Controlled Space Grow Tent Design

spinosa

I'm looking at a grow room setup, and could do with some opinions on my plan. The biggest problem I have is the climate where I live. Summer day time temps can sometimes spike to 80f and winter temps are around freezing (sometimes below) with high RH. My only option really is to grow in an uninsulated garage, so those temps are going to be a problem on a 5 month sativa grow.

So I'm starting to wonder about simply building an outer skin for the grow tent, giving perhaps a foot of space on three sides, and maybe 2-3 feet of extra space on one side. I could insulate this space quite comfortably. I could place a lot of the power sockets inside the second skin, and place a heater, dehumidifier and possibly even an air conditioner in there when / if needed.

Additionally, I'd also add some extractor holes in the second skin so that I could choose whether to draw intake air from outside the second skin or inside the insulated space, and whether to allow exhaust air to escape to the outside in high temperatures, or recirculate it inside during colder weather. Obviously I'd need to be able to close those vents off to keep the second skin sealed at all times.

What do you guys think of this? As far as I can see, it means I have a much smaller space to heat and dehumidify, it's much better insulated, and keeps everything tidy. I'm looking at a very small NFT grow, so nutrient temps could be a problem but I can chill those quite easily. I think the biggest risk is high air temperatures, but I'll be using a Co2 bag, so the high day time temps should be fine for lights out, and I'll go lights on in the evening when temps are cooler. I also plan on using air cooled lighting, so I think it should be ok, by extracting outside the controlled space.

And finally, I'd look to make the grow from August to December, which are probably the least extreme months for temperature here.

I'd really appreciate any thoughts on this, as I'm sure I've missed some potential risks. I'm probably not looking to grow until next year, so have plenty of time, and it would be good to use it wisely to try to foresee any possible problems. So please, critique away :)

Thanks in advance!

Not very effectively, no. Besides, I’m only looking at weekend personal use, so a single plant will see me going for a year or two. On that basis, growing my own is already overkill, but it’s so much safer than any other method.

Back
Top Bottom