420 Magazine Background

Convicted Cannabis User Threatens Hunger Strike

MedicalNeed

A Timaru man convicted of cannabis charges - including cultivation - says he will go on a hunger strike if he goes to jail tomorrow.

Peter Davy says he grew the plants for medicinal use and was trying to refine them to help his partner who suffers from multiple sclerosis.

Davy's biggest worry if he goes to jail is who will look after his sick partner, Tracey Perrin, who has multiple sclerosis and needs 24-hour care.

“I told Tracey that I would be there at the end, if anything happens to her I might not be there. If I get sent to prison she will have to go to a rest home,” he says.

Ms Perrin says she can’t stand to be away from Davy.

“He is my best friend,” she says.

“Going to a rest home…they may as well send me to jail - it's the same thing.”

Davy's threatening a hunger strike if he goes to jail.

He says he grew the 45 plants because it helps ease the pain he gets from a tumour in his pituitary gland.

The former IT engineer claims he was experimenting to get the right sort of plant for the pain he and his partner suffer, in other words medicinal marijuana.

“The only thing that's ever worked for me is cannabis and I’m not allowed to take it, if I take it I go to prison - those are the choices, suffer or go to prison,” says Davy.

Medicinal cannabis is legally available in many parts of Europe, Canada, and some areas of the United States. Campaigners want it legalised here.

The case has attracted the attention of those wanting a law change, protesters backed Davy at his last court appearance.

“He is clearly a medicinal user. The police have provided no evidence of any kind that he is a dealer, he says he's growing for medicinal use,” marijuana campaigner Phil Saxby.

The judge is not allowing a camera in court but there will be plenty of action outside.

Supporters of the medicinal use of marijuana will be staging a protest.

NewsHawk: MedicalNeed: 420 MAGAZINE
Author: Jeff Hampton
Source: 3news.co.nz
Copyright:2011 3news.co.nz

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom