Converting Fertilizer NPK Ratings to PPM and Teaspoons per Gallon

Smokin Moose

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex Moderator
One can estimate the parts per million in solution (ppm) produced by a quantity of fertilizer in a gallon of water, based on the fertilizer's N-P-K rating.

For each number in the rating apply the following formula:

> one teaspoon (5ml) of a given fertilizer in a gallon of water
(10xN)÷ 0.768 = ppm

> one tablespoon (15ml) of fertilizer in a gallon of water:

(10xN)÷ 0.256 = ppm

Example: Peter's Professional All-Purpose Fertilizer with N-P-K rating of 20-20-20.

(10x20)÷.768=260.4 ppm

Therefore, one teaspoon (5ml) of Peter's Professional All-Purpose 20-20-20 in one gallon of water will produce a solution that contains approximately 260.4 ppm of Nitrogen, 260.4 ppm of P (P2O5), and 260.4 ppm of K (K2O) for a TOTAL ppm of approximately 781.3 .

Explanation

It's important to understand that with the term "parts per million," we are expressing a measurement in terms of a RATIO, which, like miles per hour or pounds per square inch, is a relation in degree or number between two separate measurements. "Parts per million" is a common way of expressing the measurement of the dilution of something in solution, which for our purposes here, is the dilution of fertilizer components in water. It just so happens that fertilizer N-P-K ratings are also ratios, as is the measurement of teaspoons per gallon.

Parts per million is most often alternately expressed as milligrams per liter because it's so easy to convert due to the efficiency of the metric system: 1000 milligrams = 1 gram and 1000 grams of water = 1 liter; 1 thousand x 1 thousand = 1 million; voilá- parts per million.

Fortunately, the "parts" in "parts per million" are generic. It can be parts of a teaspoon just as easily as it can be parts of a gram. N-P-K ratios are also generic expressions of percentage, or parts per hundred. Unfortunately, 1 gallon does not equal 1 thousand teaspoons; it takes 768 teaspoons (or 256 tablespoons) to equal one gallon. But by knowing this, one ratio can be converted into the terms of another ratio, which is what the formulas above do.

Remember:

Before relying on these formulas to fertilize your grow, you should be absolutely aware that N-P-K ratings don't necessarily precisely describe the amount of each nutrient in the fertilizer, but instead describe the minimum amount of nutrient to be found, as explained in Mr.Ito's excellent FAQ on the subject.

The only way to know for certain the ppm of your fert mix solution is to measure it's EC, with an electronic TDS meter as you mix it. If this isn't possible, at the very least try to use only high-quality fertilizer brands with reputations for their accuracy and consistency of their analyses and products.

This isn't correct. It takes less mL of K to make higher ppms. So

a 20-20-20 will not be equal in ppm.

It is more like

N 264, P 116, K 219

There is a different formula for each N P K and the ppms conversion.

Fertilizer PPM Calculator

Never limit your understanding to a single source of information. Being new myself, I could not begin to guess who is right or wrong. For simplicity's sake I'll assume they are both right under the conditions of their studies and move on. after following LEDRF's link, I read and the "NOTE" portion quickly revealed that trace elements and dissolved solids within the water itself slightly alter the factors. I'm coming to understand that knowing the exact elemental content in a system will not be known down to the smallest particle, but rather a pretty close knowledge is the best a grower can achieve and learning the nature of the plant that is grown, the grower understands the range of nutrient level fluctuation that is optimal and the plant itself determines how much of what it will uptake and when.

I'm guessing it's a lot like raising a kid, there is no exact science, just a lot of love and giving your absolute best and hope you don't F up too bad.

Im newbie and bloody lost tds ppm ec I need help with mathematics iI'm in uk so we are in litres mls and mg's milligrams so this was interesting and thoughtful but very confusing lol

Back
Top Bottom