Conradino23 Keeps On Keeping On Outdoor & Indoor Using LOS/High Brix Methods

Stank has been pollinating pre-flowers. These males are popping pretty early.

Pollinating pre flowers is a great trick for doing some experimental crosses AND still getting a full plant of unseeded buds. Gotta let them veg a bit to get big enough to have several pre flower pistils. Its pretty easy to get 20-40 seeds off pollinating a plant in veg. The cool thing is the seeds will be done long before the buds are done!

Yeah azomite, lava rock dust or similar type of grinded mineral will fix your rare minerals deficit when you cook that soil for the first time. I add about 200 g per 10 kg of soil and it’s usually enough for a few runs.
We have a lot of the granite rocks in our soil here in New England. When I do a lot of outdoor gardening....I pull plants and find the roots stuck to the small granite rocks so you know the plants are leaching everything they get off them. Good stuff that rock dust! I use it quite liberally in my soil as well as in top dressings throughout the grows.

I don't think rockwool would travel in the soil either due to it being so fibrous. If anything it'll disintegrate.

When mixing nutes, sulfur seems to be the most plentiful element, at least in my inventory so when formulating a regimen, I usually get more sulfur than I want. I'm eager to begin mixing soils to see what I can manipulate and unfortunately learn the hard way what I can't manipulate. I hope when that time comes I will be as informed as I could be to have a better show at guessing various ranges. Look at me planning to create problems to fix.
Neither rockwool nor rapid rooters disintegrate in soil. I have composted root balls and the rockwool cube and rapid rooters don't ever break down....at least in my experience. I have one still in my vermicompost bin and its going on 2 years and hasn't diminished one bit in size. I am leaving it in there long term just to see if it EVER breaks down

Less racey - lol.

That something of interest to me for sure.

The Durban version I run is energetic and has a good effect on how music sounds and feels. Makes me wanna dance.
I love me some Durban! Like a big glass of espresso when I smoke a bowl.....very focused and makes even the most mundane tasks interesting! Ms Stank just dropped a couple Durban beans from Cannabiogen. Hoping for a decent male and female to make some more beans.

Playing catch up Cons.....What is MSM and what do you use it for/what does it do?

That’s an organic form of sulphur extracted from tree bark. It’s 99% concentration and food grade... but apparently sulphur is sulphur and weed is very sensitive about it :)

Well sulphur is an important micronutrient and it’s been tested as a terpene stimulant in many aromatic plants, so I decided to try it. In hindsight I’d try it in early flowering and cut the dose by half at least, but it brought some valuable insight. Especially Bubbas got really long and stinky aftertaste, that enhances intensity... it’s a little bit on the nose, but very interesting tweak nonetheless.

I’ve added some to a mix of lithothamnium and fish powder I used to top dress my sativas outdoor. I’ll keep exploring the right concentration and the right time in bloom to get the best effect.

Ok thanks. I know my Gypsum has a lot of sulfur in it as well as another amendment or two that I use in my soil. Never felt to need to add more.....but interesting to know it can influence flavor. I may experiment with adding stuff a specific times. Thank you!

Yeah it’s highly soluble and absorbed as an anion, so it’s mobile and moves around very quickly both in soil and in the plant.

We have a lot of the granite rocks in our soil here in New England. When I do a lot of outdoor gardening....I pull plants and find the roots stuck to the small granite rocks so you know the plants are leaching everything they get off them. Good stuff that rock dust! I use it quite liberally in my soil as well as in top dressings throughout the grows.

Rock dust is great stuff especially when your soil is poor in micronutrients, but it takes years to break it down by fungi, so kinda long term amendment.

Rock dust is great stuff especially when your soil is poor in micronutrients, but it takes years to break it down by fungi, so kinda long term amendment.

Can you speculate why some folks apply their rock dust when transplanting, like the brix kit for example? I'm trying to understand why it's not amended right into the soil before cooking it.

Can you speculate why some folks apply their rock dust when transplanting, like the brix kit for example? I'm trying to understand why it's not amended right into the soil before cooking it.
The initial rock amendment that is added when the soil is mixed takes about 30 days of "cook" time before it's ready to use. The soil should be in perfect balance when done cooking. At transplant we add the Roots! powder to colonize the roots and surrounding soil. After about 3 weeks of flowering another amendment (Recharge) is added to re-balance the minerals in the soil to get the plant to harvest. The re-charge takes about 2 weeks to break down. This also gives us jump on recycling the soil for the next run. If we added the recharge to the soil at the beginning it would throw things out of the proper ratios.

The initial rock amendment that is added when the soil is mixed takes about 30 days of "cook" time before it's ready to use. The soil should be in perfect balance when done cooking. At transplant we add the Roots! powder to colonize the roots and surrounding soil. After about 3 weeks of flowering another amendment (Recharge) is added to re-balance the minerals in the soil to get the plant to harvest. The re-charge takes about 2 weeks to break down. This also gives us jump on recycling the soil for the next run. If we added the recharge to the soil at the beginning it would throw things out of the proper ratios.

When looking at the contents of the dry amendments, I see that only the Roots has the volcanic ash/rock dust, and the First Run and Recharge do not have that in it. Also, is there a difference between First Run and Recharge as the Analysis suggest that the contents of each are identical?

The rock dusts are in the amendments as well.

Am I misunderstanding when the rock dust is added? My research suggests that rock dust is more or less the same as volcanic ash, and is used as a source for micros. The Roots amendment is the product that has the volcanic ash, and since it is used at transplant, that means the micros are not in the soil, and are only added when potting up. I assume there's a good reason for that. BoBrown does something similar with his mix. Con's statement a few post above suggests that he amends his micro source before he cooks it all, and that seems much more logical to me, but because it conflicts with other people's practice, I seek to understand why.

I got enough of it to pollinate my females, but I want more to freeze for the future.

Back
Top Bottom