southwest, so was deflected off the corner of our house, but at due west it will hit our home's long side (front wall facing ocean) straight on, and will act as a sail. Scary shit.

Oops, power just went out at 8:30pm. (Wednesday evening)

10:00pm: It is getting much windier, with very strong gusts really rocking the house. We highly doubt that our power will come on anytime soon, as they won't send repair crews out in this weather, and the dangerous winds are expected to last right through tomorrow. (Thursday)

10:30pm: It's already getting chilly in here, and the power has been off for just two hours. We've got every blanket and comforter piled on top of us. If it gets REALLY cold in here later on, we may have to sleep in the SUV with the heat turned on... there should be plenty of room for both of us and our little Chrissy (purebred Shih Tzu) to stretch right out in the back. But we don't have to worry about our Sheba (purebred German Shepherd) getting cold, with that amazing fur coat of hers! (see avatar)

We are worried about all of our neighbours who heat their homes with wood. (about 95% of the local population) With these winds, even the tiniest of a smoldering fire in the woodstove can easily become a raging inferno of a chimney fire in no time at all. (ask us how we know this!) And the biggest fear is that a house fire in this wind would quickly spread from one home to the next; this actually happened many years ago in this community... a bad windstorm, and a chimney fire quickly grew out of control and spread to the house next door, then the next one, and so on. In the end, 5 homes burned to the ground, and 6 people died. You would think, especially after an event like that, that these locals would know better than to have their woodstoves going in hurricane-force winds!

11:00pm: Chrissy is dead to the world, sawing off logs beside me, laying flat on her back with all four legs straight up in the air, while poor Sheba is scared stiff and can't settle down. You'd think that this enormous, strong German Shepherd would fear nothing, but not this girl! She shakes like a leaf!

11:30pm: Well, sitting here in the dark as the house gets colder by the minute, and with our house rocking and vibrating like crazy from hurricane-force winds, there is ZERO chance that we'll be getting any sleep at all tonight. But my tablet is fully charged and currently holds about 300 hours of video, (tons of movies and TV shows which I download, rather than watching on the tv) A good way to pass the time, and hopefully get my mind away from worrying about the roof blowing off! And if I get tired of watching videos, I also have my ereader fully charged with hundreds of books on it. And then there's always the games. Lucky for me, my tablet has an impressive battery life, (14+ hours) and the ereader can actually go a couple MONTHS on a charge!

12:20am: Yikes, winds have been steadily increasing and are now at about 145 km/h. (90 mph) Jeez, we just had a HUGE gust that felt as though the roof was going to come right off. Amazing how the windows are still intact! Man, this is some scary shit!

3:00am: Storm is still gaining strength!! About 155 km/h! Amazing that the house is holding together after all this punishment. Never thought I would feel seasick in my own house!!!

4:30am: Still crazy out there. Still wide awake, as no one could ever sleep through this noise and rocking of the house. Sounds like a freight train coming right through. 8 hours with no hydro and its getting really cold in here! Looking forward to daylight to get some indication of damage.

8:30pm: (Thursday night) We have survived the storm! The power just came back on, a full 24 hours after it cut out! Sheesh, I thought we were going to freeze to death! Our house was a frigid 4C just 30 minutes ago! Made for a loooong night and loooonger day today. We piled on every blanket and comforter in the house. Winds have subsided considerably tonight, so I did a quick walkabout outside, and it appears our house is still in one piece! We didn't lose any siding, and it looks like the shingles on the back half of the house are all there, and tomorrow I will go down to the shore and look back at the front half of the roof, but it looks like we'll be OK. I wish the same could be said for all of our neighbours, whose homes unfortunately took a terrible beating. The neighbourhood is scattered tonight with parts of people's houses... siding, shingles, exterior lights, etc. At the height of the storm winds reached a bit above 160 km/h. On the news they are calling it "the most intense storm on the planet" for last night and today. We had 12 metres waves, (over four stories high) and this was on top of an 8 metre storm surge which coincided with high tide this morning. The old timber wharf (and fishing stage) directly in front of our house was under water this morning... it normally sits a good 10 feet above the waterline. Anyway, just wanted to let you know we're alive and well... and sooooo grateful to have electricity again!

And a bit more bad news... we just learned that there is an intense winter storm with heavy snow and strong winds forecast to hit our island tomorrow night into Saturday. Sheesh!

Glen

Woohoo folks, the vaporizer has FINALLY arrived in our mailbox. (it took a month!) I just started a new thread in the "420 Lounge" under "General 420 Talk". It's entitled "Cannabis Newbie Tests His New Vaporizer", so hopefully you guys can pop over there to check out how I'm making out with my new early Christmas gift! (a hint... it's Awesome!!)

Glen

I am having a tough time trying to determine the difference between "cannabis oil" and "tinctures". Here is the link to an indica-dominant oil that is available at the Gov't of Newfoundland's (legal) online store, and one which I have just ordered:

Plain Packaging Indica Oil

The listing states that this oil "is made with cannabis extract and organic, non-GMO, coconut-derived MCT oil and cannot be smoked or vaporized." Nowhere does the description use the term "tincture", but my understanding is that a tincture is an oil that is applied under the tongue using an eyedropper, and the listing does indeed say that this is how it can be applied. So if this is not a tincture, then what is the difference?

Also, is its 30 mg/ml of THC considered to be a fairly potent level? (keeping in mind that I'm a cannabis virgin!) How many drops under the tongue would you suggest that I start out with?

My apologies for such newbie questions, but I am just now getting into this whole cannabis thing for the first time ever, as it is now legal here in Canada.

Thanks,
Glen
Mate, I am new to pharmacy oil but not to cannabis. I have 10 mg/ml of THC and 10 mg/ml of CBD and I take 0.25 ml under the tounge in an eye dropper and it knocks me around.

heya friend,, tho the difference between a tincture and an oil is so very obvious,, one is not born knowing this and it can be confusing,,

easy peasy

an oil, simpsons oil, infused grapeseed oil, or even infused butter,, all the same,, are oil based, completely oil

a tincture is infused 'alcohol' ,,

darn near the opposite of oil,, and can be used the same as oil,, or differently,,

both are infused stuff,, tho simpsons is pure oil, not infused

cheers friend
BOOM & thanks I was too confused but the process to make seems similar no?

A tincture is cannabis oil in ethanol alcohol (drinkable)
You can make RSO or CCO (concentrated cannabis oil) with ethanol alcohol or a # of different solvents (evaporated off)
Some RSO recipes call for heating the cannabis & solvent & others are quick cold washes (honey oil)
The longer it soaks the more impurities (chlorophyl, plant waxes & lipids) green black oil

Alcohol & solvents strip the most oil from cannabis
You can only squeeze (Press) so much from buds, have to wash it to get all
Coconut & other oils can only remove about 60% of cannabinoids

Back
Top Bottom