Congress Just Ended The Ban On Medical Marijuana

Robert Celt

The federal ban on medical marijuana is finally a thing of the past. Slipped inside a major budgetary spending bill that was purported to prevent the government from shutting down, is an interesting earmarked section that finally lifts the federal ban on medical marijuana.

The relevant excerpt of bill H.R. 83 text reads as follows:

"Sec. 538. None of the funds made available in this Act to the Department of Justice may be used, with respect to the States of Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Hawaii, Illinois, Iowa, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, Oregon, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Utah, Vermont, Washington, and Wisconsin, to prevent such States from implementing their own State laws that authorize the use, distribution, possession, or cultivation of medical marijuana. Sec. 539. None of the funds made available by this Act may be used in contravention of section 7606 ("Legitimacy of Industrial Hemp Research") of the Agricultural Act of 2014 (Public Law 113-79) by the Department of Justice or the Drug Enforcement Administration."

Cassandra Fairbanks, of the Bipartisan Report, notes that "The measure allows states to implement their own policies regarding medical marijuana, meaning the Department of Justice is now barred from interfering with state medical cannabis laws."

"For a long time," Fairbanks explains, "the federal government refused to respect the will of the voters in states with legalized medical marijuana, leading to raids and arrests of doctors, growers, and dispensaries."

This bill was sponsored by Democrat representatives Dana Rohrabacher and Sam Farr. We reported on its passage last year, that was on a temporary basis. But over the summer it was approved over the summer by the House, with 242 votes to 186.

Finally, "the Senate Appropriations Committee subsequently passed the same amendment sponsored by Democratic Senator Barbara Mikulski, by a vote of 21 to 9."

"The renewal of this amendment should bring relief for medical marijuana patients and business owners," Michael Collins, Deputy Director of National Affairs for the Drug Policy Alliance said. "For decades Congress has been responsible for passing disastrous drug laws. It's encouraging to see them starting to roll back the war on drugs by allowing states to set their own medical marijuana policies."

Earlier this year, two congressmen just filed two separate House Bills on Friday that together would legalize marijuana at the federal level. That means an effective end to the U.S. government's prohibition policy on the plant.

Representative Jared Polis (D-Colorado) recently introduced the Regulate Marijuana Like Alcohol Act. This Bill proposes just what it sounds like. Marijuana would be legal, but regulated like alcohol. The Bill would completely remove marijuana from the Controlled Substances Act's schedules.

The Drug Enforcement Administration would no longer have any say or oversight in policing and regulating the plant. Instead, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, would handle regulation of legal marijuana in the same way they regulate alcohol.

Representative Earl Blumenauer (D-Oregon) also introduced the separate Marijuana Tax Revenue Act, which imposes a federal excise tax for regulated marijuana. While that might sound like a huge bummer to marijuana users, it provides a big incentive for politicians to make a progressive move on legalization.

States could still enact their own, individual prohibitions, but the federal ban that exists today would be gone.

Four states as well as the District of Columbia have completely legalized recreational marijuana. Washington DC still prohibits the sale of the plant, however. But beyond that, there are 23 states that have legalized marijuana for medical purposes. Proponents of legalization say it is only a matter of time before there is federal legalization... so what better time than now?

"While President Obama and the Justice Department have allowed the will of voters in states like Colorado and 22 other jurisdictions to move forward, small business owners, medical marijuana patients, and others who follow state laws still live with the fear that a new administration – or this one – could reverse course and turn them into criminals," Representative Polis explained in a statement released on Friday.

"It is time for us to replace the failed prohibition with a regulatory system that works and let states and municipalities decide for themselves if they want, or don't want, to have legal marijuana within their borders."

Representative Blumenauer said that the federal prohibition of marijuana has been "a failure" and a profound waste of tax dollars that have needlessly ruined lives.

"As more states move to legalize marijuana as Oregon, Colorado, Washington and Alaska have done," Blumenauer added, "it's imperative the federal government become a full partner in building a workable and safe framework."

medical-marijuana-dispensary1.jpg

News Moderator: Robert Celt 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Congress Just Ended The Ban On Medical Marijuana
Author: M. David and Jackson Marciana
Photo Credit: None found

Yea, wouldn't you just know that Georgia wasn't on that long list of states, go figure, Doesn't surprise me though :rollingeyes:

I believe this is just a one year (one budget) renewal of the budget language to instruct federal agencies to leave medical marijuana states alone... Not that the federal employees have been paying much attention to congress on this point - which is why the DEA marijuana enforcement budget was cut in half with a threat to cut the other half next year if they keep harassing medical states.

I believe this is just a one year (one budget) renewal of the budget language to instruct federal agencies to leave medical marijuana states alone... Not that the federal employees have been paying much attention to congress on this point - which is why the DEA marijuana enforcement budget was cut in half with a threat to cut the other half next year if they keep harassing medical states.

Maybe, but they could have at least added every state to this list that's even remotely trying to get MMJ laws going, like here in GA? Why would they leave us off this list unless they still want to target us? And with us not on the list they're certain to roadblock us even more than they already have. I guess Georgia peaches are just more low hanging fruit, ripe and sweet for the picking?

Maybe, but they could have at least added every state to this list that's even remotely trying to get MMJ laws going, like here in GA? Why would they leave us off this list unless they still want to target us? And with us not on the list they're certain to roadblock us even more than they already have. I guess Georgia peaches are just more low hanging fruit, ripe and sweet for the picking?

Y'all got to change your laws so that this will apply to you. I didn't vote for Polis last time, but I will next election because he has been pushing this issue in DC, representing my views for about the first time in memory. In Colorado we amended the State Constitution so that the politicians will not be able to change it back. Prohibition is over! Sure, there are tons of regulations that limit every aspect, but tonight I will be working in my little garden, legally smoking and tending to some lovely cannabis plants.
tent-wk4-1_zpsphoq30po.jpg

I don't think it so much that the federal government is singling out steaks like Georgia, what I do think however is that The politicians for the first time in a long time realizing that they have to tread carefully. Marijuana was legal for the longest time and now suddenly in the past 10 years or so public opinion has done a very strong 180 for the most part but there are still enough voters that are against marijuana from being legalized in any form that it threatens a politicians ability to stay in office, which is really what this boils down to, which side of the issue will let them stay in the office and seeing as we are entering the election season, politicians are either not going to rock the boat or rock it on there favor. This is actually the time that marijuana activists should really be stepping it up a couple of notches. If politicians she is strong enough support for marijuana, enough they'll either keep them in office or get them into office then they will side with marijuana advocates.

Y'all got to change your laws so that this will apply to you. I didn't vote for Polis last time, but I will next election because he has been pushing this issue in DC, representing my views for about the first time in memory. In Colorado we amended the State Constitution so that the politicians will not be able to change it back. Prohibition is over! Sure, there are tons of regulations that limit every aspect, but tonight I will be working in my little garden, legally smoking and tending to some lovely cannabis plants.

Yea, and if it were strictly up to me and me alone we would have been the first place on earth to legalize Cannabis, but unfortunately this is still a place where law enforcement is still very military minded and just love hating on Cannabis users and our politicians fully support that line of thinking. I believe they would literally crucify us all if it were legal to do so.

All we can hope for at this point is that legalization will spread like a wild fire from west to east because they start seeing all the vast amounts of money they're missing out on.

All I ask from you guys in those legal states is to please not let things get out of hand and start getting corrupted because that will surly roadblock all the rest of us who still have a huge war going strong as we speak. Y'all just remember that the rest of us are watching everything y'all do and hoping y'all don't mess it up for the rest of us. It's still a very delicate situation for us and you guys are under a microscope at this early stage of the game.

BTW, y'all could still be helping the rest of us out by staying in this fight on the federal level instead of gloating over your individual states rights. Keep in mind that if the wrong people get put in power federally and take a notion to do so, they can start a new campaign with the help of federal agencies to shut down everything y'all worked for up to this point.

Remember that 4 states and one district is still a far cry from federal legalization and what y'all are so busy cheering about is still very much illegal in the eyes of the federal government, so y'all go right and enjoy those little gardens because it's still a crap shoot at this point to whether or not y'all will get to keep them going.

Sure, the winds are favorably changing for us but it's still way too soon to start counting our chickens before they hatch, just sayin...

I don't think it so much that the federal government is singling out steaks like Georgia, what I do think however is that The politicians for the first time in a long time realizing that they have to tread carefully. Marijuana was legal for the longest time and now suddenly in the past 10 years or so public opinion has done a very strong 180 for the most part but there are still enough voters that are against marijuana from being legalized in any form that it threatens a politicians ability to stay in office, which is really what this boils down to, which side of the issue will let them stay in the office and seeing as we are entering the election season, politicians are either not going to rock the boat or rock it on there favor. This is actually the time that marijuana activists should really be stepping it up a couple of notches. If politicians she is strong enough support for marijuana, enough they'll either keep them in office or get them into office then they will side with marijuana advocates.

I couldn't agree more brother, we really need to ramp up our game and see to it that they know we mean business, hence the reason I get so passionate about wanting all of our members here staying strong in the fight by signing petitions and writing letters to our reps.

It doesn't matter if you live in a legal state or not, this fight is still far from over until our federal government reschedules Cannabis and views it the same as alcohol and tobacco. I believe once that happens, the hold out states like mine will one by one start warming up to the idea of recreational Cannabis use, especially if the people really start pushing the issue.

It's about fucking time they did that. Those a$$holes have been sitting in congress knowing that nearly one million people in this country are arrested for weed each year. Maybe that's why the congress has been sitting on this for years. They're attorneys!

It's about fucking time they did that. Those a$$holes have been sitting in congress knowing that nearly one million people in this country are arrested for weed each year. Maybe that's why the congress has been sitting on this for years. They're attorneys!

Exactly right my friend, and more of us are paying the price every everyday. I'ts still a very real and scary thing for allot of people in this country to know we have targets on our backs and that our very lives are in jeopardy and it's down right unsettling to know that we have to go around looking over our shoulders every time we walk out of our front doors because on any given day, our kids could wind up motherless or fatherless all because we choose to live a lifestyle that our officials deem to be bad behavior even though we're not hurting another single soul, including ourselves.

I want to invite anyone here that's interested in helping us build our numbers and fight against federal Cannabis prohibition and have it rescheduled like alcohol and tobacco to join us in this thread;
----> 420 Magazine - Activist Central

We need to know where we stand as far as members willing to help with this fight so please come and help us make our voices heard.

Exactly right my friend, and more of us are paying the price every everyday. I'ts still a very real and scary thing for allot of people in this country to know we have targets on our backs and that our very lives are in jeopardy and it's down right unsettling to know that we have to go around looking over our shoulders every time we walk out of our front doors because on any given day, our kids could wind up motherless or fatherless all because we choose to live a lifestyle that our officials deem to be bad behavior even though we're not hurting another single soul, including ourselves.

I advocate what Rick Grimes and company did, wrap yourself in guts and moan like the walkers moan... Just make sure you don't have someone start talking when your in the middle of a herd. Mushiness "pets" or a viable option as well.

I don't see the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania on that list either. Can anyone postulate as to why all the states weren't included in this list? I plan to relocate out of PA to a legal state ASAP, but I'd like to think there's hope for my home state to somehow join the progressive movement.

There is a difficult adjustment going on in the legal states. There are a flood of people who have moved to Colorado to make their fortune in weed, many of whom are going full on commercial in rental housing, ruining interiors, electrical and pissing off the neighbors, basically doing everything possible to screw things up here. Cannabis should never have been illegal, we are paying the price for that foolishness now that we are trying to adjust to it being a non-criminal activity, if done right, small-scale, within the new regulations. It is tempting to set up a large grow to supply black market sellers, but selling even a single gram is still illegal, unless you pay the bucks for a license, and meet the requirements. It will take time for the new situation to stabilize, which I think will result in much lower prices overall, since the supply will increase. Once the price comes down to Earth, like around $20 an ounce retail, much of the black market will evaporate, but there will be buyers from places like GA, buying legal weed here and taking it back to their cannabis-starved home states. The best way to stop the insanity is to legalize nationally, starting with rescheduling, and allow free and open growing. An oversupply situation would drop the price, which would remove most of the black market incentive and stop the ridiculous incarceration of people who are simply taking what they see as an opportunity. Some of these entrepreneurs are talented growers and clever operation manager-types who could run a legal cannabis operation very well. So come on, vote for people who will make this change. Not intended to gloat here, no wait, maybe the people in legal states should gloat a little, perhaps it will help motivate voters in other places. Bottom line in Colorado, it is working very well and the feds would need to bring the Army if they decided to go against what this state has decided, which is not going to happen. Because legalization is working.

While it is true that we have 4 states and the district of columbia completely legal now look at the numbers. That is less then 10% of the states. Granted other states are likely to follow but they are holding out to see how the 4 states handle this new found freedom. They are being cautious, because they fear letting the genie out of the bottle. It is the responsibility of these 4 states to step up to the plate and be responsible. There will always be people who will not be responsible no matter what happens but the majority needs to do the right thing and lead by example. From what I have seen from these four states so far is the majority have been responsible about it which is great for other states on the edge. Remember even after alcohol prohibition was removed there were still dry states for some time after the fact. Georgia may be one of those states which follows that line of thinking even after the federal government ends the prohibition, but that will be your states decision not the federal governments.

I live in a legal state, and while I am happy to live here, the fight is far from over. People who succumb to complicity, because their state is legal do not show responsibility to the whole. It is very easy to say, I got mine, you guys/gals are on your own, if you wanted it as bad as we did you will get it too. That is just not except-able.

This legislation is a positive step in the right direction, but like 4 states becoming completely legal, it is only a baby step in the right direction. Our cause needs to be grateful for every victory we win no matter how big or small, no matter if it was for our state or for someone else state. They are moving in the right direction, and so long as we stay united and continue to make our voices heard, they will be forced to crack eventually and give in to the peoples choice. Be patient my friends but do not let a few victories go to our heads, this is a war and wining a battle does not mean we have won the war, it only means we are making progress.

The government needs to know, we are committed to our cause, not just our own states cause but our countries cause to end this prohibition and our commitment is unshakable.

And I agree totally with Sativica. it is about fucking time

There is a difficult adjustment going on in the legal states. There are a flood of people who have moved to Colorado to make their fortune in weed, many of whom are going full on commercial in rental housing, ruining interiors, electrical and pissing off the neighbors, basically doing everything possible to screw things up here. Cannabis should never have been illegal, we are paying the price for that foolishness now that we are trying to adjust to it being a non-criminal activity, if done right, small-scale, within the new regulations. It is tempting to set up a large grow to supply black market sellers, but selling even a single gram is still illegal, unless you pay the bucks for a license, and meet the requirements. It will take time for the new situation to stabilize, which I think will result in much lower prices overall, since the supply will increase. Once the price comes down to Earth, like around $20 an ounce retail, much of the black market will evaporate, but there will be buyers from places like GA, buying legal weed here and taking it back to their cannabis-starved home states. The best way to stop the insanity is to legalize nationally, starting with rescheduling, and allow free and open growing. An oversupply situation would drop the price, which would remove most of the black market incentive and stop the ridiculous incarceration of people who are simply taking what they see as an opportunity. Some of these entrepreneurs are talented growers and clever operation manager-types who could run a legal cannabis operation very well. So come on, vote for people who will make this change. Not intended to gloat here, no wait, maybe the people in legal states should gloat a little, perhaps it will help motivate voters in other places. Bottom line in Colorado, it is working very well and the feds would need to bring the Army if they decided to go against what this state has decided, which is not going to happen. Because legalization is working.

Thank you for saying the truth about what the government would have to do in order to recriminalize it! While there may only be for states plus DC that have made a completely recreationally legal, the fact of the matter is that nearly half of the states in the whole union or now using it in some form AND collecting taxes and I just simply don't see any politician getting into a position where they could force nearly half the country to abandon such a tax revenue as what cannabis has become. Money, the politicians drug.

The tax revenue might be what tips the scales in favor of legality. The higher the taxes on cannabis, the more black market traffic will be created. Just like with alcohol. I hope to see a day when we can shop the local farmer's market on Saturday morning, for freshly harvested buds. Why does it seem like every new law creates problems as bad as what the law is intended to change? Repeal of prohibition will be tough in places where there are careers and pensions depending on it remaining illegal. Imagine all the DEA pot task force employees drawing unemployment, creating a drag on the local economies. Hold that thought...:thumb:

The tax revenue might be what tips the scales in favor of legality. The higher the taxes on cannabis, the more black market traffic will be created. Just like with alcohol. I hope to see a day when we can shop the local farmer's market on Saturday morning, for freshly harvested buds. Why does it seem like every new law creates problems as bad as what the law is intended to change? Repeal of prohibition will be tough in places where there are careers and pensions depending on it remaining illegal. Imagine all the DEA pot task force employees drawing unemployment, creating a drag on the local economies. Hold that thought...:thumb:

I imagine that there was the exact same issues following the years running up to the end of Prohibition on alcohol in the country. As with pre-much anything and everything, there will always be a vested interest financially both for something being legal in for something to be illegal. The vested interest in the police to keep it illegal is that it allows them to, and I'm not splitting hairs on this one, steal from the public to fund their own operations/lifestyle and the politicians have allowed it to happen because it meant that they could keep taxes down because the police were generating their own revenue. I imagine that once the prohibition of marijuana is finally removed in its entirety he, that one of the backlash is we will likely see is a increase in taxes so that the politicians can compensate the police for that lost revenue, although probably not by that much seen as law-enforcement won't have to expend resources in chasing down marijuana users and growers and Kim does reassign those resources to other more vital objectives.

I think on the little thing that we have to take into account is that our country isn't what it was 15 years ago. We're far more in the red then we have been at any other time in our nations history and that is causing Natalie or politicians but everyone even at a local level to be both more frugal and to look at alternate ways of generating income. Cannabis and hemp represent a huge potential cash crop for our nation both in money generation but also in money savings, particularly in areas like medicine, textiles, industrial use and so forth. I imagine 5-10 years after full legalization, we will indeed see freshly harvested bugs at the local farmers market, although probably in an 18 years or older section... I want to see a farmers market with a section like that now, lol "yes Siri here's your local room playboy magazine featuring the ninth grade English teacher as the centerfold and two ounces of white widow. That'll be $250."

I don't see the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania on that list either. Can anyone postulate as to why all the states weren't included in this list? I plan to relocate out of PA to a legal state ASAP, but I'd like to think there's hope for my home state to somehow join the progressive movement.

Maybe the states that were omitted from the Spending Bill are states whose lawmakers opted not to be listed, because they disagree with de funding the DEA....?

Maybe the states that were omitted from the Spending Bill are states whose lawmakers opted not to be listed, because they disagree with de funding the DEA....?

Bluku, that was my blonde moment of the morning, not thinking clearly after too little sleep. :laughtwo: Those are the states that have legalized marijuana for medicinal and recreational purposes. Pennsylvania isn't that progressive.

While it is true that we have 4 states and the district of columbia completely legal now look at the numbers. That is less then 10% of the states. Granted other states are likely to follow but they are holding out to see how the 4 states handle this new found freedom. They are being cautious, because they fear letting the genie out of the bottle. It is the responsibility of these 4 states to step up to the plate and be responsible. There will always be people who will not be responsible no matter what happens but the majority needs to do the right thing and lead by example. From what I have seen from these four states so far is the majority have been responsible about it which is great for other states on the edge. Remember even after alcohol prohibition was removed there were still dry states for some time after the fact. Georgia may be one of those states which follows that line of thinking even after the federal government ends the prohibition, but that will be your states decision not the federal governments.

I live in a legal state, and while I am happy to live here, the fight is far from over. People who succumb to complicity, because their state is legal do not show responsibility to the whole. It is very easy to say, I got mine, you guys/gals are on your own, if you wanted it as bad as we did you will get it too. That is just not except-able.

This legislation is a positive step in the right direction, but like 4 states becoming completely legal, it is only a baby step in the right direction. Our cause needs to be grateful for every victory we win no matter how big or small, no matter if it was for our state or for someone else state. They are moving in the right direction, and so long as we stay united and continue to make our voices heard, they will be forced to crack eventually and give in to the peoples choice. Be patient my friends but do not let a few victories go to our heads, this is a war and wining a battle does not mean we have won the war, it only means we are making progress.

The government needs to know, we are committed to our cause, not just our own states cause but our countries cause to end this prohibition and our commitment is unshakable.

And I agree totally with Sativica. it is about fucking time

:thanks: so much for saying it for me and keeping me from getting carpal tunnel from typing so much brother, I swear dude, 2000+ miles away from each other and your still able to read my mind, you've got some serious telepathy my friend.

:Namaste: :nomo: :high-five:

Back
Top Bottom