Considering Switching from Smoking to Eating - what can I expect?

TonyLovesBud

Hi - I'm wondering if someone could answer a few questions for me?

I currently have my own place and as such..I can smoke basically whenever I want to. However - I have become a caretaker to a sick relative and it has been suggested I move in with them. I would be closer to help them and also it would be easier on me financially.

The problem is - I do not want to smoke in their house. I've been hesitating moving in to care with them partly because of this.

Someone suggested I start making a type of butter from the weed and cooking it instead into cookies or brownies. I have never done this and have never tried it.

(1) Are the effects the same? If not - are they still good - but just in a different way?

(2) How long after consumption does it take to feel the effects?

(3) If I smoked partly due to insomnia - will consumption work as well to help me relax and fall asleep?

(4) If I use about a quarter a month of the strong strains....how many baked goods can I expect from this amount? Say - I consumed a cookie each day..how many would a quarter make to feel the effects?

Any advise is greatly appreciated. It's a good opportunity..I just need to figure out a game plan.

The effects from injesting cannabis are quite different than inhaling cannabis and may not bring you the relief/enjoyment you desire. It is a highly individualistic response. I've had people tell me they smoke an ounce a week no problem, but cannot tolerate edibles. Personally, I like both consuming edibles as well as vaping, but I much prefer vaping. Have you thought about vaping instead of smoking as there really are no significant downsides to vaping IMHO. When I quit smoking cannabis over five years ago, it was getting to the point where I was having significant issues with the smoke and its effect on my body. I started vaping late last year and I've not had any issues like I had smoking. There is no lingering odor from vaping like there is from smoking and it definitely does not impact the air quality as badly or as widely as smoking. I can vape in one room of the house with no significant odors much outside my office. You might want to consider that alternative if you find that edibles are not the answer.

It's definitely a different effect. While it takes a little longer to affect you, in comparison to smoking, I've found the high lasts a bit longer. Take into consideration that it takes significantly more bud than with smoking (or, if growing, some trim with heavy trichomes), but the end result may be worth it.

Per previous recommendation, I'd sample it first before deciding to commit. The euphoria from eating cannabis infused products can be very, very heavy. Still, it's quite nice to have some cannabutter around :)

I"m glad to hear that. I need to try it. I have actually made housing decisions based on the ability to smoke weed and have missed some good opportunities. If I can learn how to enjoy ingesting or trying the vaporizer..this would solve a lot of problems.

Vaping still has an odor component to it, some describe it as a nutty popcorn-like aroma, but since it is just vapor, it dissolves into the air instead on lingering and producing stale odors over time. I keep my mulch, the left over plant material after vaporization, in airtight jars and there is no smell at all from storing them in my office for later use in cannabutter/oil making. I've found that I no longer need to use incense to cover the cannabis smoke smell since there isn't any anymore. As long as you have proper ventilation, you should be able to incorporate vaping into your lifestyle should you choose to go that route. Whatever you choose, you will be doing you and your body a huge favor by eliminating smoking from your cannabis routine. :goodluck:

I've been making canna butter with 100% bud recently & find the effects last much longer than smoking...

A slight difference in over all high but butter takes a little longer to take effect e.g 30 mins to a hour etc with a gradule build up lasting a good few hour hours to several and may be felt the next day !

Depending if light or heavy user ?

Butter is best done on a reasonable empty stomach for best effect as eating a main meal some hours later can reduce the effect a little, but consuming more didn't really get me any more wasted during the same day so to speak in till the after effects the next morning when i'm thinking that works a treat...

I find it very good for over all pain relief tho :thumb:

So an oz bud, how long does that last ?

To an oz of bud used in lb of butter... that is the question !

So don't knock it in till ya tried it :peace:

So an oz bud, how long does that last ?

To an oz of bud used in lb of butter... that is the question !

Your experiences match mine as well Fuzzy. With repect to your question, for me an ounce will last 2 months with vaping. An ounce in 2 cups of butter/oil, a relatively common ratio from what I've read, will not last me nearly as long. 2 cups of oil will make around 6 batches of brownies which realistically would last no more than one month at a rate of one or two brownies per day, this would be injesting only with no supplemental vaping. FWIW.

I smoke about a quarter every two weeks of generally strong stuff. However - I currently smoke now to have fun and watch movies or tv for several hours (6 pm when I get home to about 11 pm when I fall asleep). As I would be a full time care-giver after work...I do plan on cutting my consumption a bit. I have had insomnia and trouble sleeping since I was a kid..don't like drinking or OTC drugs to fall asleep (weed was my insomnia cure). The # 1 important thing to me is will it relax me and possibly help me sleep?

One thing I also want to mention is that I live in an apartment that is pretty noisy (other neighbors I mean..music..talking from the halls, etc.)...so when I smoke..the noise doesn't bother me and it helps me sleep through some loud music / parties, etc.

I will be moving to a private room in a house (much quieter) - so the need will not be there to consume as much. More for mild relaxation and enjoyment. No longer just trying to get zonked. So even if the effects are weaker..I'm just hoping there are still some.

Back
Top Bottom