Conradino23 Keeps On Keeping On Outdoor & Indoor Using LOS/High Brix Methods

Flavour is really nice. I like the smell of this gal especially since I've started getting heavy earthy aromas like coffee & gas. It's definitely berrish though, but sweetness is not as strong as it was a week ago, which is why I also think she's finishing. I harvest by the terps as @Doc Bud does too and it's a real thing. When you keep smelling the plant from the beginning you notice that she undergoes roughly three phases of terp development. Early one is weak and mild and you don't get complexity yet, then in the mid bloom she usually shifts, adds another layer and this changes the spectrum and then you have the last one when she enhances the smell and adds even more aromas and complexity. She won't get better than that and this is usually the sign that she enters the harvest window. You have to wait a few days to make sure that there's no new stuff, but about that time you should prepare for the harvest :smokin:
ive noticed the terps like your talking I also will go by how much water there using and just the general look of the plant and ill notice its not really putting any new growth on these are things i look at to determine if there ready but im going to start paying closer attention to the smell :)

That's a interesting way of looking at the terps in relation to harvest time. I like to see a nice fade and slowing down the water intake. I also like the plant to be somewhat healthy looking. I see some folks run them till they are brown and leaf's drying up into the colas. Not my personal preference. Lol

Thanks for writing that out like that Conrad. I’ve read you a doc mention it before so it’s great to have the reminder :yummy:
:yummy:

Yeah Doc knows this method very well.

ive noticed the terps like your talking I also will go by how much water there using and just the general look of the plant and ill notice its not really putting any new growth on these are things i look at to determine if there ready but im going to start paying closer attention to the smell :)

There are many things that you can look at, trichs maturity is one of them, but you should really look at the behaviour and look of the plant. Did she stop putting on weight? Are pistils mostly orange? Are pistils withering? Has the smell matured and remained unchanged for a few days?

That's a interesting way of looking at the terps in relation to harvest time. I like to see a nice fade and slowing down the water intake. I also like the plant to be somewhat healthy looking. I see some folks run them till they are brown and leaf's drying up into the colas. Not my personal preference. Lol

Healthy look is important, but it's easier to check the Brix. I have a lot of yellowing this time around due to low nitrogen, which is kinda cool, cause I've had to recycle the soil over and over to get it, but I don't think it's a goal we should be striving for. I prefer to harvest shiny green plants if it's possible maybe with few a bottom leaves yellow. I finish them dry though, so usually they're wilted just before harvest.

Both plants at 6 weeks. As you can see there's a lot of yellowing here, so as soon as I harvest these I'm gonna add a few spoons of compost to correct the soil, which now definitely ran out of steam. Enjoy the pics!

:surf:

When you keep smelling the plant from the beginning you notice that she undergoes roughly three phases of terp development. Early one is weak and mild and you don't get complexity yet, then in the mid bloom she usually shifts, adds another layer and this changes the spectrum and then you have the last one when she enhances the smell and adds even more aromas and complexity. She won't get better than that and this is usually the sign that she enters the harvest window.
I've never heard it explained this way but many of my recent harvests have been after they've gone through at least two different phases. One is usually mellow berry and the final is just stink. About 10 days or so after I get bad stink the trichs get into turning amber. So far it's been a good indicator of when to sharpen the axe. Cheers.

I enjoyed that con nice pics of some frosty buds. :)

Hey man, thx a lot. Maybe they'll put up some more frost yet :)

I've never heard it explained this way but many of my recent harvests have been after they've gone through at least two different phases. One is usually mellow berry and the final is just stink. About 10 days or so after I get bad stink the trichs get into turning amber. So far it's been a good indicator of when to sharpen the axe. Cheers.

I think that a lot depends on your method and your nose. Some might not be able to track every smell change in their plants and some just might not get them due to medium or fertilisers they use. Bad stink is usually the sign though, that's the intensity I've been talking about. Plants maximise the production of terps and other volatile compounds when they're at the peak. You really wanna catch them in this window.

Nice looking plants Conradino!
can you bring me up to speed on your hi-brix methods? I don’t know too much about it except maybe mineralizing the soil? Spraying with sugars?

It's not a methodology that can be explained in a paragraph or two, but I'm gonna try. It's based on work of William Albrecht, who came up with a very peculiar soil concept. In a nutshell potassium and phosphorus are brought to minimum and nitrogen is only slightly higher. Then soil is mineralised with calcium, magnesium, iron, zinc, boron etc. in the right proportion. The soil has to have the right CEC, right C:N ratio and the right level of organic matter too.

There's no spraying with sugars here, plant is stimulated to produce a lot of sugars instead, which can be measured by using a refractometer at home or tissue analysis in a lab. You'd have to take something that resembles a course to be able to prepare "high brix soil" yourself... which is why @Doc Bud came up with the kit, that allows to use the method without having all the "arcane knowledge". But he got banned together with a whole bunch of kit users recently and I doubt he'll be coming back.

I tried to explain how to prepare the soil from a scratch to organic and hydro growers, but they struggle with soil analysis, terminology and getting the ratios right. You need serious research and studies before you grasp the concept, which is why I've been usually sending people to Doc's thread, which is now closed. But you can still google him up if you're interested in trying the kit.

Very nice, Brother! :bravo:

Thx man :)

Plants look great man. That BD is shimmering. I to go by terps and overall ripeness of the plant. The smell definitely gets more intense when in the window. When I can smell them downstairs in my bedroom I know they are giving it a last pushminute. Also when my neighbor starts commenting on how delicious it smells when he is on his deck.

How have things been in Italy? Back to everyday stuff or not yet? Everyone started brewing pineapple beer and cider haha. And I've been delivering hash brownie baking kits like crazy so it's been ok for me money wise. Would prefer to do events again but you have to adapt or drown.
Have a good one bud

Thx man! We're in the process of reopening the country, which is very very sketchy. People are running out of money even in the rich north, businesses are going bust, everybody's afraid of getting sick and nobody knows what's around the corner apart of the fact that we're looking at a contraction that we haven't seen since The Great Depression. I say it's just the beginning of it and things will deteriorate much more in the nearest future.

Well I keep growing, cause this is the only currency I can rely on :)

Thx man! We're in the process of reopening the country, which is very very sketchy. People are running out of money even in the rich north, businesses are going bust, everybody's afraid of getting sick and nobody knows what's around the corner apart of the fact that we're looking at a contraction that we haven't seen since The Great Depression. I say it's just the beginning of it and things will deteriorate much more in the nearest future.

I was thinking demand would go down with the lack of income for many but it doesn't seem to be the case here. People need their release. There's a reason they determined liquor stores were essential here.

I think that demand for weed is gonna only go up! Here it's crazy, it's completely dry and people smoke legal hemp flowers instead!

the governor wants to start opening certain businesses and some logistics and do it by county let the counties decide for themselves but no travel around the state stay in your town or area will see how that goes were staying to ourselves for a while still :)

Well it's really up to your governors. However nobody'll push people out of their homes until they feel secure. You have a really worrying trend in US. We sat ducks for 8 weeks in order to flatten the curve and even with all the economic fallout it'd be 2 or 3 times worse if we didn't.

It's not a methodology that can be explained in a paragraph or two, but I'm gonna try. It's based on work of William Albrecht, who came up with a very peculiar soil concept. In a nutshell potassium and phosphorus are brought to minimum and nitrogen is only slightly higher. Then soil is mineralised with calcium, magnesium, iron, zinc, boron etc. in the right proportion. The soil has to have the right CEC, right C:N ratio and the right level of organic matter too.

There's no spraying with sugars here, plant is stimulated to produce a lot of sugars instead, which can be measured by using a refractometer at home or tissue analysis in a lab. You'd have to take something that resembles a course to be able to prepare "high brix soil" yourself... which is why @Doc Bud came up with the kit, that allows to use the method without having all the "arcane knowledge". But he got banned together with a whole bunch of kit users recently and I doubt he'll be coming back.

I tried to explain how to prepare the soil from a scratch to organic and hydro growers, but they struggle with soil analysis, terminology and getting the ratios right. You need serious research and studies before you grasp the concept, which is why I've been usually sending people to Doc's thread, which is now closed. But you can still google him up if you're interested in trying the kit.

Thx man :)

So, it's about getting the ratios balanced according to Albrecht's work? That means you do a soil analysis and adjust your inputs accordingly?

Have you read the writings of Michael Astera? I think he's going in the same direction. Soil Minerals Home: organic garden soil minerals, trace minerals, fertilizers and soil testing for gardens, landscapes, and sustainable agriculture

The doc HighBrix kit seems a little complicated for me, several different foliar and drenches that don't say what ingredients are actually in them.

In my guerrilla grow I amend the soil using very minimal amounts of a balanced organic fertilizer (5-5-5) mixed with a large amount of gypsum for calcium/sulfur. I should pick up a refractometer soon, I've got other crops I would like to get a reading on.

Yes you take a soil sample, you get a lab analysis and the you adjust accordingly.

I checked the link and yes I think his method is similar.

Doc's kit has a lot of foliar sprays, which work with the medium he advises, but for me they're redundant, cause I have everything in my soil already and I don't struggle to keep the balance.

When you get a refractometer a whole new world opens :)

Thanks for the response @conradino23 . That’s kind of what I thought about the foliars. I would think a quality soil and water would be enough.
off topic- do you ever watch the Japanese channel NHK? They have a show called Trails to Tsukigi that shows top notch Japanese farmers raising expensive crops and it usually outlines their techniques. Really informational the refractometer made me think about it. It’s a standard tool for them.

Doc's kit user use soilless medium and R/O water, which makes growing way more difficult and demanding. I prefer to go the easy route :)

No I haven't watched it.

Back
Top Bottom