Container size versus plant number, what are the consequences of a rootbound plant?

canabinerd

You can check out my grow in my sig line, but the pertinent details are as follows.

~200 watt CFL's
Strain: G13XSkunk#1, "highly indica"
Day 4 of flower, (recieved a full 8 weeks of veg from germination).
Containers: currently Hydrofarm 6X6X8 square pots.
Plant size: approximatey 15-18 inches in height.
Cabinet size: 15"x24"x48"
Grower: relative newbie and this is the first serious grow I have done as an adult.

Plants are healthy and I have not had any major issues so far in my grow. However, I am quickly approaching a point where I need to make a decision. Which is whether to transplant into bigger pots and probably give away a plant (as there will not be room in my cabinet for more than two 3gal smart pots {which are 11" in diameter}), or to keep growing in the ~1gal containers even though this will not be ideal given the finished plants will probably be in the range of 24-36".

I'm currently keeping 5 plants, three of which I am positive are female and two which are probably male (and will most likely be culling in the next 7-10 days). Of the three that I am sure are female, one has a genetic abnormality which makes one half of a primary leaflet to be yellow and shrunken and therefore the primary leaflet curves. But other than that, the plant has been vigorous, healthy, was the first to preflower and has good tight internodal spacing. But, if I had to choose one to get rid of, she would be the one because the deformed, half yellow leaves piss me off. On the other hand, I've put over two months of hard work into her and she'll probably give good bud and could possibly give better bud than the other two, so I wouldn't mind seeing what she produces rather than giving her away.

So, my question is...what should I do? First off, will two plants with probably better light penetration and better root structure significantly outproduce three plants that may be somewhat rootbound and have less light penetration? Or, is light my limiting factor (as I'm only using ~200 watts of CFL's) and will my yields be roughly the same whether I grow 3 slightly root bound plants or 2 plants with plenty of root ball?

Re: Container size versus plant number, what are the consequences of a rootbound plan

When a plant is rootbound it will not grow anymore. It stop it's vigorous growth and halt, which costs you time and money because your paying for light and nutrients/water.

Back
Top Bottom